What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

I'm reading And Party Every Day: The Inside Story Of Casablanca Records by Larry Harris.

Comment

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino, translated from the Japanese by Alexander O. Smith.

This is a crime novel, a very clever and intriguing one so far. I like the way the characters and subsequent crime are rendered in the opening. The writing is simple, but filled with details. It’s almost like watching a painting being constructed stroke by stroke on a canvas, and you’re mesmerized by what’s developing.

Comment

Currently reading The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa, translated from the Spanish by Edith Grossman. Vargas Llosa is one of my favorite writers; he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature last year. This is a historical novel set in the Dominican Republic during the Trujillo era. I generally don’t like historical novels, but Vargas Llosa has a way of transcending history and creating a singular vision all his own without sacrificing historical accuracy.

Comment

he sounds like a very interesting author - i'm definitely going to check him out. thanks for the tip!
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I just finished reading A Thin Dark Line, by Tami Hoag. I'm about to start I Am America (And So Can You!), by Stephen Colbert.

Comment

I've been sailing through books recently - a biography of Leonard Bernstein, a collection of studio stories from legendary audio engineer Bruce Swedien, and Dr. Lisa Sanders's "Every Patient Tells A Story" (an outgrowth of her great columns for the New York Times Sunday Magazine, she's also Medical Adviser to the show "House M.D.")

Jury Duty starts tomorrow, and I'm taking Rebecca Skloot's "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" - Lacks was the unwitting "donor" of cells from a cancerous tumor; what are known today as HeLa cells have been used for medical research since her death in 1951.

Comment

just started "Water for Elephants" by Sarah Gruen.

Also just read "How to Kill a Guineahen" by Pia Isabella aka, our own Susie Misajon. Her stories are available from Kindle Shorts. She has more stories available too - just can't recall the titles right now.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

"A Yellow Raft In Blue Water" by Michael Dorris. This book is just amazing! You will want to read it twice! Its a story chronicled backward about 3 generations of American Indian women, daughter, mother, grandmother in one family, and its just remarkably well written!
                  ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    just started "Water for Elephants" by Sarah Gruen.
                    I loved that book. I hope the movie is as good!

Best of Craigslist is a blast.

Comment

I'm working on "Unfamiliar Fishes," by Sarah Vowell, a regular contributor to public radio and an author. She tackles Hawaii's annexation.

http://www.hawaiiweblog.com/2011/03/...amiliar-fishes

Comment

"Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          I'm working on "Unfamiliar Fishes," by Sarah Vowell, a regular contributor to public radio and an author. She tackles Hawaii's annexation.
                          Promise me you'll chime in here when you've finished. It may be a while before i get my hands on the copy we had at work.
                          Originally posted by mel View Post
                          "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand.
                          Are you getting ready for the movie release of part one?

Comment

Currently reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami, translated from the Japanese by Alfred Birnbaum. Murakami is one of my favorite writers. This is a re-read for me, having read this when it first came out in 1991. The second time around is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                              Currently reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami, translated from the Japanese by Alfred Birnbaum. Murakami is one of my favorite writers. This is a re-read for me, having read this when it first came out in 1991. The second time around is much better.
                              I've read a bunch of Murakami's stuff as well. My first one of his was Hard-Boiled. I didn't expect it would be the best re-read, but I'll have to try it now. What's another of your favorites of his?

Comment

Originally posted by Pohaku View Post
                                I didn't expect it would be the best re-read, but I'll have to try it now. What's another of your favorites of his?
                                Actually, I’ve read all of Murakami’s novels and short stories, many of them multiple times (I tend to re-read a lot). My favorites are The Wind-up Bird Chronicle and Kafka on the Shore. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World was actually among my least favorites, but when I first read it many years ago, there may have been other factors involved (it was a really bad year for me). I always wanted to re-read it to see if I had mis-read it the first time around, especially since it’s always ranked so highly by critics. I’m glad I re-read it, because it was much, much better the second time around, climbing up all the way to #4 on my list. What was I thinking back then?

I also wanted to re-read Hard-Boiled in preparation for Murakami’s new novel, 1Q84, which will be released on October 25, a much anticipated literary event. I’m about to pre-order it from Amazon, all 928 pages of it. From what I’ve read of the Japanese language version (and the translated Spanish version), it uses a similar “alternating universe” narrative style that Hard-Boiled used.

Just curious, why did you think Hard-Boiled was not a good candidate for a re-read?

Comment

Working...
                                X