About Fiji

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: About Fiji

Mrs. Menehune and I are heading to Viti Levu on vacation July 31st!
    You are so lucky! We were supposed to be having a family reunion in Fiji (our island of Gau) around Xmas time but plans seem to have been sidetracked as family members are busy dealing with this recession.

Hopefully, we will be able to plan it when the economy picks up. Eat lots of roti for me!

On a side note, what a great weekend for Fiji rugby! The Warriors became the first Fijian team to win the Pacific Rugby Cup, defeating Upolu Samoa 19-7 at Apia Park in Samoa. The Fiji Sevens Rugby Team won the Edinburgh Sevens in Scotland - defeating South Africa 20-19 in a thrilling final. South Africa won the World Series but Fiji finished second overall - a great result for a team plagued with controversy this season. I thought the Sevens team were goners after they fired their coach, Waisale Serevi (also from Gau!) but they bounced back and did themselves and Fiji proud. My cousin is representing Fiji this month at the Junior World Rugby Championships in Japan. We are all hoping Fiji's success on the rugby field will continue. GO FIJI!
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
      Stone Age? 3,000 years ago? Does not compute...
      Here, some more info about the finds. Very interesting!

Have a good trip, MM!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        1) Congrats! That sounds like an awesome trip. Just remember... photos. We want PHOTOS!
        Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
        2) "Fiji Mariners".
        Originally posted by matapule View Post
        3) Bula! Be sure and take some wrapped kava to the village chief.
        Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
        4) You are so lucky! Eat lots of roti for me!
        Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
        5) Have a good trip, MM!
        1) Thanks and I'm looking forward to having an adventure! Of course...
        PHOTOS!!!
        2) I listened to a few YouTubes... I like their music!
        3) Yeah, I've got the protocol down. My funny nickname in Fiji is "Ratu Veli Levu" Because I do things differently or at opposite times. It means King of the Menehune.
        I had this name before "Menehune Man". HaHa! It's gonna be sooo great to see everyone again. Been about 8 years since I've been back.
        I've had some other wonderful trips and make sure Sulu makes it home every couple of years though.
        4) I know! And of course!
        5) Thanks! Interesting find and cool bust of the 3,000 year old woman. They gave her Polynesian hair ( long and wavy) though Fijians have Afro style Melanesian hair?
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Here's a photo of Ovalau Island from the sea!

Comment

MM, thank you for all you have written about Fiji. You should be on the Tourism board, with your enthusiasm and knowledge. I read everything you wrote avidly, and then looked up photos and more facts.

It is indeed another paradise in the South Seas. You are very lucky to have been able to go there, and it sounds like you and Mrs. MM are planning a move some day?

Would you consider posting some more of your trips' photos on this thread? I am very interested in Fiji. It looks wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to teach us about Fiji, and relating your personal experiences.

SB

Comment

We had an incredible time visiting friends, family and of course enjoying all that Fiji offers! I figured the best way to share photos was to blog it. http://fijiaugust09.blogspot.com/ These are by no means all the photos, but a good representation. And not in chronological order due to us staying in Kinoya near Suva twice (starting and ending the trip), also stayed in Naimasimasi Village twice too, with a long weekend in Levuka on Ovalau Island. I had extra adventures to Nataleira Village Ciuciurati Waterfalls and Pacific Harbor another day. Check it out when you have the time. Ask questions if you wish.

Comment

MM, everything looks very familar, but some things look too modern for matapule. Loved the pictures of the flying foxes, brings back memories. The kids in the village and I would get a long (20 feet or so) bamboo pole. sharpened on one end and try to spear them out of the air. If we got lucky, we would cook them in umu and eat them.

I'd like to get together sometime and talk story.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Thank you MM! Fiji is beautiful, and the people look even more beautiful!

Good to see your lovely wife and family--thanks for sharing the blog!

Comment

Vinaka! Great pictures - makes me miss Fiji so much. Unfortunately, I don't know when I will get back there again but I hope it will be some day soon.
                    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                      1)MM, everything looks very familar, but some things look too modern for matapule. Loved the pictures of the flying foxes, brings back memories. The kids in the village and I would get a long (20 feet or so) bamboo pole. sharpened on one end and try to spear them out of the air. If we got lucky, we would cook them in umu and eat them.

1a)I'd like to get together sometime and talk story.
                      Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                      2)Thank you MM! Fiji is beautiful, and the people look even more beautiful!

2a)Good to see your lovely wife and family--thanks for sharing the blog!
                      Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                      3)Vinaka! Great pictures - makes me miss Fiji so much. Unfortunately, I don't know when I will get back there again but I hope it will be some day soon.
                      1) I know! Malls and coffee shops! Whoa...
                      And I love seeing all the bats.
                      1a) Truly, we should.

2) Their true beauty lies within even more so. Male and female.
                      2a) Ain't I lucky?!

3) I love Fiji. Make it happen... kiwidiva!

Comment

Something different between Hawaii and Fiji is the way island handiwork is coming from.
                        In Fiji, the present older generation is sad to say dieing out with little interest of what they do by the younger generations. Everything from knowledge of medicinal plants, massage, and on... Hawaii now and has had a real resurgence in all things Hawaiian. Keep it up! I hope it'll come for Fiji. Probably after they realize how much has been lost though, eh?

This first shot is of Bubu Ru. A most wonderful woman. She dressed me in tapa cloth and a coconut oil rub for my wedding long ago. She cares well (widowed for a while now) for her children (older now) and many others that come to her door. Here she makes a classic Fijian basket. It's to use, not to place on a shelf as we would.

This is Bubu Mereoni and she's 80 years old. Amazing woman! Her garden is truly over the next hill and she goes there most days. Real sweet and her mat making is matched by none.

I made the photos appear large to show them and their work well.

Comment

Thank you for sharing fella, I don't know Fiji but it is certainly a place I'd like to visit (Oops ! does it have cockroches like Hawai'i ?)

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                            1)and it sounds like you and Mrs. MM are planning a move some day?
                            1a)Thank you for taking the time to teach us about Fiji, and relating your personal experiences.
                            1)We've been lucky enough to help out a few households, painting roofs, building in rooms, and the like to stay there permanently.
                            But we also have a quiet lovely spot reserved for use to build a two bedroom wooden house sometime. I sooo hope so.
                            The second bedroom would be for 'stay overs' of coarse!
                            1a)Fiji is truly an incredible place full of wonderful people. Go!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                              We had an incredible time visiting friends, family and of course enjoying all that Fiji offers! I figured the best way to share photos was to blog it. http://fijiaugust09.blogspot.com/.

WOW!!! Thank you for allowing me to travel to Fiji via your blog and photos. Please post more to the blog when you get a chance, and if you could help me understand what I'm seeing, with some more captions, I'd love that. Such a true paradise there; it has most of the things about Hawai'i that I love, and also has more South Seas character. I can see why you are so excited about Fiji!

I especially loved the photos showing the art of the craftswomen... Island arts and handiwork is always a treat to view.

Thanks, MM, and I look forward to seeing lots more of Fiji.
                              barb

Comment

Snowbird shared this with me and I am passing it on...

http://www.fijiwebcam.com/

Time difference between Fiji and Hawaii. Fiji is 22 hours ahead, so easiest way to figure it is to minus 2 hours but add a day.

I loved the Mamanuca Cam the best!

Comment

Working...
                                X