Mass Transit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mass Transit...

I currently live in Waipahu, near a freeway on ramp, so I have no trouble getting to the freeway and going my merry way. But with all the congestion and (yes, gotta say it) idiot drivers, it's a trying journey. If we had mass transit that was [mostly] on time and relatively hassle-free, I would definitely do that to/from work. Back in high school and most of college, I walked to the bus stop. I've done 15-30 minute walks to the bus stop and even 1+ hour(s) from my origin to destination. I have no problem with walking, but frankly, if I don't have to deal with it, I won't.

I want the least amount of hassle, which means I hate the vulture thing at parking lots. I'd rather park farther away where I can have empty stalls on either side of my car, than circling or squatting up front and causing a mess.

So yes, light rail with park and ride stations would be kind of cool. And it would give me a great reason to get into MP3s and buy myself an MP3 player.

Comment

Originally posted by skchai
      IMHO, one of the main difference here is both economic and culture. In Brazil, the average standard of living is lower, the generally lower cost of BRT compared to rail makes a real difference in demand. Secondly, there is no cultural stigma attached to riding the bus as there is in much of the U.S. I do think that there are people here who would ride a light rail but refused to ride a bus, even if there was no difference in speed or convenience.
      I agree wholeheartedly. The problem is that in Hawaii, we think like mainlanders. We think having a car is requsite to being a full fledged human, and that if you don't have one, you're of a lesser caste. There needs to be a major sea change in the way we all see cars; not as a right, but as an indulgence.
      One way is for the government to encourage virtue. The way I see it, if you don't drive, you're giving of yourself to make life better for everyone else (now, and in the future), so the C&C or the state should make doing the right thing more appealing. I.e., tax credits, less inhumane options for masstransit, and a safer network of bike routes and trails to bring cyclists out of the margins and into the mainstream.
      But then again, how's that going to happen when big business owns the state house and our governor's family got rich off selling cars?

Comment

There was a time in Japan (still may be enforced) where you could only own a car if you had a private place to park one, and that cars over 10-years old were penalized to the point where it would be uneconomical to own one.

Basically Japan made it very difficult to own a car. I think we need toll booths at the major arteries then at the same time lower the state taxes on a gallon of gas to compensate for the toll costs.

I hated taking the bus because there's typically no seats left for the morning commute. This may sound ironic but to get people to ride the bus, you have to get more buses on the road. The two-fold result is that everyone is guaranteed a comfortable ride to work and there would be so many buses on the road, I'd probably want to catch the bus instead of having to deal with them with my car.

They need buses arriving every 5-minutes so if you miss the bus, you won't be 15-20 minutes late for work if you have to catch the next.

Here's an idea that may work for East Bound commuters. Buy a cheap decent car, leave it in town to drive to appointments or emergencies and take the bus in and out each day. Yes that may sound a bit much, but think about how much you'll save on gas. Catch the bus to your friend's home where your car is parked. Take your car and use it while in town. Park it back at the home and take the bus back to Kapolei. That could work if a rail system were in place as well.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          They need buses arriving every 5-minutes so if you miss the bus, you won't be 15-20 minutes late for work if you have to catch the next.
          If you happen to live and work in the area bounded by Alaa Park on the west side, Ala Moana Blvd. on the south side, Kalakuka Ave. on the east side and South King Street on the north side then the various routes that come and go through that section of town does provide that 5 to 10 minute window between buses at a stop.

Thing is every since the Express buses came into service it's been kind of rare for me to be standing in a bus.

Comment

Helen, it's because I'm a male and you're not. That's the unwritten rule of bus etiquette, able-bodied middle aged men must give up their seat to everybody else. Violating this will result in many a stink eye.

One female newpaper reporter did a story on taking the bus to work. She said it was a pleasant experience where she was able to read the paper or a book or set her schedule for the day. Yeah sure if you're sitting down. Try doing that standing shoulder to shoulder to someone next to you who doesn't believe in deoderant or loves to splash on Chanel No 5 by the bucket.

Then the AC's either on full blast or not on at all. You sweat then freeze then you get off the bus, tell your boss your sick and puking your guts out from the nausea and take the bus back home doubling the experience.

If you're sitting, you're not rocking hence you're not getting sick.

Helen I'm glad your experiences on TheBus is a good one, for me, I paid for my car, I'm using it, I have a great time driving my BMW to work in it's climate controlled environment and a cup holder right next to me (do they have those on the bus?)

Comment

One female newpaper reporter did a story on taking the bus to work. She said it was a pleasant experience where she was able to read the paper or a book or set her schedule for the day. Yeah sure if you're sitting down. Try doing that standing shoulder to shoulder to someone next to you who doesn't believe in deoderant or loves to splash on Chanel No 5 by the bucket.

Then the AC's either on full blast or not on at all. You sweat then freeze then you get off the bus, tell your boss your sick and puking your guts out from the nausea and take the bus back home doubling the experience.
              Oh yeah (the latter part). Especially if your sitting near where the air comes out, your arm might be freezing, then warm, off and on. I gotten used to it, but that is irratating, when the AC goes off, you'd have to turn down your music because its quiet, but when it goes back on a few seconds later, you're scrambling to turn up your music to listen to it.

And what about the people who lifts their arm to reach the bars on the top. Especially if your short, and your nose is right in their armpit if you turn towards them. That alone is reason to wake up an hour early to catch an almost empty bus.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Helen, it's because I'm a male and you're not. That's the unwritten rule of bus etiquette, able-bodied middle aged men must give up their seat to everybody else. Violating this will result in many a stink eye.
                No one is giving up a seat for me to sit on because there are free seats on the bus. Ever since the Express buses became available one can find seat on the bus. Most times you sit alone.

Yeah there are times when it gets crowded you have to stand up but it's been kind of rare.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                  No one is giving up a seat for me to sit on because there are free seats on the bus. Ever since the Express buses became available one can find seat on the bus. Most times you sit alone.

Yeah there are times when it gets crowded you have to stand up but it's been kind of rare.
                  On the A?

Try going rush hour time (6-8am) and by the time you get to Kalihi, there isn't any seats left.

And Waipahu High School kids are so darn lazy. I live near 7-11/Jack-in-the-box along Farrington Hwy, and when the buses came along that side, there were some high schoolers waiting for 30 minutes just to take a 5 minute bus ride!!!

Oh yeah, I found a linkto show an example of the Japanese subway pushers one poster started. Man, those people do fit in there like sardines.

Comment

I used to catch the bus on 18th Avenue and was able to take a seat. However by the time that bus reaches the McCully area, you are giving up your seat and my stop was across the Kodak Building to get to work. Back then I learned that there are your "regular's" and if you sit in "their" seat they get pretty huffy about it.

The first time I sat in this guy's personal seat on the bus, I heard a hushed, "Oh shit he's gonna get it" from several passengers. Next thing I know this guy gets on and see's me in his seat and starts screaming at me. I
                    ignore him and he sits behind me berating me for stealing his seat. I was about ready to pound this guy as I turned around wondering what his problem was when he suddenly wimped out and turned the other way. Nope riding the bus was not a pleasant experience for me since I had to see this guy every morning I rode that freezer to work.

And Helen, not everybody has the luxury of an Express bus where as you say it is a more comfortable experience.

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                      On the A?
                      Yes on the A and yeah I know you take the route in the opposite direction from me so this is a case of your mileage may vary kind of thing.

Comment

I used to catch the bus on 18th Avenue and was able to take a seat. However by the time that bus reaches the McCully area, you are giving up your seat and my stop was across the Kodak Building to get to work. Back then I learned that there are your "regular's" and if you sit in "their" seat they get pretty huffy about it.

The first time I sat in this guy's personal seat on the bus, I heard a hushed, "Oh shit he's gonna get it" from several passengers. Next thing I know this guy gets on and see's me in his seat and starts screaming at me. I
                        ignore him and he sits behind me berating me for stealing his seat. I was about ready to pound this guy as I turned around wondering what his problem was when he suddenly wimped out and turned the other way. Nope riding the bus was not a pleasant experience for me since I had to see this guy every morning I rode that freezer to work.

And Helen, not everybody has the luxury of an Express bus where as you say it is a more comfortable experience.
                        Damn, and I thought people had the aloha spirit of sharing here.

Luckily, I never had that experience while riding on the bus. But lately, I have been sitting in the same seat every morning/afternoon. I see a few regulars, and we smile at each other, but never seen anyone gripe about another bus rider getting our regular seat. Its a bus, not a car.

Comment

This happened some years ago on TheBus but an elderly lady got on, noticed that a seat was occupied and informed the person to vacate the seat so that she can sit down. The person said no since he was an elderly person and was entitled to the seat too.

The lady got kind of vocal, another person vacate his seat on the other side of the aisle and offerred the seat to her. She refused (it wasn't that far away from the first seat) and more vocal enough for the bus driver to stop the bus and contact the transit supervisor.

The rest of us left the bus for the next one to pick us up.

Comment

Working...
                          X