What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

I just started Netherland by Joseph O’Neill. Less than 50 pages into it, and so far, it has strong echoes of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, with cricket thrown in.

Comment

I'm reading the biography of the Vueve Cliquot and it is fascinating! Cheers to the yellow label!No wonder they bottle a special vintage labeled "Le Grande Dame"!

Comment

Pico Iyer's bio of the Dalai Lama, "The Open Road."

Comment

Jeffery Deaver, the Cold Moon.

Comment

OK, I'm going on holiday for 3 weeks, so I've packed War and Peace. We'll see...
            Speak to the heart and the man becomes instantly virtuous. Emerson

Comment

Has anyone read 'Name of the Wind'? It's been suggested to me as worthwhile...
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Betsey View Post
                OK, I'm going on holiday for 3 weeks, so I've packed War and Peace. We'll see...

Don't know where you are going for yer hols Betsey but that book will certainly get you off to sleep.
                Why not come to sunny Dingle in Liverpool ?

Comment

Valley of the Dolls. And it's really not as scandalous as I'd been led to believe. Although it did come out in 1966, so maybe it was at the time.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I am one of those people who love to read an entire series from the beginning to the end, and I have been reading The Chronicles of Narnia in between grad classes. I read part of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe as a child, but I really didn't care for the fantasy genre, so I didn't finish it until after I had read The Magician's Nephew this summer.

I finished the last book yesterday, so now I am looking for a new series to start reading. As a teacher, I like to read what the kids are reading, and I guess that means Twilight . Or maybe I will go back to some of the classics that I have only read portions of.

Most of my reading has been for school these past few years, so it is nice to read some fiction once in a while.

Comment

Currently Reading 3 books:
                      The Monkey Wrench Gang - Ed Abby
                      Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell
                      Canaries on the Rim - Chip Ward

I was also reading Cat's Cradle - Vonnegut, but my son took it back to the library before I finished it. Dang... I was almost through it too.

I don't normally do this much reading, but I've been on some short vacations and tend to pick up whatever is lying around if I can't find my other book.
                      ~~~~~~
                      Hanalei Bay Resort | Waipouli Beach Resort | Kuhio Shores

Comment

Originally posted by lilr3 View Post
                        I am one of those people who love to read an entire series from the beginning to the end, and I have been reading The Chronicles of Narnia in between grad classes. I read part of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe as a child, but I really didn't care for the fantasy genre, so I didn't finish it until after I had read The Magician's Nephew this summer.

I finished the last book yesterday, so now I am looking for a new series to start reading. As a teacher, I like to read what the kids are reading, and I guess that means Twilight . Or maybe I will go back to some of the classics that I have only read portions of.
                        Have you considered Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea series, or Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle In Time saga?

Comment

Today a friend gave me a big bag of paperback books - they are mostly mysteries. Haven't looked through the bag yet but since she likes the same kinds of books I do, I'm sure I will find lots to enjoy. Nothing better than re-cycling books. When I'm pau they will move on to my landlord's wife. First one I saw in the bag was by Tami Hoag titled "Ashes to Ashes".
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Pico Iyer's bio of the Dalai Lama, "The Open Road."
                            Hoping to finish this weekend, so I can start something else for a couple upcoming flights - planning to turn to an American classic, Harper Lee's "To Kill A Mockingbird." I realized not long ago, during a conversation about the book, that I had seen the film, but never read the novel. Time to rectify that.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Have you considered Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea series
                              I second this series.

My wife just finished reading the Twilight series and is *obsessed* with it (she's watched the movie three times now ) Any men out there read it? She says its a total sappy love story and I wouldn't like it for that reason.
                              What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

• The Road To Woodstock

This new book is written by the man behind it all, Michael Lang, without whom it never would have even been dreamed.
                                www.booksamillion.com/product/9780061576553
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X