‘Ōlelo Hawai‘i ma HawaiiThreads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Ōlelo Hawai‘i ma HawaiiThreads?

One of the neat things the software that runs this site allows for is relatively straightforward implementation of other languages. No, it won't translate your posts into other languages for you, but you can modify the interface to use other languages.

It might be neat to translate the site to have a Hawaiian Language version -- say, Pane for Reply, ‘Imi instead of Search, or Lele for Log Out. Of course, I'm not fluent enough in both Hawaiian and the newer Hawaiian technology terms to do this on my own.

Anyone thing this might be a fun idea? Anyone comfortable with Hawaiian and available for a geeky project?

Re: ‘?lelo Hawai‘i ma HawaiiThreads?

Mamaka Kaiao contains many Hawaiian tech terms:

Pane = reply

Huli = search

Ha'alele = log out

'E'e = log on

Ki'iona = icon

Namua (kahako above the first 'a') = preview
    Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; September 26, 2005, 01:18 PM.

pax

Comment

And, to answer your original question, I am all for it.

pax

Comment

I would prefer that all of the interface buttons and everything we have now "stay as is"... with standard English. After all while Hawaiian may be an official language of the State, so is English. I would however support a user implemented OPTION to change the interface to Hawaiian if individual users choose to do so. I think the key here is choice of language... if we want to keep it as English it should be, but for those who want Hawaiian, offer a point and click option to take them to an alternate interface.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: ‘Ōlelo Hawai‘i ma HawaiiThreads?

Oh, "Hawaiian Language" would definitely be an option, not a universal interface change. (I could also add German, Spanish, and other languages, I guess!) What little Hawaiian I already do use here is cause for some confusion for newcompers. But I think the fans of ‘Ōlelo Hawai‘i would get a kick out of being able to see the site in Hawaiian.

If only typing Hawaiian characters were easier, I'd even set aside a subforum for Hawaiian language posts!

Comment

Originally posted by admin
            "Hawaiian Language" would definitely be an option, not a universal interface change.
            This I can live with. I would check the Hawaiian option now and then but it is comforting to know that I can fall back to default English as it always is now.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: ‘Ōlelo Hawai‘i ma HawaiiThreads?

Originally posted by admin
              Oh, "Hawaiian Language" would definitely be an option, not a universal interface change. (I could also add German, Spanish, and other languages, I guess!) What little Hawaiian I already do use here is cause for some confusion for newcompers. But I think the fans of ‘Ōlelo Hawai‘i would get a kick out of being able to see the site in Hawaiian.

If only typing Hawaiian characters were easier, I'd even set aside a subforum for Hawaiian language posts!
              See my earlier question about making it easier to add Hawaiian diacriticals to our HT posts...

Comment

Working...
              X