What is your ethnicity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ethnicity that you identify with...

I'm pseudo-Japanese! My ethnic background is Japanese but I don't speak the language or eat the food (I really mean, seafood). I'm fully "Americanized", bugers and fries, steaks and the like. And I seem more goth white than pale asian. And I don't think I qualify to be local since although I have the pidgin (slightly, not super pronounced), I don't know my way around the island and I love the beach and sun as much as a hobbit is tall.

-added-
    Oh yeah, and I'm too lazy to say I'm half Japanese and half Okinawan. I mean come on, all you gotta do is look at the body hair and you know I've got some Okinawan blood in me.
    Last edited by DaFerret; June 4, 2004, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Firss would be "local to da max", but nomo dat kine ona census form. Guess foah me, den, mostly Pocho... but wit some Native American an all mix up da ress. Hahd foah ansah wen get so many kine. Should have one box foah check day says, "all hamajang kine koko"!
      Aloha,
      Mokihana

Comment

I am 100% Japanese originally from Japan. Born and raised in Japan and went to school up there. My husband is from here and is chop suey. So I enjoy Hawaiian tradition and ohana. I like both Japanese traditional food such as Natto (some of you guys may hate it because of its smell !), miso soup, tohu and Hawaiian food and other local style food here. We eat a lot of Korean food because my husband is Korean-mixed. It's nice meeting you guys !

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana
          Firss would be "local to da max", but nomo dat kine ona census form. Guess foah me, den, mostly Pocho... but wit some Native American an all mix up da ress. Hahd foah ansah wen get so many kine. Should have one box foah check day says, "all hamajang kine koko"!
          Brah. You stay in Oregon and you can still talk (er, write) the lingo, eh. Too good!
          I can imagine that you going make Boring not boring anymore as you going teach the locals your pidgin to da max!

Comment

I'm Indian, though I'm often mistaken for other ethnicities...Mexican, Hawaiian, Greek, Iranian to name a few...

Comment

Originally posted by kukui_nut
              Brah. You stay in Oregon and you can still talk (er, write) the lingo, eh. Too good!
              I can imagine that you going make Boring not boring anymore as you going teach the locals your pidgin to da max!
              Eh! I stay wahine!

Jass cuz I stay da mainland now, my firss language stick to me like glue. Talk um, rite um, same kine ting. Can take me from da `âina, but no can take da `âina from me. Jass axe Izzie dem.
              Aloha,
              Mokihana

Comment

On my mother's side I'm German-Polish and on my father's, Hawaiian-Caucasian. I consider myself German and Hawaiian, and will specify either that or part-Hawaiian on census forms.

Comment

I often get asked what race I am.

I often reply: "Human. How about you?"

The question gets rephrased:
                  "What ethnic are you?"

I reply: "I am very much committed
                  to good ethics. I feel strong about
                  karma and how good stuff always
                  comes back....honesty is always
                  a good thing...ask Enron's Kenneth Lay!"

By this time their eyes are glazed
                  over and once again made a question
                  of one's ethnicity as valid as asking
                  "How regular are you?"
                  or
                  "Does your butt ever get really itchy?"

I live in a predominately white neighborhood
                  and at the local market get questioning
                  looks: "Now Tiffanny, I wonder is he black,
                  is he white, is he mullatto, is he creole..what
                  the hell is he...let's ask.."

At which time...my answer is:
                  "Human. How about you?"

For the census takers or applications
                  that give you instructions to fill in
                  the little circle ...it's Pacific Islander
                  or "Other".

I am still waiting for
                  Kanaka Maole
                  as an option.

I won't hold my breath.
                  "I was going call 911 ...but I neva know da numbah"

Comment

Well, that's a very good question....
                    atleast I don't feel to bad...
                    since some of you are part filipino, also.
                    I am: swiss,filipino,spanish.
                    But....
                    I am still waiting for someone in my
                    family tree to tell me that....
                    somewhere along the lines of...
                    that I am part Chinese, to.
                    One of my aunties, she lives in tha mainland,
                    boy, she needs some major tan...lol.
                    Actually, she is very sensitive to the sun,
                    though she looks like she's part chinese herself.
                    When people listen to me speak....
                    They can't seem to pinpoint my nationality.
                    so, they ask me,instead.
                    My age on the other hand....
                    that's a different story.
                    When I am asked..
                    I just make people guess first, just for fun.
                    My hubby...
                    Now, I can't even begin to tell you about him...
                    He is "local", but with sooo much nationality,
                    & so many "ish & i-ses, etc"...LOL.
                    That' from the tip of his hair
                    & down to the end of his toe nail. LOL.
                    All I can say about that is...
                    No ask me, jus' ask him, k?.

Aloha & take Care.
                    Aches & Pains
                    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

hmmmm...def.hawaiian..my dad is actually 1/2 hawaiian &1/2 filipinno(never spell it right)he says chinese too.but doing genealogy on line all i find are the 1st two.my grandma luka's aunty married into chinese family..my mom tho is german & cherokee indian..but me?? 5'2 and a half.approx.180lbs..(fluffy)and the traditional hawaiian hair to my waist that's my pride & joy!!(after my son of course!!)my mom took us back to hawaii in 81(9th grade)..can u imagine??lookin exactly like everyone else in school,so when teacher had me stand up & introduce myself??course i said "aloha ya'll!" everyone died laughin..they said i talked juss like gomer pyle!!..but growin up here people called us the "N" word.can't stand it!!!thank goodness times have finally changed..my mom couldn't even marry my dad in the local court house('63)..they told her it wasn't right for her to marry a man who wasn't white..so they hopped on over to the next county..an eensy eensy town &were married there..my 1st response tho to "where r u from?" i always say"my mama!!"...........much peace guys...

Comment

When asked about my ethnicity, I say I am "Heinz 57" with a lot of things in me, which is true. We need to research our roots a bit more, for I don't know enough about them. I know my mom had a lot of Cherokee in her, as her mom had a lot, but mom's dad was Irish or something, then my mom married Scot/Irish, and so I am light like my dad. My mom's brothers looked even more cherokee than mom, and she was tanned year round. I know we have some "Black Dutch" in us, which I am told is a German type.

I don't think I identify enough with any one race, but when I look at my uncles, a couple which are dark enough to play Cherokee in a tv show, I want to know more about them, and were there various "sects" of them, so then which one am I kin to, etc.

I just know I am proud to know we were some of the original Texans, so I am told.
                        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

It's sad to say. But I haven't really been able to put my finger on which I identify with.

What's the original mix of a Hawaiian?

Comment

Originally posted by kamlost
                            It's sad to say. But I haven't really been able to put my finger on which I identify with.

Yeah I think most people who have multiple backgrounds go through different periods of which one to identify with.

Cuz I look Haole people expect that I'm american mainaland transplant or somesuch, dey get one shock i understand da pidgin and get pacific island ancestry also...mo akamai to look into da persons "ha" da life air...who they are,...not da kine externals eh?

So, Personally I try to focus more on being an Individual than identifying with a race and the racial identity stereotypes that go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by kamlost

kamlost, what did you mean here? Are you asking, what is the ethnic mix of the people who lived in Hawai'i before Captain Cook showed up? They were Polynesians, probably most recently from Tahiti or the Marquesas or both. If you're asking, where did the Polynesians came from, then most scholars think that several thousand years ago they originally came from Southeast Asia somewhere. (If you go by the Kumulipo, though, that's another story.)

If you're mixed, then no need "put your finger" on what one group you identify with. It's like asking whether you feel more like skin or blood or flesh or bones -- they're all in there, and you can't really separate them without a lot of pain. But do some have more importance in your life than others?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

kamlost, what did you mean here? Are you asking, what is the ethnic mix of the people who lived in Hawai'i before Captain Cook showed up? They were Polynesians, probably most recently from Tahiti or the Marquesas or both. If you're asking, where did the Polynesians came from, then most scholars think that several thousand years ago they originally came from Southeast Asia somewhere. (If you go by the Kumulipo, though, that's another story.)
                                Wow, that's too far back. Archeological findings supported by linguistic evidence shows that the islands were first inhabited by Polynesians from the Marquesas area, more specifically southern Marquesas. And then later, more than 300 years later another group of Polynesians from what is now known as the Tahitian islands arrived.

Oral genealogy however points to places known in the Tahitian islands, namely on Ra'iatea and Borabora.

Also, archeology has pinpointed as the Marquesas as the first dispersal point, Tahiti being the second. Prior to that our ancestors came from the west where Samoa/Tonga lies. Even linguists have mapped out a language tree which supports this.

But prior to that, more than 7,000 years ago they came from South East Asia.
                                He mamo a Hina

Mai poina i na kupuna kahiko, na lakou e hoonaauao ia kakou.

Comment

Working...
                                X