Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
    I also dislike the cpb ad with the dancing ipod people. I also dislike the Bankoh "Das My Bank" guy/series. Though I know some people love it.
    That Bankoh campaign no longer exists and has been replaced with another campaign. That happened a year or 2 ago. Personally, I love the CPB/iPod dance spot. Diff'rent strokes, yada, yada!
    Sadly, IMO good taste in bank ads seems to have passed away with "Harry and Myra".
    The ad that you linked was shot outside my condo in Makaha 2 days after Iniki. I opened my drapes in the morning to find a film crew staring back at me...and I knew all of 'em!!! All of us were surprised to see each other! I was still in the process of moving in.

Bank ads were conservative for so long. I LOVE it when a bank agrees to stretch an ad concept. The Harry and Myra spots were very brave for their time. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Comment

yikes! you lived there? So that means that was all staged, or you were really moving into a disaster area!

==================
      Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      That Bankoh campaign no longer exists and has been replaced with another campaign. That happened a year or 2 ago. Personally, I love the CPB/iPod dance spot. Diff'rent strokes, yada, yada!

The ad that you linked was shot outside my condo in Makaha 2 days after Iniki. I opened my drapes in the morning to find a film crew staring back at me...and I knew all of 'em!!! All of us were surprised to see each other! I was still in the process of moving in.

Bank ads were conservative for so long. I LOVE it when a bank agrees to stretch an ad concept. The Harry and Myra spots were very brave for their time. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Comment

yikes! you lived there? So that means that was all staged, or you were really moving into a disaster area!
        Nothing was staged. The opening shot is another property in Makaha. After that, it's my condo building. The Waianae Coast was the hardest hit area on Oahu...a disaster. It's amazing to think how fast that PSA was pulled together...in just a couple of days and over a week-end. Iniki hit on Friday and the PSA was shot on Monday.

By the time Iniki hit (9/11/02...what is it with 9/11 anyway?) I'd owned my condo for 4 years. It was a rental unit until I decided to move into it Sept. 1992! "Timing!", as my dad said!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Nothing was staged. The opening shot is another property in Makaha. After that, it's my condo building. The Waianae Coast was the hardest hit area on Oahu...a disaster. It's amazing to think how fast that PSA was pulled together...in just a couple of days and over a week-end. Iniki hit on Friday and the PSA was shot on Monday.

By the time Iniki hit (9/11/02...what is it with 9/11 anyway?) I'd owned my condo for 4 years. It was a rental unit until I decided to move into it Sept. 1992! "Timing!", as my dad said!
          ========================
          ahh soo desu nee...

Getting back on thread, another local blitz that I did not really care for was the cpb loyalty dog campaign. It seemed like a far-"fetched" idea...yuk yuk yuk
          Ironically, I am a loyal customer of CPB.

Comment

========================
            ahh soo desu nee...

Getting back on thread, another local blitz that I did not really care for was the cpb loyalty dog campaign. It seemed like a far-"fetched" idea...yuk yuk yuk
            *groans*

Please tell me you're not a comedy writer.

Anyhoo, the lassie crap is annoying already. I don't know why they used a more local poi dog. Must be written by a mainlander (yes, I'm trying to avoid the "H" word).
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

What's that commercial with the guy that's all "No Can!! Can? No can!! Can!" Boy, that commercial is annoying!
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post

While this is a rerun, I have to start off with a classic of bad local ads with the Oceanic commercial featuring the over-eager cable technician and the disinterested, pouty woman. For all the effort put into the lighting and sets, the ad itself just grates.

The reason it popped back into my head, though, is because there's now a second local TV ad that has almost the exact same character scenario - a bright-eyed and eager guy suggesting exotic destinations (for food, we later learn), bouncing ideas off his apparently bored and indifferent partner. It took me a few seconds to realize it just wasn't another version of the Oceanic ad.

I'm sure there are others that follow the same basic concept. I know it's hard to get creative, and stereotypes are the easiest way to set up a "story" in 30 seconds, but... is having anyone bored for most of an ad a good idea? It's almost as a bad as an ad that mentions a competing product or business more than its supposed subject.
                That commercial seemed like it ran for a long time. Even though it insulted the targeted demographic by featuring the nerdy local guy and the shallow,high maintenance hapa/local girl.
                Lisa Ling was criticized by the Asian American community for the Old Navy ads when she was flirting with guys in the commercial who were all non-Asian males. I read that it would be different in America if the roles were changed if an actress like Scarlett Johansson would be in a commercial flirting with different guys with none of them being a white man.
                Last edited by Walkoff Balk; July 14, 2008, 07:20 PM. Reason: add

Comment

[quote=Random;202186]*groans*

Please tell me you're not a comedy writer.

quote]
                  ====================
                  Hey, I got Lhasa more where that came from. Are you Apso-lutely sure you don't want to hair them?nyuk, nyuk. nyuk

Getting back on thread....I dislike the "Tsukiji Fish Market" spot. There is something annoying about that gals squeaky voice and the way the copy was written that I find irritating.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    That commercial seemed like it ran for a long time. Even though it insulted the targeted demographic by featuring the nerdy local guy and the shallow,high maintenance hapa/local girl.
                    Hey! The Road Runner dating commercial! Yeah, that was annoying, especially when the nerdy dude didn't get any reward for fixing her computer. I hope she get roofied.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                      Lisa Ling was criticized by the Asian American community for the Old Navy ads when she was flirting with guys in the commercial who were all non-Asian males. I read that it would be different in America if the roles were changed if an actress like Scarlett Johansson would be in a commercial flirting with different guys with none of them being a white man.
                      Unless it's the KKK, but they're hardly heard.

Comment

I don't like the Oceanic ad that has the lady from Maui & the arrogant guy from here talking about how they met and how she apparently moved here to be with him. Yet SHE says, she only moved to save $$$ on her internet bill. Makes the guy look really lame
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I don't care for the hearing aid commercial with the family who applauds at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                            What's that commercial with the guy that's all "No Can!! Can? No can!! Can!" Boy, that commercial is annoying!
                            He's actually a very nice guy. A decade ago, Garrick Paikai used to run the A-Plus afterschool program at an elementary school. He was trying to schedule classes at a local college, ended up taking acting as an elective, and found out that he really enjoyed it. He was hilarious with the kids.

He's also the fast-talking salesman in the mattress commercial-- is that Affordable Mattress Outlet?

I'd like to say that he's made a fortune from commercials, but I've also seen him working at one of the bigbox hardware stores-- Waikele Lowes or PC's Home Depot.
                            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                              [...]I'd like to say that he's made a fortune from commercials, but I've also seen him working at one of the bigbox hardware stores-- Waikele Lowes or PC's Home Depot.
                              It is next to impossible to make a fortune in local tv commercials. The session fee/cycle/reuse/exposure issues just won't allow it. Advertising budgets in Hawaii are very small. Even those who become an ongoing spokesperson still have the proverbial day job.

National commercials are another animal. Still no big fortunes to be made but the money is a lot better.

I doubt turtlegirl was dissing Garrick; rather, she was dissing the spot, itself.

Comment

Heehee, Yep it's the spot that's annoying. Especially cuz Sven thinks it's funny to bug me with it. Like, I was trying to make a difficult left turn last week and he was all "No can!!". I wanted to poke him with a sharp stick!

The guy in the commercial is kinda cute, and I'm happy to hear he has another commercial out there!
                                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                                X