What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

Anyone read the book 'Ishmael' (1992) by D. Quinn? A friend says I must, so I'm on the library's waiting list. Apparently, there's a bit of a cult following. I searched the forum and found no references to it.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
      Oh, you'll dig it. Feynman was an amazingly complex human being. He's a prime reason that some of us have ever heard of Tuvan throat singing, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Oh, you'll dig it. Feynman was an amazingly complex human being. He's a prime reason that some of us have ever heard of Tuvan throat singing, you know.
        I'm looking forward to hearing about this Tuvan throat singing. I looked it up on Youtube and found this video. Interesting!
        * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
        - Anna Quindlen

Comment

U`ilani, I was just about to mention that you missed the Tuvan group Huun Huur Tu that just performed in Hawai`i ... then I remembered that you're also here in Seattle. They didn't come here on this tour, but they have before and (I hope) will do so again.

Comment

I read "The Other Boleyn Girl" last week. I'm reading it again as I felt I may have missed some details. I went on the net for details about Mary Boleyn - very interesting story and very interesting historical details. The book was fairly close to what I read on the internet. How it matches up to the movie I don't know. I don't plan on seeing the movie anyway until it comes out on DVD.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I finished "Children of Men". Whatever happened to the "Book Club"?

I'm reading Somerset's "The Painted Veil" now.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I haven't read Painted Veil but I did see the movie--and it was excellent.
                * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                  I haven't read Painted Veil but I did see the movie--and it was excellent.
                  I enjoyed it too. I think you'd also like the novel. Maughm delves into the human condition with compassion. The splashes of Eastern mysticism have always attracted me. "The Razor's Edge" is one of my all-time favorites.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                    "The Razor's Edge" is one of my all-time favorites.
                    Wonderful book - did you ever see the film version with Bill Murray? One of his first major non-comedic performances; I was prepared to dislike it, because I didn't think he'd be able to carry the role, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Wonderful book - did you ever see the film version with Bill Murray? One of his first major non-comedic performances; I was prepared to dislike it, because I didn't think he'd be able to carry the role, but I was pleasantly surprised.
                      Likewise. I doubted he(Murray) could pull it off. But as it turned out, I really liked what his comedic sensibility brought to the part.

Are you by chance a Herman Hesse fan as well?

Comment

The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town by John Grisham. I'm about 1/2 way through...an interesting story but it does jump around a bit. I love true-crime books.
                        So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                          Are you by chance a Herman Hesse fan as well?
                          Not a fan, per se. I read "Siddhartha" when I was about 12 or 13 - (I was already exploring Eastern mystical philosophy & culture back then - read the Upanishads & Tibetan Book of the Dead by then, too), but I've not tackled any other Hesse since. I should revisit that one, thank you.

Comment

I just started Michael Crichton's, Next. So far it seems interesting. It starts off with some suspense and thrills. I'm getting hooked in

Comment

Expecting this week to start "A Dirty Job" by Christopher Moore. I enjoyed his novel, "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal."

Comment

I'm almost finished with Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler

Comment

Working...
                                X