Local TV Ads You Don't Like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

A friend of mine once told me that sausage products are "compressed waste", consisting of those ground-up mixed meats and by-products that would never be sold as a standalone food in and of themselves.

That said everytime I hear the name "Redondos", I can't forget the slogan "Redondos sausage turns me on."
    Last edited by mel; September 20, 2005, 04:33 AM.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

A poorly shot/written spot is the product of a $500-$2500 budget and over worked production employees/interns.

On OC16 it's about 70% "talking heads" and lets not forget most of the "actors" are friends of or employees of the client.

I too am disgusted with some of the local spots, but I'll be danmed if don't remember their name just as quick as a brand name despite the production/copy writting.

It's not the quality anymore, it's about in your face.

Comment

A poorly shot/written spot is the product of a $500-$2500 budget and over worked production employees/interns.

On OC16 it's about 70% "talking heads" and lets not forget most of the "actors" are friends of or employees of the client.

I too am disgusted with some of the local spots, but I'll be danmed if don't remember their name just as quick as a brand name despite the production/copy writting. Wheather it's helping the product, there's no way to know.

It's not the quality anymore, it's about in your face.

Comment

The ad that I hate is the Haoli Termite "hula" ad. It offends the beauty of hula and I'm surprised Hawaiians don't react to this spoofing of thier culture.
          Last edited by alohabear; September 20, 2005, 09:03 AM.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Check out "local" ads in comparable markets on the Mainland and you'll see we don't do too badly.
            OTOH...
            In a former life in the ad business I worked on TV ads here that resound with glory even today. Tire Warehouse, why pay more! Magoo's Pizza, where delivery boys are struck senseless by cleavage! Al Phillips the Cleaner, with Aku in the shadows, giving you the creeps! Ted Sax's Pupu PUPS! (Uuuurrrp!) Long's Drugs, hurling Emma Veary into a special hell reserved for desperate fading stars!
            The ad agency I was at had a 50 percent staff turnover every month. Wonder why.

Comment

Originally posted by FreaknHaole
              Check out "local" ads in comparable markets on the Mainland and you'll see we don't do too badly.
              Very TRUE! Each local cable division has production for M&P's just like OC.

I will say one thing about Hawaii local production......too many singing spots! It sounds like the same mainland company has a lock on the gig. They have sounded the same for the last 10 years.

Comment

The Ad that irritates me...is that "woman" who changes characters for various foods products when somebody calls to ask her/him to cook because unexpected guests are coming. Change of clothing, voice still the same? Nothing funny or unusual...just DUMB!

They should have seen me in TIMES today! I had everybody rolling with the 18 eggs special! Sold some too. They thought I was doing a commercial! LOL

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

A few years ago Channel 2 did a house ad touting their news personalities. Showing them typing, looking at monitors, talking, driving, that sort of thing. But the music used was Hans Zimmer's impossibly heroic theme from "Backdraft." One long glorious universe-saving crescendo! Mother Teresa didn't deserve such grand music! Jesus Christ himself on the cross would have said, dudes, that's over the top. It always made me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by FreaknHaole
                    OTOH...
                    In a former life in the ad business I worked on TV ads here that resound with glory even today. Tire Warehouse, why pay more! Magoo's Pizza, where delivery boys are struck senseless by cleavage! Al Phillips the Cleaner, with Aku in the shadows, giving you the creeps! Ted Sax's Pupu PUPS! (Uuuurrrp!) Long's Drugs, hurling Emma Veary into a special hell reserved for desperate fading stars!
                    The ad agency I was at had a 50 percent staff turnover every month. Wonder why.
                    You're right...by comparison to other local markets we hold up pretty well. And, like other local markets there's a wide disparity in advertising and production budgets. The difference between, say, an OC16 and an Ala Moana Center production budget is huge and it shows in the concept and quality. So many of the smaller advertisers don't have a large enough budget to hire an ad agency so all of their creative work is done 'in house' with the spot being produced by one of the local tv stations which tends to package production and air time costs. Sometimes the stations even throw in the creative. Ad agencies and production companies add huge bucks to advertising costs. The smaller advertisers are doing the best they can with what they've got.

Long's? Ted Sax? Me too!!!

Comment

ho man I just saw the hauoli termite tv spot.
                      that is like a mainland cheap thoughtless commercial. Like a very bad hawaiian theme party in california fulla insulting callous drunks you really feel like leaving quickly.
                      So disrespectful. this is very much an insult.
                      I am amazed they did this.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        ho man I just saw the hauoli termite tv spot.
                        that is like a mainland cheap thoughtless commercial. Like a very bad hawaiian theme party in california fulla insulting callous drunks you really feel like leaving quickly.
                        So disrespectful. this is very much an insult.
                        I am amazed they did this.
                        So ... are you saying that anything that you perceive as thoughtless or disrespectful to "local" (asian, hawaiian, portuguese, whatever) culture must have come from the mainland?

hmmm ...

Sounds like a cop-out.

How about this: When local ads are bad, how about criticizing them within the context of their "local-ness"? How about putting the responsibility where it belongs?

When I go to the mainland, and I see bad or offensive "local" ads there, I don't compare them to Hawaii ads. I don't sit there and say, "Gawd, this ad is so offensive, it's like it came from some Hawaii company. So offensive. I can't believe they did this."

So ... why is it that when a local ad is offensive, you compare it with mainland ads?

Comment

Mainland ads about Hawaii always make me want to visit there, and then I think, wait, I'm already here. It ain't that great. But it's better than the Mainland.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            party in california fulla insulting callous drunks
                            Yep. Everyone in California is like that.

Comment

I have met too many of them.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                                So ... are you saying that anything....
                                yes.
                                no,
                                yes,
                                yes.
                                possibly,