What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you currently reading?

Have to force myself to read the owner's manual for this NextHell phone....the fumes from the manual give me an instant head ache. I think I should put the manual in the dumpster and let if off gas. *LOL*

Comment

One chapter into Haunani-Kay Trask's "From a Native Daughter".
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
        I am currently reading WICKED: The Life and Timess Of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire. It's pretty cool. It's about the Evil Witch of the West from Wizard Of Oz. After reading this book your perceptions on Wizard Of OZ will be slightly changed. I know there is a play called WICKED. I heard it's an awesome musical. I have the CD but the stage production is mostly in Chicago, New York, and I think Canada.
        I really enjoyed this book as well. Maguire's stories are often "different-perspective" variations on classic fairy tales (he's also done books on Cinderella and Snow White, among others.) He has just published a sequel to "Wicked," called "Son Of A Witch," about the character (Liir) who may or may not be the son of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West.
        The Broadway musical, based on "Wicked," is by Stephen Schwartz, who also composed "Godspell," "Pippin," and others, and has done lyrics for Disney films like "Pocahontas."

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
          ...and the thread takes a left turn into pilau territory...
          Kalamai. Just too hard to resist.

Comment

Right now, Vince Flynn's "Term Limits". Engrossing yarn about some former military commandos who decide the only way to get things right in Washington is to assassinate some politicians. Took out two senators, one congressman, and the Speaker of the House in the first week.

Comment

Gene Wolfe's On Blue's Waters.

Comment

I'm currently reading Nakazawa Shinichi's 「アースダイバー」 ("Earth Diver"). His 「モカシン靴のシンデレラ」 ("Cinderella Mocassin") was pretty good too.
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                  I'm currently reading Nakazawa Shinichi's ????????? ("Earth Diver"). His ????????????? ("Cinderella Mocassin") was pretty good too.
                  I meant to ask: are you reading this in Japanese or an English translation? How did you come across them?

Right now I am nose-deep in Economics for Dummies, and am mentally chewing on the chapters concerning free markets....afterwards, I am gonna dig off the shelves "The World is Flat" and give that one a reread.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                    I meant to ask: are you reading this in Japanese or an English translation? How did you come across them?

Right now I am nose-deep in Economics for Dummies, and am mentally chewing on the chapters concerning free markets....afterwards, I am gonna dig off the shelves "The World is Flat" and give that one a reread.
                    I'm reading Nakazawa's works in Japanese. When I'm not in an area that has a good Japanese bookstore, I'll usually order from Kinokuniya or Amazon Japan...
                    http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/
                    http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...716266-5152308
                    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Wish I could even speak Japanese! Just finished reading Light On Snow by Anita Shreve. Didn't seem like the novel "ended" but I've read her books before.
                      Please continue to "suggest" good adult reading. Mahalo.
                      Retired Senior Member

Comment

Oliver Statler's "Japanese Inn" - described by the publisher as "set at a Japanese inn along the road from Kyoto, this partly fictional account evokes life through four generations -- an impressionistic overview of traditional Japan solidly based on actual historic events." First published in the early 1960s, the author (who died in 2002) was a professor at UH.

Comment

riddle of the pacific
                          a reprinted tome from 1924 of one bloke's account of a few years living on Rapa Nui.

Comment

I'm reading an excellent book called "The Glass Castle: A Memoir" by Jeanette Walls.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/074...books&v=glance
                            * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                            - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
                              Started reading "What do you care what other people think?" by Richard P. Feynman.....since finding out who da guy was in the recent trivia game question. Feynman reminds me of my husband!
                              Oh, that's a good one! I have that, read it about 20 years ago. I need to read it again. The title, as you know, is from something his wife (Arlene?) said to him. The guy was brilliant, and adept at getting ideas across to people with little background in physics or other hard sciences. Great book. How cool to see it come up in HT!

No, wait, I just realized, I don't have that book. I have "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman!" ... but it's the same type of book. His experiences and teachings. Great stuff. Entertaining, fun and informative ... what more could you want?

I didn't know he was in a recent trivia question. I need to pay more attention to the trivia games!

Comment

I just finished rereading "The Da Vinci Code". Right now I am reading a book on magic!!!
                                backwoodlessons2

Comment

Working...
                                X