Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game!
    Here are the answers for Day 4!

Question 1
    Category: She Broke Up With the Low-Singer, Because She Couldn't Get to Third Bass
    What are three of the four musical acts who performed at both Woodstock (the original) and Live Aid?
    The four who performed at both monumental concert events were Joan Baez (truly amazing at Live Aid), Santana, The Who, and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. Yes, Neil Young did play at Woodstock, but he refused to be photographed for the concert documentary, and at Live Aid he joined CSN sometime after the CSN set to do "Find the Cost of Freedom," the first time I ever heard that song. It blew me away! I was instantly a fan.

Peace and love (but no brown ecstasy) to kimo55, zztype, tiptoetulip, glen miyashiro, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, and mel for getting that one right!

Question 2
    Category: She Would Never Marry a Carpenter; She Says They're Too Level-Headed.
    Whose model of the cognitive realm includes levels named Knowledge, Application, Synthesis, and Evaluation?
    That would be Benjamin Bloom, the creator of Bloom's Taxonomy. I do a great presentation on Bloom's Taxonomy, if you ever need a guest speaker.

Bee-pluses go to kimo55, zztype, tiptoetulip (who BETTER have gotten this! ), glen miyashiro, shave ice, and surfingfarmboy!

Question 3
    Category: They Call 'em Films for the Greasy Residue Many of them Leave on Your Soul
    Oh, this is too easy: When some fellow English majors and I saw Disney's Beauty and the Beast in theaters, why did we get really, really excited when we heard a particular lyric in Gaston's "The Mob Song?"
    When Gaston sings, "Screw your courage to the sticking place," he is quoting Lady Macbeth, from Shakespeare's play, Macbeth. Macbeth says, "If we should fail?" and Lady Macbeth says, "We fail! But screw your courage to the sticking-place, And we'll not fail."

Oh, I get chicken skin just remembering that moment! I mean that moment seeing Beauty and the Beast.

Blood and roses to tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, and glen miyashiro for remembering their lines and hitting their mark!

Best wrong answer, from helen: "Why English majors make good lovers."

That was going to be tonight's question, but now I have to find something else!

Okay, here are the current standings!
    12: glen miyashiro, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
    10: shave ice
    9: pzarquon, zztype
    6: lavagal
    4: mel
    3: helen
    2: kimo55

New questions, next post!
    Last edited by scrivener; October 4, 2005, 09:49 PM. Reason: "Mother earth will comfort you; lay your body down . . ."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 5!

Question 1
      Category: All I've Got is Your Photograph

Who's this?

Question 2
      Category: The Day Breakfast Bit Back
      In January of 1919, what food item flowed through the streets of Boston, drowning at least twenty people and injuring over a hundred more?

Question 3
      Category: Everybody Was Tofu Fighting
      What local organization's name is the acronym MISO?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 5!

Good luck, and have fun!
      And hey! You! Don't just sit there, vicariously enjoying the thrill of trivia! Get your booty down here and play with us!
      Last edited by scrivener; October 4, 2005, 09:36 PM. Reason: "Don't wanna wait my whole life time . . . for you . . ."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 5!

Holy Shmoley! I posted this at 9:29 and Glen Miyashiro had the answers in my box at 9:33! That's it. I'm busting out the big guns tonight!

Question 1
        Category: All I've Got is Your Photograph

Who's this?
        Paulina Porizkova, the face of Estee Lauder for several years, the Sports Illustrated cover model for three years in a row, and the primary decoration of my twelfth-grade locker. I'm not really a fan of the super-model type, but Paulina has one of the greatest faces ever. I mean ever. She's still married to Ric Okasek, by the way.

Skin products to surfingfarmboy, shaveice, tiptoetulip, lavagal, and glen miyashiro! "Who's gonna drive you home . . . tonight?"

Question 2
        Category: The Day Breakfast Bit Back
        In January of 1919, what food item flowed through the streets of Boston, drowning at least twenty people and injuring over a hundred more?
        This story is too good not to know, so if you don't, head on over to Wikipedia and learn about the Great Molasses Flood of 1919!

Mo' Lasses (What? How can I have mo' lasses when I ain't had no lasses yet?) go to mel, surfingfarmboy, shave ice, tiptoetulip, zztype, lavagal, kimo55, and glen miyashiro for sticking that one out!

Question 3
        Category: Everybody Was Tofu Fighting
        What local organization's name is the acronym MISO?
        Isn't that a great acronym? Yes, as everyone knew, it is the Men's Island Soccer Organization. Extra laps around the field for mel, surfingfarmboy, shave ice, tiptoetulip, zztype, helen, lavagal, and glen miyhashiro for getting their heads on that one!

Here are the current standings!
        15: glen miyashiro, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
        13: shave ice
        11: zztype
        9: pzarquon, lavagal
        6: mel
        4: helen
        3: kimo55

Get off that couch and get on the trivia train! New questions, next post!
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 6!

Question 1
          Category: Reunited and it Feels so Good
          In Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, a metaphor turns into an argument. Why do the principal characters care about who "gets to be the Mary?"

Question 2
          Category: Do You Hear the People Sing, Singing the Song of Angry Men?
          In 1990, during the height of the "color wars" between rival gangs on the US west coast, California rappers got together and recorded a plea for peace. What was this project (either the collective or the song) called?

Question 3
          Category: Does That Come With a Pineapple?
          When brothers Andy and Ray Bumatai had their own very short-lived sketch comedy show on cable television, what did they call it?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 6!

Good luck, and have fun!
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Holy cow, how'd I miss two days of this? Sheesh. I don't think ZZ's ever going to give up the lead!

Comment

Eh, not April Fools yet. Not time for that joke yet!
              Originally posted by pzarquon
              Holy cow, how'd I miss two days of this? Sheesh. I don't think ZZ's ever going to give up the lead!
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Most users ever online was 298, December 13th, 2004 at 05:09 PM.
                zztype, 1stwahine, arturo_h, Fondoo2, helen, hinokei, Howard Dicus, Kalihiboy, ladat, Pomai, scrivener, shaveice, tiptoetulip, tutusue

Whole buncha Threaders mill around awaiting the evening pronouncement from the Grand Vizeer.

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 6!

Question 1
                  Category: Reunited and it Feels so Good
                  In Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, a metaphor turns into an argument. Why do the principal characters care about who "gets to be the Mary?"
                  When the characters played by Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino argue about "who gets to be the Mary," they're arguing because neither wants to be the Rhoda, as in Rhoda Morgenstern, Mary Tyler Moore's best friend on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Mostly, it's because Mary's cuter, but I am happy to accept any answer having to do with this television show.

So tam o'shanters off (you knew that was coming, didn't ya?) to glen miyashiro, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, lavagal, pzarquon, zztype, and tiptoetulip for getting it right!

Question 2
                  Category: Do You Hear the People Sing, Singing the Song of Angry Men?
                  In 1990, during the height of the "color wars" between rival gangs on the US west coast, California rappers got together and recorded a plea for peace. What was this project (either the collective or the song) called?
                  One of the things that struck me when the very catchy "We're All in the Same Gang" by the West Coast Rap All-Stars was on the air was how much cooler than everyone else Ice-T was. On a record full of coolness, Ice-T was the coolest. I think that says something.

It was a good song. I don't know if it did any good.

Mad props go to shave ice, mel, surfingfarmboy, lavagal, zztype, and tiptoetulip for throwing down!

Question 3
                  Category: Does That Come With a Pineapple?
                  When brothers Andy and Ray Bumatai had their own very short-lived sketch comedy show on cable television, what did they call it?
                  Woo, I'm going to take heat for this one. But hey: If we all got threes every day, nobody would lose, and it's all about identifying the losers, right?

I'm kidding.

So, here's the deal. Mental Tilapia is just wrong. That was an improv game-show and Andy wasn't on it. I was going for Bumavision, a hilarious title and a very, very funny show.

Congratulations to shave ice, helen, mel, lavagal, and pzarquon for knowing that one.

I don't find it odd that Ray's death and my posting this question coincided. For some reason, I was thinking about Ray last night, and how talented and warm he was, and I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything about his condition recently; I knew he'd been having some problems. When I wrote that question, it was because Ray was heavy on my mind, and sometimes that just happens. Don't ask me why, but there it is.

Of all the millions of things I saw him in, I'm going to remember him best as the Chicken Ranger. That series of commercials was so ridiculous and so goofy, and he played it exactly, exactly right. He just nailed that role, and I could not help but love those commercials, knowing that if it had been anyone else, I'd have hated them.

Bye, Ray. I don't say this very often when famous people die, but I will miss you.

So, here are the current standings:
                  17: tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
                  16: glen miyashiro, shave ice
                  13: zztype
                  12: lavagal
                  11: pzarquon
                  8: mel
                  5: helen
                  3: kimo55

New questions, next post!
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 7!

Question 1
                    Category: I'm Burnin' I'm Burnin' I'm Burnin' for You!
                    What American car made headlines in the late seventies for its supposed tendency to burst into flames when struck from behind, causing many to declare it one of the worst cars ever made?

Question 2
                    Category: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me the News!
                    What eighties television medical drama was a spinoff of M*A*S*H, though none of the actors in the the original movie or the television show were in the spinoff?

Question 3
                    Category: I Want a Doctor to Take Your Picture, So I Can Look at You From Inside As Well!
                    Black and white photos take several baths in the darkroom before they're hung up to dry. The last bath is plain water. What do the photos (almost always) bathe in just before being placed in the water?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 7!

Good luck, and get going!
                    Tomorrow: The first of the contestant-submitted questions!
                    Last edited by scrivener; October 6, 2005, 09:51 PM. Reason: "You are only coming through in waves . . ."
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

K.K.. I'm in! I'm in!

Hard to beat Glen's split second answers though.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 7!

Question 1
                        Category: I'm Burnin' I'm Burnin' I'm Burnin' for You!
                        What American car made headlines in the late seventies for its supposed tendency to burst into flames when struck from behind, causing many to declare it one of the worst cars ever made?
                        Most of you knew this was the Ford Pinto (and its twin, the Mercury Bobcat) without looking it up; however, tiptoetulip sent me a link to a source that claims the Ford Mustang is a valid answer, so I'm taking it.

Whinnies, nickers, and neighs to glen miyashiro, helen, zztype, kimo55, mel, pomai, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, kevin_jay, and tiptoetulip!

Question 2
                        Category: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me the News!
                        What eighties television medical drama was a spinoff of M*A*S*H, though none of the actors in the original movie or the television show were in the spinoff?
                        That would be Trapper John, M.D., a pretty good show set twenty eight years after the Korean conflict in which M*A*S*H was set.

Fifty CCs of adrenaline, stat! to glen, helen, zztype, kimo55, mel, pomai, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, and tiptoetulip for their correct responses!

Question 3
                        Category: I Want a Doctor to Take Your Picture, So I Can Look at You From Inside As Well!
                        Black and white photos take several baths in the darkroom before they're hung up to dry. The last bath is plain water. What do the photos (almost always) bathe in just before being placed in the water?
                        I'm taking hypo clearing agent as an acceptable answer, but fixer is the answer I was going for. For those of you who might not remember, hypo clearing agent allowed for shorter clean-water baths and fewer problems with uneven drying, much the same way Photoflo did with film processing.

Double prints to glen miyashiro, zztype, kimo55, mel, pomai, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, kevin_jay, and tiptoetulip for staying focused.

Here are the current standings!
                        20: tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
                        19: glen miyashiro, shave ice
                        16: zztype
                        13: pzarquon
                        12: lavagal
                        11: mel
                        7: helen
                        6: kimo55
                        3: pomai
                        2: kevin_jay

new questions, next post!
                        Last edited by scrivener; October 7, 2005, 10:04 PM. Reason: "No more Mister Clee-hee-hee-heen!"
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                          Most of you knew this without looking it up; however, tiptoetulip sent me a link to a source that claims the Ford Mustang is a valid answer, so I'm taking it.
                          So, was there another car you were thinking of?
                          Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Hahaha! Ford "Poof" Pinto!

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
                            So, was there another car you were thinking of?

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                              Hahaha! Ford "Poof" Pinto!
                              I was thinking of that, Blaine! "Poof"....hahahahaha!

Excerpt from the link I provided:
                              Many more people have burned alive in Mustangs built after 1970. Indeed, during the mid 1970’s the Mustang and the Pinto shared the same fuel system and rear structure design. Not surprisingly, more people have burned alive in Mustangs of that era than did in the Pinto. When the Pinto was recalled, the Mustang should have been but was not.
                              Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Don't forget the Pinto's evil twin, the Mercury Bobcat.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X