Local TV Ads You Don't Like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

First off, apologies for sharing this in the "Local TV Ads You Don't Like" thread... since it's not really a bad ad. Pretty conventional... mediocre, actually. But since it certainly doesn't qualify as a favorite local ad, and since I'm ultimately poking fun at it, this is the best place to do it.

I'm talking about a recent First Hawaiian Bank commercial, promoting its "Priority Rewards" card. It talks about various benefits, as you might imagine, involving local stores and restaurants (Foodland and Roy's are depicted). But one video clip in the ad sticks out like a sore thumb to me... one, because it's a way, way overused piece of stock video footage (you see the same telemarketers in stock photo sets!), and two, because of the point it's ironically being used to emphasize.

And because I'm feeling a bit loopy, I decided to make a little video to share my bemusement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xaqXGCFSmY

Comment

The one I can't stand is the anti-smoking commercial with the young kids on it doing slam poetry reciting smoking statistics. Know the one I'm talking about? It's so irritating I actually forget what I'm watching and change the channel.

Comment

Can't stand the Zippy's ad where a local girl gives credit to
        Zippy's for her higher ed and then is proud to announce she
        got a degree and then went back to become manager of yes, a Zippy's!
        So contrived. Couldn't they at least have let her go on to manage
        a... Ross?

Comment

Thank goodness one that bugs me is one I haven't seen in weeks, but was seeing it every dang night during the ten PM news. It was some bank and they had people dancing like idiots in their bank lobby cuz they were giving some hand-held musical device away. Sigh....annoying as heck and not what would make me consider banking with anyone.

I doubt this is the only one that bugged me but it came to mind cuz I felt I saw it a thousand times and uh, two was enough.
          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
            Thank goodness one that bugs me is one I haven't seen in weeks, but was seeing it every dang night during the ten PM news. It was some bank and they had people dancing like idiots in their bank lobby cuz they were giving some hand-held musical device away. Sigh....annoying as heck and not what would make me consider banking with anyone.[...]
            That commercial aired a year or 2 ago...for a brief time when CPB was offering free iPods when opening a new Exceptional account. That ad also won awards. It made me laugh every time I saw it! Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks! And, for the few of you who know my vocation...no...I didn't work on that spot!

I'm one who really likes when a bank breaks out of their traditional, conservative advertising mode. That doesn't mean I like all the non-traditional bank spots...just that I appreciate taking a leap of advertising faith and trying something different. That's always a costly risk.

Comment

Howdy again, gal!

KGMB newstime it aired as recently as Christmas, and most of this winter. It wouldn't have come to mind if it had been that long ago for me.

The dog, that beautiful and intelligent miniature collie, is it? Now those commercials with him and not all the goofy dancing, they rock. May even be the same bank, I can't recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                Howdy again, gal!

KGMB newstime it aired as recently as Christmas, and most of this winter. It wouldn't have come to mind if it had been that long ago for me.

The dog, that beautiful and intelligent miniature collie, is it? Now those commercials with him and not all the goofy dancing, they rock. May even be the same bank, I can't recall.
                Aha! CPB did resurrect the iPod/Exceptional account offer last winter. That said, I didn't watch much tv during that time! If you haven't seen the commercial recently then the offer expired but could, once again, be resurrected in the future. That means the commercial can reair!

The collie and the iPod offer are the same bank...Central Pacific Bank. The collie is the "mascot" for their general banking ads. The iPod is specific to a special account offer.

Gal? Hmmm...

Comment

LOL "Gal" cuz of the 'ole texan coming out when I'm typing quickly and in a good mood, which I usually am. I could call ya "chick" and that'd be the old hippe gal coming out in me, but I know better since you might not appreciate the name "chick" as much as I do. I call old friends from the seventies that, sometimes.

Comment

the worst commercials ever in Hawaii:

1) the Duke Bainum for Mayor ad where the young girl was singing off-key:

"Let's live together, love one another, let's get together with Dr. Bainum". God that commercial still has me traumatized.

2) Any Mike Gabbard commercial that reads the letters his daughter Tulsi wrote from the middle east.

3) The Charles Djou ad that ended "Charles Djou...REMEMBER.THAT.NAME"

4) a commercial that only aired late at night, and not very often for some furniture store I think, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, the commercial started out showing a weiner dog, then they went on with the commercial talking about the furniture store. then like out of nowhere, and like a subliminal message, they flash the weiner dog again on the screen. My wife and I laughed so hard because we were like "what the hell kind of commercial was that?". I wished I would have dvr'ed it, because I would have totally youtubed it.

Comment

All of the Pro-Rail advertisments are annoying since most appear during the local news.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I also dislike the cpb ad with the dancing ipod people. I also dislike the Bankoh "Das My Bank" guy/series. Though I know some people love it. Sadly, IMO good taste in bank ads seems to have passed away with "Harry and Myra".

Comment

I hated the Harry & Myra BOH ads. Also hate the current "Das My Bank" campaign.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I hate the Geico talking gecko with a British accent. I seriously doubt gecko's could talk li'dat.

Also the AIG rip off of Mission Impossible music with money falling our of people's purses.

All this car insurance spending says to me that there must be a lot of profit insuring cars, if they can spend as much as they are promoting it!

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
                              I hate the Geico talking gecko with a British accent. I seriously doubt gecko's could talk li'dat.

Why? They should talk more like pidgin? Coo coo?
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                                Sadly, IMO good taste in bank ads seems to have passed away with "Harry and Myra".
                                They're cute in that Rappin' Granny kind of character in that Adam Sandler movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X