About Fiji

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: About Fiji

Keep it up! I am interested in Fiji...for culture and surfing.

I met a coworker from there (of Indian descent). I wanted to hear her stories of the place but she left for somewhere else before I had a chance to.
    Sing with me, everyone!
    "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
    like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
    http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

HMFS Kiro. (Her Majesty's Fijian Ship Kiro) 1975.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMFS_Kiro
      http://www.usswarbler.org/
      http://www.usswarbler.org/Theride.htm
      http://www.usswarbler.org/HMFS%20KIRO.htm

Was stationed on the West Coast and an urgent call went out for any Pacific Islanders in the US Navy who might be able to successfully communicate with Fijians. I laughed out loud. Hell yah!

Volunteered for service and was shipped to Seattle to train the first Fijian Navy. The US sold Fiji 2 surplus WWII minesweepers and promised to train the Fijians in how to sail them.

I taught them how to use their sonar equipment. And it was fun messing with the 50mm front-mounted deck gun!

The Fijian crew was a wonderful mix of Native Fijians and Native Indians. All spoke with a wonderful British accent! I had fun singing Fijian songs with them at lunch break.

Did you know the Fijian Navy issued BEER as a part of every sailor's expected daily ration? The Fijian sailors were always cheerful.

One of the sailors, Seaman Lal, gave me his hat band when I had to leave. I still have it. And I still remember Seaman Lal fondly. I hope he has done well and is retired with grandchildren now!
      Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

That's cool Monkey Man!
        A very close friend of mine is Aisea Ratokolau, nickname - Wais. He was one of the original Fijian Navy Seamen.

I was down there during the last coup and when I returned home to Hawaii, everyone asked "Was it scary?!". I replied "They're big men, with big guns, but they're still smiling at'cha, so no problem."

Good, good people! Talk about living Aloha, they got it!
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Here's an interesting tidbit of info about "Fiji".

The main island is Viti Levu (Big Viti) and an indigenous Fijian is "Kai Viti".

It was the missionaries that were in Tonga first and asked the Tongans...
          "What's over there?", and were told "Fiji" as it was known to them.

So the Kai Viti became Fijians.

Comment

Great bump though I am bummed that the first posts map link is no longer.

great read though, I can not wait to go!
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

I love Fijian islands. Been there thrice. All over. Vanua Levu, Viti Levu, Kadavu, Taveuni, the Yasawas, and the remote islands of Cicia and Vanua Balavu in the northern lau islands.

friendly people. Love saying Bula, Vinaka, ni sa bula. Love seeing people waving at each and every passing car or person on the road. You just wave. Doesn't matter who or if you know them or not.

Another thing I do like about Fiji is the "other culture", ie. the Indian culture. I've always had a thing for India, and it's quite fascinating to see the Hindi writing all over, the curries, indian restaurants, sari's on the women, spice shops. It's fascinating to me to see that in the middle of the Pacific ocean.
              n'importe

Comment

Here's a link to another map and some info.
                My wife's village is just north of Nausori town on Viti Levu.
                We travelled around the Lau Group as far as Moala(south) to Vanua Balavu(north) and even stayed 3 weeks on Lakeba. Had my 30th B-Day aboard the Katika (130' cargo ship) during that trip. What a Blast!
                http://go.hrw.com/atlas/norm_htm/fiji.htm

Comment

This was reported today...

"Extraordinary Find unearthed in Fiji"

In the earliest human settlement in Fiji, excavators found jewelry made from shells and high-quality pottery made 3,000 years ago during the Stone Age. The jewelry was found under an upturned clay pot...

Here's a link...
                  http://news.aol.com/story/_a/3000-ye...23092409990001

Wow, just so cool to find some items that old and on the main island even!

Comment

Stone Age? 3,000 years ago? Does not compute...
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Fiji is a very populiar destination for australians (its very close to us)

Is it similiar to Hawaii?

Comment

not really in my experiences... although both island chains. Hawaii is part of the 'polynesian triangle' whereas The Fijian islands are Melanesian. There is also pretty much half the population who are Indian. The British brought over workers from India in the late 1800's, so you'll see a mixture of traditional Fijian practices mixed with Indian food and culture. Fascinating place.
                        Last edited by Kaukura; May 2, 2008, 11:24 PM.
                        n'importe

Comment

Mrs. Menehune and I are heading to Viti Levu on vacation July 31st!
                          Will spend two weeks there bouncing around. Some time in her village of Naimasimasi, Suva, Nadi and a short trip to the island of Ovalau where the town of Levuka(original capital) is. I'm so excited! I just can't hide it!

There are a few Geocaches around, will try to find some and possibly even hide one too!

Comment

Congrats! That sounds like an awesome trip.
                            Just remember... photos. We want PHOTOS!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

This is kind of a loosely associated piece of information, but . . . Col. Bruce Hampton of Aquarium Rescue Unit fame had a band in the late 90's called the Fiji Mariners and they put out at least one album, titled "Fiji Mariners". I doubt if any of the band are from Fiji, but one of the songs is about Fiji, extolling it virtues and encouraging you to make a trip there. He apparently thinks it's a pretty magical place. It's a great album with some psychedelic boogie, a great cover of "Turn on Your Love Light", and a minimum of the more idiosyncratic items Hampton typically leans toward. It's virtually unknown and it's excellent. Used copies can be had at Amazon for about $3.50.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Mariners-.../dp/B00005LMML

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                                Mrs. Menehune and I are heading to Viti Levu on vacation July 31st!
                                Bula! Be sure and take some wrapped kava to the village chief.

A former colleague of mine ran the US mission in Fiji in the early '90's.
                                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                                X