What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Doors, With Ben Fong Torres

This large frame book is probably the best overall view of The Doors, one of the greatest and important bands in history, to date.
    Included are superb, and big, pictures from beginning to end, with tons of introspective text, many of both appearing in publication for the first time.
    The timeline layout of quotes is excellant, ranging from everybody in and involved with the band, including Jim, his family members, and studio personel.
    The stories are priceless, giving a complete perspective on the times prior to the band, the earliest moments of it's inception, and throughout, including the feel of the times (the '60s) themselves.

Torres knocked this one out of the park.

It can be had at Borders, in the sale bins, for only $10.00!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

• Re: What are you currently reading?

Daughter & I are currently reading Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer, the final book in the Twilight series. Unfortunately, so far I don't see any growth in her writing or storytelling abilities.
      * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

PoPsie - Popular Music Through The Lens of William 'PoPsie' Randolph

Focusing mainly on the jazzers of the 40/50/60s, but some cool shots of early rockers too, like a stunning shot of Wilson Pickett, with an extremely dapper Jimi Hendrix backing him in '66.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Bump & Run by Mike Lupica

Sarcasticly, funny look at the NFL from the eyes of the son of an owner. Lots of behind the scenes narrative couched cleverly in a novel format. Names were changed to protect the innocent.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I just started Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

Comment

"A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole.

I am rereading this after many years. I can't recommend this novel too highly.
              IMO possibly the best American novel every written. And hilarious.

A must read.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Leaving Home by Anita Brookner

I'm in the mood for elegant prose and interior drama. Heaven help me.
                * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I just finished The Husband by Dean Koontz. Snore.

Tonight I'll start New Moon by Stephenie Meyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                    Tonight I'll start New Moon by Stephenie Meyer.
                    What did you think of Twilight?

The Anita Brookner book was absolutely dreadful. Elegant prose be damned!

I'm just starting The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. He's going to be at a nearby library next month talking about this book, so I'm excited about that.

I've also just begun Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro on audiobook.

Edit: Go here to hear Alexie's acceptance of the National Book Award last year.
                    Last edited by U'ilani; August 13, 2008, 07:36 AM.
                    - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                      What did you think of Twilight?
                      I loved it. I guess it's been awhile since I've read fantasy-young adult fiction.

Little things bug me, tho... like Bella. Her whole existence is an obsession over a vampire. She has no extracurricular activities, no interest in furthering her eduction, and no real friends. She could do charity work, travel, or work with her Dad at the police station instead of that stupid sports shop. But then, there'd be no story.

Oh, I hate to nitpick while I'm reading, tho. It spoils my enjoyment.

Comment

I just began reading William Gibson’s Pattern Recognition. I must say, I like this much better than Neuromancer, which didn’t impress me as much as it did other people.

One interesting spur in the narrative involves the mysterious appearances of video footage on the web (segments of a completed movie? a work-in-progress? who knows?) and the fascination and speculation these appearances incur world-wide, so much so that websites spring up to discuss their significance, including one forum the protagonist is addicted to, and is a regular poster. I think it really captures the world of forums. Kind of reminds me of Hawaii Threads when discussing the latest episode of Lost, or what to expect in the upcoming episode, or what it all means.

Comment

• Re: Leo...

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Also on the "soon to read" stack: Ashley Kahn's history of Impulse Records, "The House That TRANE Built."
                          Just finished it last weekend. Great collection of anecdotes and details about the life of this influential jazz record label, the artists who were recorded, and the people behind the scenes. As a jazz DJ in the late '70s, Impulse was a major part of my playlists, as well as my personal listening.

Taking a brief break from books now, again to catch up on three months' worth of National Geographic magazines. Not sure which book will jump into my hands next, but I may finally get to David McCullough's biography of John Adams.

Comment

Started reading Jodi Picoult's Plain Truth. My second Picoult book... don't really care for her writing style.

Comment

In the middle of Dirty Play by Sandra Brown. A friend recommended it... wow, pretty junk so far.

Comment

don't really care for her writing style.
                                ... wow, pretty junk so far.
                                How come you waste time on stuff you don't seem to like? Drop 'em, and go after the stuff that you will enjoy; reading time in this life is limited.

Comment

Working...
                                X