What is your "COMFORT" food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your "COMFORT" food?

I forgot to add a sub sandwich, pastrami is the first choice, followed by turkey.

Comment

Breakfast foods (I love making homemade hash browns)
      Chocolate-covered almonds
      Hershey's milk chocolate bars (also milk choc. with almonds)
      Zippy's chili with rice (and cheese and onions)
      Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
        Breakfast foods (I love making homemade hash browns)
        Chocolate-covered almonds
        Hershey's milk chocolate bars (also milk choc. with almonds)
        Zippy's chili with rice (and cheese and onions)
        Not being from O'ahu... What the deal on Zippy's Chili? I mean everyone seems to rave about it. I tasted it and didn't care for it.

Oh , But Hershey bars make me feel good too!
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

I guess it's an Oahu thing, sort of like Loco Moco to Hilo (or the Big Island) or saimin to Kauai.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
            I guess it's an Oahu thing, sort of like Loco Moco to Hilo (or the Big Island) or saimin to Kauai.
            Or Komoda cream puffs or Tasaka guri guri on Maui!

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
              Not being from O'ahu... What the deal on Zippy's Chili? I mean everyone seems to rave about it. I tasted it and didn't care for it.
              Yes, must be an Oahu thing. What I have noticed, though, is that I like some Zippy's chili better than others. I once bought zipmeal chili (buy in a bigger container to take home) from Kailua and found it to be more spicy than others. I don't know what the deal was with that.
              Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Saimin with a raw egg mixed in and Spam.
                Baked mac 'n' cheese with crumbled saltines on top, like my mom makes.
                Baked cheese enchiladas.
                Samosa chaat.
                M&M McFlurrys.

Comment

homemade braised beef brisket with tendon simmered 6 hours in master sauce cantonese style with cold white rice!!

homemade tinfoil laulau weighing in at 2lbs and a foot long with cold white rice plus da tabasco and shoyu!!
                  Reggie aka pinakboy
                  Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                  Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                  Recipe Tube TV!
                  Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani
                    The local style means it's baked with cheese on top. Everything is mixed, the noodles,sauce, ground beef, put it in a pan and bake da buggah...like how they used to serve at school. I think that's what she talking about.
                    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............
                    My Kane`ohe sweetie makes the stove-top variation (just without the baking step) with elbow macaroni, sauce, ground beef, shredded cheddar --- and she calls it her "Mom's mac & cheese," so I won't confuse it with the yellow stuff. Funny, but I grew up calling that "goulash" (which I know is something different altogether.)

Comment

Originally posted by pinakboy
                      homemade tinfoil laulau weighing in at 2lbs and a foot long with cold white rice plus da tabasco and shoyu!!
                      Better than poi, better than pig. Pinakboy's laulau, frickin big.

Comment

I can’t get enough of spam musubi with kim chee. I have a special way of making my musubi and its gotta be homemade kim chee.

Can’t eat this too often or else
                        See Reny's Gallery For Great Stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Reny
                          its gotta be homemade kim chee.
                          My kumu hula has recently gotten into making her own kim chee - extra-extra spicy! It's fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                            My kumu hula has recently gotten into making her own kim chee - extra-extra spicy! It's fantastic.
                            I was in that Korean market in the Kapālama Shopping Center on Dillingham, and they were selling 5-pound plastic bags full of red chili powder, the kind that goes into kim chee. Wow! I'd never seen bags like that before.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                              I don't know. I'm born and raised in Oahu but I don't think their chili is good. its alright but there are so many other chili that is better.

Same goes with S&S saimen. So many other better choices out there even if you are limited to Honolulu or home cooking.

Hope no one is offended though. Its not meant to speak badly of your fondness of a specific food.

Maybe its more of a sentimental thing like Kikaida? Great memories but you realize what it lacks in retrospect.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
                                Maybe its more of a sentimental thing like Kikaida? Great memories but you realize what it lacks in retrospect.
                                Yeah - in retrospect, Kikaida made crappy chili...

Comment

Working...
                                X