Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 222

Thread: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

  1. #176

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    WB - what commercial is this?
    http://www.yelp.com/topic/honolulu-a...ls-that-bug-me

    O'Tooles.

  2. #177
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    165

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    WB - what commercial is this?
    The one for O'Toole's

  3. #178
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    I've never seen a commercial for O'Tooles!
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    Ė Sydney J. Harris

  4. #179
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    I've never seen a commercial for O'Tooles!
    It's been airing for years. You could've easily seen it and not remembered the advertiser!

  5. #180
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    well then - according to your past statements, it's not very effective is it?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    Ė Sydney J. Harris

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    well then - according to your past statements, it's not very effective is it?
    Bingo! When WB first mentioned the reaction shot I could see the scene but I couldn't remember the name of the advertiser.

  7. #182
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    The ad for Jack's Tile And Stone has aired so darned often it's finally become quite annoying.
    That's the one with the young (3? 4?) child who, at the end of the commercial, says two sentences that are 99% unintelligible. (And she sounds like she's been inhaling helium.) I used to just ignore her saying "wefoih kjh ioubb vakjh. ljheg dhip oiht." But after a few months I decided to try to interpret what she was saying, so each time the commercial came on I'd try to pick out individual words. As best I can tell, she's saying "Call my Uncle Jack. He's the best."
    I think.
    The commercial has aired for at least a year, so they oughta re-shoot it and perhaps she's learned to speak better.
    Putting your kids/relatives in your commercial may be a cute idea, but not if they can't be understood.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    The ad for Jack's Tile And Stone has aired so darned often it's finally become quite annoying.
    That's the one with the young (3? 4?) child who, at the end of the commercial, says two sentences that are 99% unintelligible. (And she sounds like she's been inhaling helium.) I used to just ignore her saying "wefoih kjh ioubb vakjh. ljheg dhip oiht." But after a few months I decided to try to interpret what she was saying, so each time the commercial came on I'd try to pick out individual words. As best I can tell, she's saying "Call my Uncle Jack. He's the best."
    I think.
    The commercial has aired for at least a year, so they oughta re-shoot it and perhaps she's learned to speak better.
    Putting your kids/relatives in your commercial may be a cute idea, but not if they can't be understood.
    I've been waiting for someone to comment on this spot! Your interpretation is correct. It took me listening carefully at least 10 times to decifer what she was saying. She can't be more than 2 years old. Using family in commercials is a cost saving measure!

  9. #184
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Aloha Kia's Cash for Clunkers spot, the one with the Obama voice imposter, has been run into the ground! Ugh!

  10. #185
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Central Oahu
    Posts
    774

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    She can't be more than 2 years old. Using family in commercials is a cost saving measure!
    Shucks, he should pay her scale, get her a SAG card, and start up her Roth IRA...
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by Nords View Post
    Shucks, he should pay her scale, get her a SAG card, and start up her Roth IRA...


    Since it was a non-union job, she probably was paid scale...zero! Or, possibly, she got a new toy that she wanted!

  12. #187
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    There's a local carpet store with a new ad featuring an Obama look-alike pretending to be the president.
    The 'look-alike' is black, but other than that he looks as much like Obama as my avatar does.
    The actor's voice is about two octaves higher than Obama's, and he doesn't use any of Obama's inflections or pauses.
    Horrible ad. Pull it off the air. On a scale of 1 to 10, it's a zero.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  13. #188

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    I don't know if it's a local tv ad or part of a newstory. He mentioned he got goosebumps. He supposed to say he got chicken skin.

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    10,145

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    I suspect that the Aloha Kia ads with the rapping big rodents would fit into the Least Favorite National TV Ads thread but the way its aired here is done twice in a row.

  15. #190

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    There's a local carpet store with a new ad featuring an Obama look-alike pretending to be the president.
    The 'look-alike' is black, but other than that he looks as much like Obama as my avatar does.
    The actor's voice is about two octaves higher than Obama's, and he doesn't use any of Obama's inflections or pauses.
    Horrible ad. Pull it off the air. On a scale of 1 to 10, it's a zero.
    That is Sid Milburn who works at KITV, he also plays the part of Obama at the annual Gridiron plays. I read recently something about the White House not being happy with someone playing the part (i.e. his likeness) of Obama in advertisements...but this was a specific ad on the mainland and not this particular one in Hawaii.

    Anyway Erika did a piece on this subject a couple months back:

    http://www.staradvertiser.com/column...bama_ads.html#

  16. #191

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Remington College ads continue to be an embarrassment to the students that attend the school. Are you afraid of "mean instructors" at college?? Then instead go to Remington, according to the pitchman (Tiny T.). Want a college to attend that is "Wow, just like High School"? Then go to Remington, he advises. If I was a student there, I'd be upset that I was being represented as not being able to emotionally hack it at a University.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

  17. #192
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Greater Kihei
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    That one is bad, another one that has to go is "Poncho's" My solar guy, I mean it really Blows!!!

  18. #193

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    My solar broken, I don't know why.

    I must call Poncho, my solar guy.

    I buy, from him way back.

    Save plenty money, my wallet fat.

    He fix for me, he'll help you through.

    Call Poncho Solar, that's what we do.
    When I first saw that commercial, I thought, what da hell??? Talk about corny. But it's deliberate, and meant to stand out from all the other commercials that are supposedly more polished and professional looking.

    Say what you want about the singer and the guitar music. The song is catchy and its stuck in my mind after several viewings. I know I'm not the only one who's able to recall the lyrics. So as far the composer of that jingle is concerned,.... well done. Mission accomplished.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  19. #194
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kahalu`u Stream
    Posts
    2,933

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Anything with Jake Shimabokuru and his smoking ukulele (or even without, as in those 'bug' commercials)!

    I am so sick of seing his smiling phoney face on TV, I actually change channels to avoid it. BARF! (IMNSHO)
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

  20. #195
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lihue
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Anything with Jake Shimabokuru and his smoking ukulele (or even without, as in those 'bug' commercials)!

    I am so sick of seing his smiling phoney face on TV, I actually change channels to avoid it. BARF! (IMNSHO)
    I despise those ads as well.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite


    flickr

  21. #196

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by Mauibuzz View Post
    That one is bad, another one that has to go is "Poncho's" My solar guy, I mean it really Blows!!!
    Yep, another commercial that some adman thought would catering to those who cannot hack life in the modern world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Anything with Jake Shimabokuru and his smoking ukulele (or even without, as in those 'bug' commercials)!
    That ad disturbs my peaceful naps.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

  22. #197

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Uggggghhh, the stupidity of current Jack in the Box ad where the man is in love with his bacon. He [groom] marries his bacon sandwich [bride]. Then it is announced at the wedding "You may now eat the bride". (I'm sure the double entendre was hilarious to the tee-heeing ad-men behind closed doors.)
    Last edited by Amati; March 15th, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

  23. #198
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by Amati View Post
    Uggggghhh, the stupidity of current Jack in the Box ad where the man is in love with his bacon. He [groom] marries his bacon sandwich [bride]. Then it is announced at the wedding "You may now eat the bride". (I'm sure the double entendre was hilarious to the tee-heeing ad-men behind closed doors.)
    R-e-a-l-l-y dislike that spot. REALLY! I think it first aired during the Super Bowl and got good reviews...probably due to a lot of beer drinking and the double entendre! (pssst...Amati? It's not a local commercial! I'd be doubly disgusted if it was!)

  24. #199

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by Amati View Post
    Uggggghhh, the stupidity of current Jack in the Box ad where the man is in love with his bacon. He [groom] marries his bacon sandwich [bride]. Then it is announced at the wedding "You may now eat the bride". (I'm sure the double entendre was hilarious to the tee-heeing ad-men behind closed doors.)
    Does Jack in the Box now have Pork Grinds?

  25. #200

    Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    (pssst...Amati? It's not a local commercial! I'd be doubly disgusted if it was!)
    Yeah, I mixed up my "searches" and posted in the wrong forum.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •