What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

I'm currently on vacation and was able to download from my wonderful library 2 Adobe PDF ebooks:

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
    -and-
    The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry (go here to read the interesting background of how this book came to be and an excerpt from Chapter 1)
    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
    - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I need a break for some fiction, something I rarely read. Think I'll head off into Garrison Keillor territory, starting with his "WLT: A Radio Romance" from 1991.

Comment

I just want to report that I am really enjoying The Gargoyle by Davidson. His writing is very accessible and the story is intriguing.

Your Hawaii Public Library Sytem has ebooks too that you can download to read or listen to from your computer.
        * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
        - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Anyone else ever read 'The Continuum Concept' by Jean Liedloff? It's supposedly a classic in child development. I'm just starting into it.
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            I need a break for some fiction, something I rarely read. Think I'll head off into Garrison Keillor territory, starting with his "WLT: A Radio Romance" from 1991.
            Finished yesterday, then started on his "The Book Of Guys." I think I have about five more of his books ahead, if I read them in order of publication. If they all read this fast, I'll likely stay with him all the way through to the most recent, "Pontoon" (just out in paperback) and "Liberty" (just released in hardback).

Comment

I’m a third of the way into Real World by Natsuo Kirino, translated by Philip Gabriel. I’m liking it. As with Out and Grotesque, her two previous novels translated into English, it gives us a look at the darker side of modern Japanese society.

It mystifies me that Kirino’s books are classified as mystery novels. She’s really more of a psychological writer, more like Dostoevski than Sherlock Holmes. From the very beginning we know whodunit, so there’s no mystery there. She’s more interested in the backdrop of a crime, the internal secrets of the heart, the societal reality that breeds the environment that made the crime possible.

Comment

Just finished John Grisham's "Bleachers". About a great coach from a small football town who dies, and how the town and all the former players deal with it. Short, fun, read. Way off of Grisham's norm.

Gotta go to the bookstore. I'm out.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Just finished "Love the One You're With" by Emily Giffin. I wasn't too impressed. My father just send us all the crystal I inherited and included all of the Baby-Sitters Club books I had as a kid, so I've been re-reading some just for fun.

But I need to load up at Half Price Books before the Big Move to Oahu (6 weeks) so I'll have some good airplane/beach reading. Because I will be at the beach for the first two straight weeks. I'm so over this 100 degree weather here in Dallas.

Hey- is there a Half Price Books on the island? Or an equivlant?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                    Just finished "Love the One You're With" by Emily Giffin. I wasn't too impressed. My father just send us all the crystal I inherited and included all of the Baby-Sitters Club books I had as a kid, so I've been re-reading some just for fun.

But I need to load up at Half Price Books before the Big Move to Oahu (6 weeks) so I'll have some good airplane/beach reading. Because I will be at the beach for the first two straight weeks. I'm so over this 100 degree weather here in Dallas.

Hey- is there a Half Price Books on the island? Or an equivlant?
                    I'm not much into chick lit, but two audiobooks that were amazingly entertaining that I'd recommend (as audio or book form) are: The Undomestic Goddess and Can You Keep a Secret, both by Sophie Kinsella. She also wrote Confessions of a Shopaholic; but I'm such a penny pincher that I could not relate to the adventures the woman got into at all.

The last time we were back home in Hawaii (last year) they didn't have a Half Price Books yet.
                    - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                      The last time we were back home in Hawaii (last year) they didn't have a Half Price Books yet.
                      They don't have any Hawai`i locations listed on their website, either.

As of Friday, on to yet another Keillor volume, "Wobegon Boy." These are fast reads for me.

Comment

Just finished "The Good Carbohydrate Revolution" by Terry Shintani (bought brown rice last week , but cannot stand stevia or xylitol. Am trying agave nectar. I like honey better.)

Started "Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West" by Stephen Ambrose. So far it's an interesting read!

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                          Started "Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West" by Stephen Ambrose. So far it's an interesting read!
                          Possibly the best book I have ever read on this subject - enjoy.

Comment

I have always liked Stephen Ambrose. When I read the intro, he stated the reason he was so successful was that he was married to an English major. Now I know why I like him so much.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Our-Kind-Where.../dp/0060919906
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Anyone tried reading Neal Stephenson?
                                just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Working...
                                X