What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

Just finished, "The Invisible Century [Einstein, Freud, and the Search for Hidden Universes]". Amusing compare and contrast of two unrelated men, their ideas and their methods.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Just started "End of the Beginning," one of the "what if" historical novels of Harry Turtledove. This one starts with a premise that the Japanese succeeded in driving the Americans out of Hawai`i after attacking Pearl Harbor.

I've previously read his "Guns of the South," about the Confederacy winning the Civil War.

Comment

Iā€™m currently reading The Thousand by Kevin Guilfoile. I bought this after reading a glowing review by Michiko Kakutani of the New York Times. Iā€™m about fifty or so pages in, and so far it is an entertaining read, a page-turner of a thriller. However, I have a feeling that Iā€™ve already come across many of the bookā€™s elements before, namely familiar echoes from Stieg Larsson, Dan Brown, Scott Turow, and others. But still, it holds my attention. It definitely is not boring. And it is well written. So Iā€™ll continue.

Comment

"Invasion" by Dr. Robin Cook.

A page turner!
          Medical SciFi....
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

"War & Peace" on my new Kindle
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            ā€“ Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Getting in a lot of reading time this holiday weekend - finished the Turtledove book, then spent a day reading Kim 'Howard' Johnson's long-delayed diary about being an extra on the set of Monty Python's "Life of Brian," titled "Monty Python's Tunisian Holiday." Hoping today to start "Bloodsucking Fiends" by Christopher Moore.

Comment

still reading "War & Peace".....................
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                ā€“ Sydney J. Harris

Comment

• Vintage Oakland Raiders

BADASSES

Start at pg. 130 and hang on. Mr. Davis' wild ride, indeed.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

"Journey to the Edge of the World" - based on the television series by Scots comic Billy Connolly, about his excursion across the Canadian Arctic, investigating the famed Northwest Passage.

Comment

sigh..............still reading "War & Peace". I'm about 1/3 of the way through it.
                      ā€“ Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        sigh..............still reading "War & Peace". I'm about 1/3 of the way through it.
                        You still got a looooong way to go, Anapuni. Hang in there!

Comment

i'm enjoying it. i had forgotten what a great writer Tolstoy was! this is my 2nd time reading this book - i knew how long it was before i started.
                          ā€“ Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Currently reading The Black Book by Orhan Pamuk, translated from the Turkish by Maureen Freely. This is the first time Iā€™m reading Pamuk, a Turkish writer who was awarded the 2006 Nobel Prize in Literature. So far, for me, he has a very rich and intricate writing style, and presents a vivid description of Istanbul.

Comment

The Best American Short Stories series, various authors, editors, annual.

I'm on 2005. Some good, some mediocre, few excellent.

K%
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Yay - I finished War & Peace about 10 days ago!!!! now I'm onto "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. The book is much better than the movie.
                                ā€“ Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X