Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Default Re: What are you currently reading?

Still chewing on Don Quixote. 1,000 pages of 8-point type.
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

i need to read the secret again.
    "It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop.."

I just finished The Last Season by Eric Blehm. An excellent book, though not a happy tale. Highly recommended, particularly for those who enjoy complex people and the merciless aspects of nature. Men's Journal review.

The Shroud of the Thwacker, a comic murder mystery (sort of) by actor/humorist Chris Elliott.

Currently working my way through three novels:

The Divine Comedy: Dante
    Moby Dick: Melville
    The Princess Bride: Morgensternne
    Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

"Piece By Piece" - a semi-spiritual biographical collection of writings by musician Tori Amos, with music writer/critic Ann Powers.

I recently purchased a Sony eBook reader like the ones pictured below...

After plugging in a SD card with a couple of hundred books, I'm currently reading Haruki Murakami's "Kafka on the Shore", George Orwell's "Burmese Days", and Adam Smith's "An Inquiry into the Wealth of Nations." Thanks to websites like Project Gutenberg, ManyBooks, MobileRead, etc. and a couple of memory cards, I'll soon have about 10,000 titles on my eBook reader without having to to go to a library or bookstore.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
    I recently purchased a Sony eBook reader like the ones pictured below...

After plugging in a SD card with a couple of hundred books, I'm currently reading Haruki Murakami's "Kafka on the Shore", George Orwell's "Burmese Days", and Adam Smith's "An Inquiry into the Wealth of Nations." Thanks to websites like Project Gutenberg, ManyBooks, MobileRead, etc. and a couple of memory cards, I'll soon have about 10,000 titles on my eBook reader without having to to go to a library or bookstore.
    Could you tell us a bit about how you're liking the Sony eBook so far? Also, had you considered buying Amazon's Kindle instead? If so, why'd you choose the eBook over it? Thanks--I'm just trying to figure out if I need to beg Santa for it this Christmas.
    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
    - Anna Quindlen

I have had plucker on my palm os cellphones for a few years now. The only book I keep on it continuously is the skeptics annotated bible (a complete King James bible, but with full rips/references every way imaginable). I just can't get into reading books™ via the e-format.

Jonah, what do you like about your reader?

(btw, I just bought the NIV Archaeological Bible. Fascinating in its annotation. I wish these notes were in the Oxford Annotated Bible, but oh well).

pax

It's nice to be on vacation and enjoy the time to read a good book that has been in my family for years:

"OUTCAST Stallion of Hawaii" by Harlan Thompson is a book based on fact but a fictionalization of life on Kukuiau Ranch on the Big Island in the early 1950s. The story focuses on a mainland boy who moves to the ranch, learns the ins and outs of cowboy life and mends a broken horse. The story is based on and features some of the people in name who actually lived there back in the day.
    I'm still here. Are you?

I'm in the process of re-readng the Patrick O'Brien Aubrey/Maturin series (Master and Commander) for about the 4th time. I've tried to get a few people into the series but I think they're one of those love 'em or hate 'em things.
    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
    Socrates.

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs

It's funny but not disrespectful and an easy read.

"The Accidental President of Brazil" by Fernando Henrique Cardoso

Brazil is one of the countries that interests me most.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

zzzzzzzzzzz...............
    "PC Audio Editing With Adobe Audition 2.0" by Roger Derry
    ...............zzzzzzzzzzz

(Finished the Tori Amos book long ago; haven't had any real reading time since starting a new job - evenings have been busy with all kinds of activities --- and some sorta trivia contest thingie.)

"Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey" by Chuck Palahniuk

Excellent but not for the faint of heart. Palahniuk is probably my favorite contemporary novelist.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland. Very readable actually.
    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
    Socrates.

"The Barbary Wars," a history book that obviously started out as a thesis.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Blu's Hanging - Lois Yamanaka

Just picked up the fourth book of the Temeraire series titled Empire of Ivory, written by Naomi Novik.

Sure hope that Peter Jackson would make a movie out of this, since he once expressed interest in it.

Maybe TMI. Maybe cause you to decide I don't belong at HT:

The Princess Bride, 30th Anniversary Edition, by William Goldman.

Talking Re: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterbess View Post
    Maybe TMI. Maybe cause you to decide I don't belong at HT:

The Princess Bride, 30th Anniversary Edition, by William Goldman.
    Hmm. I'll wait until they make a film out of it.

Oh, wait! There is!

Question Re: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by zztype View Post
    Blu's Hanging - Lois Yamanaka
    And did you like it? I've read most of Yamanaka's stuff, seen several of her plays at Kumu Kahua. Darkly disturbing, very gritty, very much on target depicting local life/characters. I'll probably continue to read anything she produces, but she depresses me.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Hmm. I'll wait until they make a film out of it.

Oh, wait! There is!
    Hee! One of the few movies I've watched again and again, yet it never occurred to me to read the book until now. The two intros in this edition are worth the price of the book all on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterbess View Post
    And did you like it? I've read most of Yamanaka's stuff, seen several of her plays at Kumu Kahua. Darkly disturbing, very gritty, very much on target depicting local life/characters. I'll probably continue to read anything she produces, but she depresses me.
    Not pau reading Blu's Hanging yet. Reading it in little bits, in between reading a whole bunch of other stuff.

But I totally love it, but probably because it's so "real." Much of what she describes could have been written about my community, growing up. The same characters, the same sorts of events could have, sort of DID go on in my community.

It is painful to read, but I identify with it so much that I won't stop. Now I need to go get her other books.

I'd like to meet her one day and just talk story about small keed time. I bet i grew up "down the street" from her, in a sense.

Quote Originally Posted by zztype View Post
    The same characters, the same sorts of events could have, sort of DID go on in my community... I bet i grew up "down the street" from her, in a sense.
    That's why I enjoyed "The Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid," a memoir by one of my favorite authors, Bill Bryson. Though there is almost a decade between the era he writes about and the time I was a child, we grew up in the same part of Des Moines, Iowa, just a few blocks apart, and he's writing about the 'hood of my youth.

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast