Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Mostly the only reason I didn't get in answers a few times this session was because I was so swamped with work, life, family, chores.

So it's kinda nice to have a break from trivia tonight, but I am going to have withdrawals if our academic doesn't send up three questions in a couple of hours.

Unless he's out on a date. Then that's OK.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Hahaha! That's cute. Out on a date... Yeah, I would agree.

Go gettum, Scriv!

Blaine
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Yes, I had a date with Dr. Dorothy Douthit and fifteen classmates at the Hawaii Loa campus of HPU. I spent some serious bank on her, too. New questions coming up.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener

Yes, I had a date with Dr. Dorothy Douthit and fifteen classmates at the Hawaii Loa campus of HPU. I spent some serious bank on her, too. New questions coming up.

Group dates are good, even in a classroom setting. A step in the right direction. Ya never know when someone is gonna say "Here's my daughter's phone number. Call her."
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

It's the Hawaii Threads Trivia Game!
            Here are the questions for day 17!

First, here are the current standings:
            44: surfingfarmboy
            38: zztype
            35: tiptoetulip
            34: shave ice
            27.5: mel
            26: pzarquon
            24: glen miyashiro, lavagal
            15.825: helen
            12.875: kevin_jay
            10: kimo55
            4: palama kid
            3: pomai
            2: madazza, kilinahe

Question 1
            Category: A Lot of Hot Air and a Sinking Feeling
            They were known as Led Zeppelin, but who is credited with inspiring this name? (I fully expect everyone in the room to get this one!)

Question 2
            Category: Hold On to Your . . .

What is this a drawing of? (hint: it's not a hat, and when you first saw this exact drawing, it was probably grey)

Question 3
            Category: Enchanted
            Ehuehu `oe i ka la`i o Kamakou
            E kama `ia ke aloha a pa`a
            E ola loa no `oe a kau i ka pua aneane.
            E o mai i kou inoa
            `O ke kupu`eu `oe o ke ki ho `alu.
            Who is the subject of this mele?
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for day 17!

Question 1
              Category: A Lot of Hot Air and a Sinking Feeling
              They were known as Led Zeppelin, but who is credited with inspiring this name? (I fully expect everyone in the room to get this one!)
              Keith Moon, drummer for The Who. He'd been playing with bandmate John Entwistle in a sort of supergroup with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, and said the thing would go over "like a lead zeppelin." The first word was deliberately misspelled to avoid Americans' mispronouncing it "leed zeppelin."

A Whole Lotta Love to zztype, glen miyashiro, kilinahe, surfingfarmboy, lavagal, pzarquon, and mel for their excellent Misty Mountain Hop.

Question 2
              Category: Hold On to Your . . .

What is this a drawing of? (hint: it's not a hat, and when you first saw this exact drawing, it was probably grey)
              You should all have asked your librarians or children, for surely they've read Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, in which it is explained that this drawing is of an elephant being swallowed by a boa constrictor.

I had no idea this would prove to be such a Rorschach test! Kilinahe saw a snail, and Surfingfarmboy said, "The rear view of two cats, standing flush against one another, eating out of a single bowl." Says mel: "Someone told me this is a snake swallowing/eating an elephant. Not a very good thing if you are a Republican. But I am sure a lot of people on this board would be happy if Republicans got swallowed by a snake."

Perhaps this illustration will help (also from The Little Prince):

Sheep drawings go to glen miyashiro, mel, and lavagal for getting it right, and a half-pint--I mean half-point-- goes to helen for saying "a snake eating something."

Question 3
              Category: Enchanted
              Ehuehu `oe i ka la`i o Kamakou
              E kama `ia ke aloha a pa`a
              E ola loa no `oe a kau i ka pua aneane.
              E o mai i kou inoa
              `O ke kupu`eu `oe o ke ki ho `alu.
              Who is the subject of this mele?
              Sheesh. I should have googled this before I posted it. Since when do liner notes get posted to the web by the record labels that publish them? That's odd! Well, yes, it is Sonny Chillingworth, one of the greatest slack-key guitarists ever, ever, ever. He was awesome, and his album on Dancing Cat Records, Sonny Solo is a must-own for even the most casual of ki ho`alu fans!

The chant was written and performed by Kalena Silva in Sonny's honor. You can see it in its entirety (with translation) here.

Hana hous to zztype, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, and mel for their excellent googling skills!

Here are the current standings!
              46: surfingfarmboy
              40: zztype
              30.5: mel
              28: pzarquon
              26: glen miyashiro, lavagal
              16.325: helen
              12.875: kevin_jay
              3: pomai, kilinahe
              2: madazza

New questions, next post!
              Last edited by scrivener; October 18, 2005, 10:51 PM. Reason: "It's all part of my fantasy . . ."
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for day 18!

Question 1
                Category: Make Mine a Redeye

This is one molecule of a common, everyday chemical. What is it?

Question 2
                Category: Everything That Rises Must Converge
                What is the name given to the concept stating that members of a bureaucracy rise to their respective levels of incompetence?

Question 3 (contestant-submitted question)
                Category: How Many Roads Must a Man Walk Down?
                Maybe you already knew that Hawaii had four interstates, not just three, and that the mysterious fourth stretch of road only recently got outed after years disguised as State Route 78. But do you know why, in 1989, the state requested the route be made an official "Interstate highway" in the first place?

Good luck! Please submit your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on the 19th!
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                  You should all have asked your librarians or children, for surely they've read Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, in which it is explained that this drawing is of an elephant being swallowed by a boa constrictor.
                  Y'know, I looked at it and knew it was an elephant having been swallowed by a snake....is that just the teacher in me? Must come from having to figure out all the drawings from the kiddies!

Oh well, I am way too busy to really continue the trivia. Report cards call...

Have fun....Blaine, you get 'um!!
                  Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
                    Y'know, I looked at it and knew it was an elephant having been swallowed by a snake....is that just the teacher in me? Must come from having to figure out all the drawings from the kiddies!

Oh well, I am way too busy to really continue the trivia. Report cards call...

Have fun....Blaine, you get 'um!!
                    Awwwww, junk!!! But I do understand. Take care of those kids!
                    Blaine
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

• Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Here are the answers for day 18!

Question 1
                      Category: Make Mine a Redeye

This is one molecule of a common, everyday chemical. What is it?
                      That heavenly nectar of the gods of morning, caffeine. Red Bulls go to surfingfarmboy, kilinahe, pzarquon, kevin_jay, and lavagal for their alert adrenal glands.

Surfingfarmboy adds this bit of trivia about caffeine:
                      "My little bit of trivia for you abour caffeine: Marathoners are only allowed to have so much caffeine in their blood, if they are subject to drug testing, i.e., after getting their blood tested upon winning a race or placing in prize money. The maximum amount allowed is the equivalent of 4 cups of coffee. The USTAF, the body which governs official American qualifying marathons, such as Boston, New York, and Honolulu, considers caffeine a controlled, performance enhancing substance, and as such, regulates its use in marathons severely. The normal amount you get in drinking a cup or two of coffee is okay; to take 6 tablets of No-Doze, if caught, will get one disqualified."

Question 2
                      Category: Everything That Rises Must Converge
                      What is the name given to the concept stating that members of a bureaucracy rise to their respective levels of incompetence?
                      That would be The Peter Principal, named by the author of the book with the same name. Dr. Something Peter; I can't remember and am too lazy to look it up. Helen, surfingfarmboy, kilinahe, pzarquon, and lavagal rose above their levels of incompetence and nailed that one.

Honorable mention goes to mel for his answer: Democrats.

Question 3 (contestant-submitted question)
                      Category: How Many Roads Must a Man Walk Down?
                      Maybe you already knew that Hawaii had four interstates, not just three, and that the mysterious fourth stretch of road only recently got outed after years disguised as State Route 78. But do you know why, in 1989, the state requested the route be made an official "Interstate highway" in the first place?
                      Here's the answer as it was mailed to me:
                      "According to Russell Iwasa of Hawaii DOT, "Moanalua Road [now Moanalua Freeway] was reclassified to Interstate status ... to correct a nonconforming condition at the junction of Moanalua Road and Interstate H-1 near Fort Shafter and Middle Street. The nonconforming condition was that (looking Ewa or West-bound for instance) Moanalua Road constituted an Interstate exit on the wrong (left) side of the Interstate. Reclassifying Moanalua Road to an Interstate corrected that condition." (From Oscar Voss' great HawaiiHighways.com)"

Okay. How many of you knew that before you Googled it? Not me! However, helen, surfingfarmboy, mel, and zztype correctly answered pzarquon's question, which means pz gets a point also!

49: surfingfarmboy
                      41: zztype
                      31.5: mel
                      31: pzarquon
                      28: lavagal
                      26: glen miyashiro
                      18.325: helen
                      13.875: kevin_jay
                      5: kilinahe

Last edited by scrivener; October 19, 2005, 09:36 PM. Reason: "If I had a pony, I'd ride him on my boat . . ."
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for day 19! Today's theme: Similarities!

Question 1
                        Category: Who Are You?

Infinity by Journey
                        5150 by Van Halen
                        Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath
                        A Trick of the Tale by Genesis
                        Feel Euphoria by Spock's Beard
                        Images and Words by Dream Theater

What do the these albums have in common?

Question 2
                        Category: Deep

Troy Brown, defensive back, New England Patriots
                        Randy Moss, wide receiver, Oakland Raiders
                        Chad Pennington, quarterback, New York Jets
                        Byron Leftwich, quarterback, Jacksonville Jaguars
                        Peyton Manning, quarterback, Indianapolis Colts
                        Darius Watts, wide receiver, Denver Broncos

Which NFL player doesn't belong on this list? (hint: it has nothing to do with age, field position, or time)

Question 3
                        Category: Fin

Married with Children
                        Hope & Faith
                        Dynasty
                        Herndon
                        The Love Boat
                        Happy Days

What do these television shows have in common?

Please submit your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on October 19! Good luck, and HAVE FUN!
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for day 19!

Question 1
                          Category: Who Are You?

Infinity by Journey
                          5150 by Van Halen
                          Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath
                          A Trick of the Tale by Genesis
                          Feel Euphoria by Spock's Beard
                          Images and Words by Dream Theater

What do the these albums have in common?
                          Hmmm...only Kilinahe and ZZType knew that these albums were significant in these groups' history, as they were the first albums with new lead singers: Steve Perry with Journey, Sammy Hagar with Van Halen, Ronnie James Dio with Black Sabbath, Phil Collins with Genesis, Nick D'Virgilio with Spock's Beard, and James LaBrie with Dream Theater. In the cases of D'Virgilio and Collins (just for your info), these new singers were already members of the bands -- drummers, both -- and stepped out from behind the drum kit to assume lead vocal duties. In the cases of Perry, Collins, and LaBrie, the new singers marked new commercial success for the bands and became in most listeners' minds the signature voices.

Question 2
                          Category: Deep

Troy Brown, defensive back, New England Patriots
                          Randy Moss, wide receiver, Oakland Raiders
                          Chad Pennington, quarterback, New York Jets
                          Byron Leftwich, quarterback, Jacksonville Jaguars
                          Peyton Manning, quarterback, Indianapolis Colts
                          Darius Watts, wide receiver, Denver Broncos

Which NFL player doesn't belong on this list? (hint: it has nothing to do with age, field position, or time)
                          Everyone on this list, except for Peyton Manning played college football as members of Marshall University's Thundering Herd! Rah! Rah! Rah! to helen, mel, and surfingfarmboy for leaping into the endzone on that one!

Question 3
                          Category: Fin

Married with Children
                          Hope & Faith
                          Dynasty
                          Herndon
                          The Love Boat
                          Happy Days

What do these television shows have in common?
                          Oh, boy. Ted McGinley, the patron saint of shark-jumping, was a member of the casts of all of these shows! Bowls of shark-fin soup go to helen and surfingfarmboy for nailing that one!

51: surfingfarmboy
                          42: zztype
                          32.5: mel
                          31: pzarquon
                          28: lavagal
                          20.325: helen
                          6: kilinahe

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for day 20!

Question 1
                            Category: The Hambone's Connected to the . . .
                            What item of sporting use is traditionally, in some circles, rubbed with a hambone?

Question 2
                            Category: Is It in You?
                            What Gatorade-related product might you have found in the candy aisle, once upon a time?

Question 3
                            Category: Wow-Wee.
                            What Maui destination features a rock with a strange likeness to a former US President, and who is this President?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 21!
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for day 20!

Question 1
                              Category: The Hambone's Connected to the . . .
                              What item of sporting use is traditionally, in some circles, rubbed with a hambone?
                              If you've never boned a baseball bat, you haven't lived. Most evidence seems to indicate that none of the traditional reasons for boning a bat are actually accomplished by the practice. Big League Chew to lavagal, mel, surfingfarmboy, and zztype for not striking out there. There were a few guesses related to rugby -- do you guys know something about rugby that I don't?

Question 2
                              Category: Is It in You?
                              What Gatorade-related product might you have found in the candy aisle, once upon a time?
                              Gatorgum! Or Gatorade Gum, but that's not as cool a name. It was dry and crumbly, but it still managed to be juicy. Did its sourness just stimulate your salivary glands or something? Trips to the candy store go to pzqarquon, lavagal, jdub, mel, surfingfarmboy, and zztype for sticking that one out.

Question 3
                              Category: Wow-Wee.
                              What Maui destination features a rock with a strange likeness to a former US President, and who is this President?
                              It's President John F. Kennedy in Maui's Iao Valley State Park. Hail to pzarquon, lavagal, jdub (half a point for getting the president right), mel, surfingfarmboy, helen, and zztype!

54: surfingfarmboy
                              45: zztype
                              35.5: mel
                              33: pzarquon
                              31: lavagal
                              21.325: helen
                              6: kilinahe
                              1.5: jdub

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for day 21!

Question 1
                                Category: What's in a Name?
                                For one eighth of a point each, name the popular musicians or bands who are also known by these nicknames:
                                1. Slowhand
                                2. The Boss
                                3. The Motor City Madman
                                4. The Godfather of Soul
                                5. The Queen of Soul
                                6. The Bad Boys from Boston
                                7. Great Gonzo
                                8. That Little Old Band from Texas
                                9. The King of Rock and Roll
                                10. The Waimea Cowboy
                                11. The Red Rocker
                                12. The King of the World
                                13. The Man in Black
                                14. The Master of the Telecaster (I'm looking for someone who's not a member of the E Street band)
                                15. The Killer
                                16. The Red-Headed Stranger

Question 2
                                Category: Come Gather 'Round People, Wherever You Roam
                                In what popular game does it cost one white mana to cast a Sacred Rites spell?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 22!

Good luck, and have fun!
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X