Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game!
    Here are the questions for Day 8!

Question 1
    Category: Put On Your Red Shoes!
    What is the name given to a high school dance to which the girls invite the boys?

Question 2
    Category: Every Day Has its Dog
    For an eighth of a point each, give the name of:
    1. the dog in Luann,
    2. the dog in Peanuts,
    3. the dog in Blondie,
    4. the dog in Hagar the Horrible,
    5. the dog in Marvin,
    6. the dog in Marmaduke,
    7. the dog in Beetle Bailey, and
    8. the iguana in FoxTrot!

Question 3 (submitted by a participant; I'll tell you who on Saturday)
    Category: Hawaii, Oh Hawaii Was This Canceled?
    What sporting event, scheduled for Oahu in 1999 with a purse of ten million dollars, was canceled less than a month before its scheduled date?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 8!

Good luck, and get going!
    Tomorrow: Something a little different!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
      So, was there another car you were thinking of?
      Ooooh. Needling the scorekeeper is NOT in your best interest!
      Thanks for the heads-up; I edited the post to indicate my expected answer.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        Ooooh. Needling the scorekeeper is NOT in your best interest!
        Thanks for the heads-up; I edited the post to indicate my expected answer.
        Whoops! Just checking! I wasn't sure if you were meaning the Pinto, with your original post.
        Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 8!

Question 1
          Category: Put On Your Red Shoes!
          What is the name given to a high school dance to which the girls invite the boys?
          Inspired by a character of the same name in Li'l Abner, the Sadie Hawkins dance encourages the girls to invite the boys. I wonder if they still do this anywhere.

Two trips to the punchbowl to kimo55, mel, tiptoetulip, lavagal, helen, shaveice, surfingfarmboy, and zztype!

Question 2
          Category: Every Day Has its Dog
          For an eighth of a point each, give the name of:
          1. the dog in Luann,
          2. the dog in Peanuts,
          3. the dog in Blondie,
          4. the dog in Hagar the Horrible,
          5. the dog in Marvin,
          6. the dog in Marmaduke,
          7. the dog in Beetle Bailey, and
          8. the iguana in FoxTrot!
          1. the dog in Luann is Puddles,
          2. the dog in Peanuts is Snoopy,
          3. the dog in Blondie is Daisy,
          4. the dog in Hagar the Horrible is Snert,
          5. the dog in Marvin is Bitsy,
          6. the dog in Marmaduke is Marmaduke,
          7. the dog in Beetle Bailey is Otto, and
          8. the iguana in FoxTrot is Quincy!

A full point each goes to tiptoetulip, lavagal, shaveice, surfingfarmboy (mailing it in from the airport on his way to the Chicago Marathon!), mel, and zztype. For getting seven out of eight, .875 point goes to helen and kevin_jay.

Question 3 (submitted by a participant; I'll tell you who on Saturday)
          Category: Hawaii, Oh Hawaii Was This Canceled?
          What sporting event, scheduled for Oahu in 1999 with a purse of ten million dollars, was canceled less than a month before its scheduled date?
          Tonight's participant-submitted question was sent in by TipToeTulip, who scores one point because at least two people got the correct answer, which is the Hawaiian Super Prix. It seemed like a good idea, but it also seemed way too rushed, if you ask me.

Victory laps go to mel, lavagal, shaveice, surfingfarmboy, zztype, and kevin_jay, with a half point going to helen for knowing it was an auto race but not knowing its name.

Here are the current standings!
          23: tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
          22: shave ice
          19: glen miyashiro, zztype
          15: lavagal
          14: mel
          13: pzarquon
          12: lavagal
          9.325: helen
          7: kimo55
          3.875: kevin_jay
          3: pomai

New questions, next post!
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 9!

I was going to do something a little different today, but my podcast took a little longer to record than I expected, so you'll have to wait for the something different!

Question 1
            Category: Chalk One Up For . . .
            What is Oahu's only Seventh-Day Adventist high school?

Question 2
            Category: That's Why I'm Easy
            The old Commodore 64 and VIC-20 computers didn't have backslash keys, making silly spinning-curser tricks look funny if you were modeming with one. What character on Commodore keyboards was assigned the backslash ascii code?

Question 3
            Category: "I Might As Well Go Up and Talk to a Wall . . . "
            What do the Doors' "Mr. Mojo Risin'" and Missing Persons' Spring Session M have in common?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 9!

Good luck, and get going!
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 9!

Question 1
              Category: Chalk One Up For . . .
              What is Oahu's only Seventh-Day Adventist high school?
              That would be Hawaiian Mission Academy, which, when I was in high school, I would always tell people was "the one near the under-the-freeway post office." I had friends who dated HMA girls when I was in high school; it was a little weird, 'cause as you know, Seventh-Day Adventists honor the sabbath beginning at sundown on Friday and ending at sundown on Saturday. That made dating pretty tough! Also, HMA has difficulty fielding sports teams for the same reason.

I would also add that Colleen and Iris, wherever you are, if any girls were worth working around that schedule, it would be you! I swear, some guys get all the luck.

No study hall or detention for helen, shave ice, lavagal, mel, zztype, surfingfarmboy, and tiptoetulip! Sorry, but Leeward Adventist Mission School is only K to 8.

Question 2
              Category: That's Why I'm Easy
              The old Commodore 64 and VIC-20 computers didn't have backslash keys, making silly spinning-curser tricks look funny if you were modeming with one. What character on Commodore keyboards was assigned the backslash ascii code?
              What in the world would you need a BRITISH POUND SYMBOL for? Don't know, but that's what replaced the backslash on the C64 computers!

A little pat on the ASCII to shave ice, mel, zztype, surfingfarmboy, kevin_jay, and tiptoetulip!

Question 3
              Category: "I Might As Well Go Up and Talk to a Wall . . . "
              What do the Doors' "Mr. Mojo Risin'" and Missing Persons' Spring Session M have in common?
              Rearrange the letters in "Mr. Mojo Risin'" and you get "Jim Morrison." Rearrange the letters in "Spring Session M," and you get "Missing Persons." Yes, they are both anagrams!

TALON CURTAINS GO to shave ice, lavagal, mel, kimo55, surfingfarmboy, and tiptoetulip for saying "letter rip!"

26: tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
              25: shave ice
              21: zztype
              19: glen miyashiro
              17: lavagal, mel
              13: pzarquon
              10.325: helen
              8: kimo55
              4.875: kevin_jay

Hey! We're only a fourth of the way through this thing, so if you're thinking you've missed the boat, you're wrong! Jump on and play with us!

Last edited by scrivener; October 9, 2005, 10:46 PM. Reason: "The groom's still waiting at the altar . . ."
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 10!

Question 1
                Category: Weight and See
                For what Hawaii high school football team did Konishiki play?

Question 2
                Category: Just a Blockhead
                What did the word "tetris" have to do with the hopelessly addicting video game it named?

Question 3
                Category: "Believe Me, Your Kids are Gonna Love It!"
                When drink does Marty McFly initially request in a 1950s soda shoppe in Back to the Future?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 10!

Tomorrow: Three Non-Google-able Questions!
                Last edited by scrivener; October 9, 2005, 10:40 PM. Reason: "Gotta get back in time . . . "
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 10!

Question 1
                  Category: Weight and See
                  For what Hawaii high school football team did Konishiki play?
                  Yes, Salevaa Atisanoe did graduate from University Laboratory School (commonly Univeristy High; currently Education Lab School), but as you know, it doesn't have its own football team. He played for Pac-5.

Gatorade showers to glen miyashiro, shave ice, kimo55, surfingfarmboy, tiptoetulip, mel, and lavagal!

Question 2
                  Category: Just a Blockhead
                  What did the word "tetris" have to do with the hopelessly addicting video game it named?
                  The pieces that fell from the sky were the seven possible arrangements of four adjacent blocks. Tetra = four.

Bonus tokens to madazza, glen miyashiro, shave ice, kimo55, surfingfarmboy, tiptoetulip, pzarquon, and kevin_jay!

Question 3
                  Category: "Believe Me, Your Kids are Gonna Love It!"
                  When drink does Marty McFly initially request in a 1950s soda shoppe in Back to the Future?
                  Lou: You gonna order something, kid?
                  Marty: Ah, yeah. Give me a Tab.
                  Lou: Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something!
                  Marty: All right, give me a Pepsi Free.
                  Lou: You want a Pepsi, pal, you're gonna pay for it!

The correct answer is Tab, which Surfingfarmboy says is still quite popular in the northeast. Those sickos!

Ice cream sodas to madazza, helen, glen miyashiro, shaveice, surfingfarmboy, zztype, tiptoetulip, pzarquon, mel, lavagal, and kevin_jay for getting back in time!

29: tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
                  28: shave ice
                  22: zztype, glen miyashiro
                  19: lavagal, mel
                  15: pzarquon
                  11.325: helen
                  10: kimo55
                  6.875: kevin_jay
                  2: madazza

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 11!

Oops. I forgot to write non-Google-able questions. Perhaps tomorrow.

Question 1
                    Category: Another Brick in the Wall
                    What University of Hawaii classroom building was recently renamed because of students' complaints about the person for whom it had been named?

Question 2
                    Category: My Enemy's Enemy is My Friend
                    What rival companies were founded by the Dassler brothers?

Question 3
                    Category: My Husband's (W)Easel
                    What painter claimed the legal rights to her work when her husband, who'd been taking credit, declined to participate in an in-court "paint-off" to demonstrate who the actual artist was?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 11!
                    Last edited by scrivener; October 10, 2005, 10:21 PM. Reason: "Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain . . . "
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 11!

Question 1
                      Category: Another Brick in the Wall
                      What University of Hawaii classroom building was recently renamed because of students' complaints about the person for whom it had been named?
                      Porteus Hall, the poli sci building, was renamed the Social Sciences building a few years ago and recently renamed Saunders Hall! Rainbows go to zztype, surfingfarmboy, shaveice, and mel for getting it right!

Question 2
                      Category: My Enemy's Enemy is My Friend
                      What rival companies were founded by the Dassler brothers?
                      That would be PUMA and Adidas, founded by Rudolf and Adolf Dassler in Germany. Adolf named his company after himself; I sorta wish Rudolf had named his company Rudidas.

Wet sponges go to zztype, helen, kevin_jay, surfingfarmboy, shaveice, and mel for running right through that one!

Question 3
                      Category: My Husband's (W)Easel
                      What painter claimed the legal rights to her work when her husband, who'd been taking credit, declined to participate in an in-court "paint-off" to demonstrate who the actual artist was?

Yeah, her work mostly sucks, but it is worth millions: Margaret Keane challenged her ex-husband to a paint-off in the park, but he was a no-show. Later, in court, Margaret painted one of her big-eyed waifs in about an hour, and her ex-husband said he had a sore shoulder so he couldn't paint! ZZ sent this link to a great article about the whole thing.

Wide-eyed stares go to zztype, kevin_jay, and surfingfarmboy for keeping their eyes on the prize!

And for the first time in this game, we have a sole leader!
                      32: surfingfarmboy
                      30: shave ice
                      29: tiptoetulip
                      25: zztype
                      22: glen miyashiro
                      21: mel
                      19: lavagal
                      15: pzarquon
                      12.325: helen
                      10: kimo55
                      8.875: kevin_jay
                      2: madazza

Last edited by scrivener; October 11, 2005, 09:54 PM. Reason: "Children behave . . . That's what they say when we're together . . ."
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Whattt?!! I don't understand? What happened to TiptoeTulip? Yeah, I wanted to catch up, but not by her dropping out!! Eh Tulip, come back!!
                        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 12!

Question 1
                          Category: Kwyjibo!
                          I was playing Yahoo! Literati a few weeks ago and my rack showed these letters: aadmrry
                          It was late in the game, I was considerably behind, and I really needed a seven-letter bingo! Time was ticking away, so I hurriedly threw letters on the board and got one! What was my seven-letter word?

Question 2
                          Category: The Frightening Thing Is Not Dying; The Frightening Thing Is Not Living
                          What member of Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue was the Grammy-winning producer of a recent, movie-soundtrack, surprise smash hit?

Question 3
                          Category: Towering Above the Rest
                          What television host said, in his first post-September-11 show, that his apartment used to have a view of the World Trade Center, but with the towers gone, it now had a view of the Statue of Liberty?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 12!
                          Last edited by scrivener; October 11, 2005, 09:52 PM. Reason: "She's my best friend's girlfriend . . ."
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                            Whattt?!! I don't understand? What happened to TiptoeTulip? Yeah, I wanted to catch up, but not by her dropping out!! Eh Tulip, come back!!
                            This was the first day back from fall break for a lot of schools; I wonder if she's swamped with first-day-back stuff...
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

zz, don't you worry! tiptoe will not be denied! she's gonna rip us all to shreds! mark my words!
                              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
                                zz, don't you worry! tiptoe will not be denied! she's gonna rip us all to shreds! mark my words!
                                Actually, I don't doubt that at all! What I really can't believe is how many gaffes I've pulled in MY answers so far. And all my goofed answers, she seems to nail, effortlessly! Grrr!

But still, I miss having the "gecko lady" around!
                                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X