What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

I'm trying to read President Clinton's autobiography on my Droid using a Kindall app. I'm half way through but feeling terribly bogged down and haven't read anything for a couple of weeks.
    ~~~~~~
    Hanalei Bay Resort | Waipouli Beach Resort | Kuhio Shores

Comment

"The Loss of A Pet" by Dr. Wallace Sife. I want to eventually start a pet support loss group on the Windward side. It's a vital part of life for many and I am going to take training later this year as well.

Comment

I am half-way into A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. Despite the odd title (at least to me), this is a pretty good novel. It just won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. I’ve read one other novel by Egan, The Keep, which had a glowing review in The New York Times, but I was a bit disappointed by it. This time around, though, I am much more intrigued by the results ... up to now.

That’s because I am reading this on a Kindle, and today I peeked into the future a little via the reviews on the Amazon.com site, and it seems there is an important section coming up where the author uses Powerpoint Presentations in her narration (at least on paper), and it seems this section comes out poorly on the Kindle, almost illegible. So, I’ll just have to wait and see how it all turns out.

By the way, I am not necessarily recommending this novel. Read the Amazon reviews and decide for yourself. This book seems to get very high marks and very low marks (i.e. either you like it or hate it). So far, I’m liking it very much.

Comment

'nother space book: "Chariots For Apollo: The NASA History of Manned Lunar Spacecraft to 1969" (originally published 1979, reissued 2009). It's also available online at http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4205/cover.html

Comment

I’m into Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelly (the free version on my Kindle). I usually don’t go out of my way to read “classics” (i.e., anything published prior to 1900), but I recently saw a documentary of Mary Shelly on one of the Discovery/History/Learning/”whatever” channels and was enticed. Besides, I’ve always wanted to read the original version.

It’s been a long time since I’ve read a true “classic” and I was struck by the language (very flowery and emotion-driven). I couldn’t help thinking: Is this the way they really talked (or thought) in those days?

Language aside, I’m really enjoying this novel. It’s much more thought-provoking than any of the multitude of Frankenstein movies I’ve ever seen. It’s much more about Victor Frankenstein, the creator, than the monster (erroneously identified as Frankenstein based on the multitude of movies).

Comment

The Year's Best Science Fiction, 27th Annual Collection.
              34 Sci-Fi short stories from 2010, collected by Gardner Dozois.
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I've been reading a lot of "heavy" books in recent months, so I'm going through a "light" spell - a couple books about Bruce Springsteen, then ones about the year 1969, the New York Times, and George Carlin.

Comment

I am now deep into 1Q84, the latest novel by Haruki Murakami, one of my absolute favorite writers. This is a huge 925-page novel, but the narrative moves quickly (at least it does for me), and I am thoroughly enmeshed in this world.

Comment

Just finished reading "The Help" by Katherine Sackett. it was very good but also very uncomfortable reading at times. Getting ready to start "War of The Worlds" by H.G. Wells.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Just finished The Hunger Games, now working on The People of the Deer while I wait in the library Q for the sequel to THG.
                      Last edited by salmoned; November 17, 2011, 06:00 PM.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Finishing off The Desperate People, a sequel to The People of the Deer. Also, just picked up Catching Fire and Mockingjay, sequels to The Hunger Games.

Comment

I am reading the novels of Ian Fleming.
                          As a writer he was restricted legally from telling history.
                          Within the realm of fiction some observations emerge with the mud washed off.
                          The later films are full of meaning,that is "Goldfinger"

and the film dealing with diamonds in Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                            just picked up Catching Fire and Mockingjay, sequels to The Hunger Games.

Just finished the Hunger Games Trilogy last week. My wife convinced me to try them out after seeing the movie trailer. And since they were quick reads I figured I'd give 'em a shot.

SPOILER [highlight to read]: The first 2 books were great! Definite page-turners that keep you riveted the whole time. But while I'd give books one and two A's...I have to give a D to the last one. Felt like Collins just ran out of ideas there at the end and it all just kinda fizzled and fell apart. A shame because it was such a great series and story. Seems like it lost the luster once the "Games" were over. The last 30 pages just felt so glossed over. All that build-up only to have most of the final resolution and payoff take place off screen (or off-page as it were).

Comment

My praise wouldn't reach quite that level, but it was a fun series with an easy-to-predict (and a bit of a let-down) finish.
                              [Can't compete with the Ender books tho]

It resonates with the 'income inequality' message that is currently in vogue, too.
                              Last edited by salmoned; December 14, 2011, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Recently picked up The Brothers Karamozov. It's a slow, dry slog through a huge tome but there are some very interesting thoughts. For example,"Sometimes it is very pleasant to feel offended". Uh-huh.
                                You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Working...
                                X