Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Yes, so far TipToeTulip and Shave Ice have been our come-out-of-nowhere contestants. I know Moto's on a trip, but I thought cezanne would have had fun with this (he did so well on the photo game). And where's EastCoastTropics? :sad:
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Question about today's question 1: I've never played Literati before and I'm reading the rules of play. Since you were late in your game, you would have had to play all 7 of your tiles in one swoop, against an existing tile on the board, correct?

Are we privvy to the tile on the board that completes your 8-letter word? Am I making correct assumptions here or am I completely on the wrong track?

Thanks, if you can answer this or clarify the question for me.

Blaine
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
        Question about today's question 1: I've never played Literati before and I'm reading the rules of play. Since you were late in your game, you would have had to play all 7 of your tiles in one swoop, against an existing tile on the board, correct?

Are we privvy to the tile on the board that completes your 8-letter word? Am I making correct assumptions here or am I completely on the wrong track?

Thanks, if you can answer this or clarify the question for me.

Blaine

Don't need to be making an 8-letter word as this word could run along the side, top or bottom without being more than its own 7 letters. Hence, the a could sit on or under an m, the r could sit under an o, etc.
        Love Scrabble. Play it every night.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I didn't HAVE to play all seven tiles, but I was running out of time to make my move (you have 3 minutes) and I was running out of time in the game (when the tiles are used up, the game is over), so I knew that it would take a seven-tile "bingo," which comes with a 35-point bonus, in order for me to win the game.

Sometimes, you play the seven tiles against an existing tile, making an eight-letter word, but sometimes you play them at the end of an existing word, extending the existing word by one letter (so "cab" becomes "cabs" going one way, and that S is part of your word going the other). In this case, all you need to be concerned about is that I made a seven-letter word with the letters I've shown you; the game itself is irrelevant. I was, you know, giving it a little bit of context just for interest's sake.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Thanks so much, that's all I needed to know.

Mahalo LavaGal, too. I love Scrabble, too!

Comment

Whattt?!! I don't understand? What happened to TiptoeTulip? Yeah, I wanted to catch up, but not by her dropping out!! Eh Tulip, come back!!
              Hey Blaine (and everyone else!), I'm still here!

Aaaugh, I was going to at least send in the answer for #2 about those Dassler brothers. In fact, I had a message to scrivener, but I guess in all my back-to-school tiredness I must have closed my laptop without sending it! Oh well. Let me tell ya, I was irritated having realized that!

Yes, Scriv, a hectic back-to-school day, plus meetings in the afternoon. Thank goodness tomorrow is Wednesday---a "short" day. Still, some kids can make the day stretch on forrrrrrrevvvvvvvvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Mahalo to all who wondered where I am! I'll still do my best to answer what I can.
              Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

this is a question for zztype, kevin_jay, and surfingfarmboy who got the margaret keane question right: how'd you know? was it a fairly big story? i'd never heard of it (not surprising since i sometimes pay attention to the news and then i turn off for long periods of time....). even when i did a search on the web, i came up empty handed and wonder if perhaps i just typed in key words which weren't very helpful.

just wondering
                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

While people are questioning, I want to know more about this "tetra = 4" thing. I looked up sevral Tetris websites and an explanation for that answer was not mentioned. It would be appreciated if some of the more obscure answers be better explained or have a link to where further information can be found.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Here's the explanation I found that I submitted and did not get correct:

What did the word "tetris" have to do with the hopelessly addicting video game it named?
                    tetris was named = "Tetra" (four) and "is" (the last two letters of the creator's [Alexey Pajitnov] favorite sport, tennis)

Originally posted by mel
                    While people are questioning, I want to know more about this "tetra = 4" thing. I looked up sevral Tetris websites and an explanation for that answer was not mentioned. It would be appreciated if some of the more obscure answers be better explained or have a link to where further information can be found.

Comment

I remembered the court case being mentioned in the news. Margaret Keane spent a lot of time here and was a big supporter of the Academy of Art. When this hit the news, it was a "big thing." I think I googled "big eye paintings" and "paint-off" and found the article I mentioned as backup confirmation.

Originally posted by shaveice
                      this is a question for zztype, kevin_jay, and surfingfarmboy who got the margaret keane question right: how'd you know? was it a fairly big story? i'd never heard of it (not surprising since i sometimes pay attention to the news and then i turn off for long periods of time....). even when i did a search on the web, i came up empty handed and wonder if perhaps i just typed in key words which weren't very helpful.

just wondering

Comment

I'm yawning! I'm yawning! I want my results! I want my next questions! I want my zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzssss!
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Awwww. I wanted to give you some gum! LOL! But I nomo right now! Funny!

Originally posted by lavagal
                          I'm yawning! I'm yawning! I want my results! I want my next questions! I want my zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzssss!

Comment

Awwww. I wanted to give you some gum! LOL! But I nomo right now! Funny!

Thanks, anyway. I'd rather chew on some trivia! @
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

sorry. I was cooking. And doing laundry.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game!
                                Here are the answers for Day 12!

Hey. Safari doesn't display the colors in the colors pull-down menu you see when you post a reply. I'm writing this using Explorer and am astounded.

Question 1
                                Category: Kwyjibo!
                                I was playing Yahoo! Literati a few weeks ago and my rack showed these letters: aadmrry
                                It was late in the game, I was considerably behind, and I really needed a seven-letter bingo! Time was ticking away, so I hurriedly threw letters on the board and got one! What was my seven-letter word?
                                The only valid seven-letter word using these letters is YARDARM, which means a big, dumb, balding, North American ape with no chin!

Just kidding. Surfingfarmboy says this word is all over the northeast in the names of restaurants. I find that amusing.

So fish and chips with extra vinegar to lavagal, glen miyashiro, palama kid, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, zztype, mel, and tiptoetulip for their correct answers!

Question 2
                                Category: The Frightening Thing Is Not Dying; The Frightening Thing Is Not Living
                                What member of Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue was the Grammy-winning producer of a recent, movie-soundtrack, surprise smash hit?
                                Okay. A couple things I want you to know about T Bone Burnett:
                                • First, T Bone Burnett is the preferred spelling now. Once upon a time, he was T-Bone Burnett (with the hyphen), and before that he was J. Henry Burnett. But now, it's just T Bone Burnett. No Hyphen.
                                • He is one of America's most successful record producers, guiding some truly landmark albums, including Counting Crows's first album, Los Lobos's How Will the Wolf Survive?, Elvis Costello's King of America, The Wallflowers's Bringing Down the Horse, and two albums by my favorite musician of all time, Bruce Cockburn.
                                • His solo albums are works of pure brilliance. Genius. Bruce is my favorite musician, but more of T Bone's albums are in my top twenty than any other musician's.
                                • The publishing rights for a great many of the songs on the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack never belonged to the original musicians and songwriters, or had been given up a long time ago. As you can guess, this album generated a LOT of money for T Bone and the record company, so T Bone went up in the Appalachians (or wherever he could find the musicians or their next of kin) and paid the rightful people himself. The man is a class act; the sort I model myself after.
                                • T Bone is a Christian; another reason I am inspired by him. Being a Christian doesn't necessarily mean all the things a lot of you think of when you hear the word.

Okay. Enough fanboy stuff. Congratulations to shave ice, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, kilinahe, zztype, mel, and tiptoetulip for getting it right!

Question 3
                                Category: Towering Above the Rest
                                What television host said, in his first post-September-11 show, that his apartment used to have a view of the World Trade Center, but with the towers gone, it now had a view of the Statue of Liberty?
                                Jon Stewart. Check out this cool link zztype sends us.

A moment of Zen for shave ice, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, kilinahe, zztype, and tiptoetulip for knowing that one!

Here are the current standings!
                                35: surfingfarmboy
                                33: shave ice
                                32: tiptoetulip
                                28: zztype
                                23: glen miyashiro, mel
                                20: lavagal
                                18: pzarquon
                                12.325: helen
                                10: kimo55
                                8.875: kevin_jay
                                3: pomai
                                2: madazza, kilinahe
                                1: palama kid

New questions, next post!
                                Last edited by scrivener; October 12, 2005, 10:48 PM. Reason: "They don't give a damn about any trumpet-playing band . . ."
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X