What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

My 10-year-old son and I are just starting Escaping the Giant Wave by Peg Kehret. He has very good reading skills, but he doesn't naturally love books like his sister does. It has to have a really compelling story to maintain his interest, and I think this one will be able to do that, especially since he recently had to deal with a bully at school. Anyway, here's an editorial review of it:

An earthquake, followed by a tsunami, hits the Oregon coast where 13-year-old Kyle is vacationing with his family. His parents are on a yacht, celebrating his realtor father's Salesman of the Year award, and Kyle must get his eight-year-old sister out of their burning hotel and up the hill, away from the beach. As they escape, he also saves the life of a bully who has tormented him since grade school. Later, after seeing Daren for the lying coward he is, Kyle stands up to him, ending the abusive behavior. Kyle's self-image is transformed through his experience with the tsunami and the bully. While this is a satisfying read for victims of bullying, it is unremarkable in plot and style. One character does stand out, Kyle's sister, BeeBee, a financial whiz who follows the stock market and names her teddy bear after Bill Gates. A bibliography of books, Web sites, a video, and pamphlets about tsunamis is included.
    Last edited by U'ilani; May 10, 2007, 07:50 PM.
    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
    - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I am emotionally struggling through The Bookseller of Kabul.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        I am emotionally struggling through The Bookseller of Kabul.
        I read A Hundred and One days (by the same author) a couple of weeks ago. I like her perspective on the invasion of Iraq mostly because she was there during that time and seen through the eyes of a woman journalist. I'm planning on reading the Bookseller ~ Hundred and One Days was extremely emotional too. Kite Runner was another difficult read about that part of the world. Such chaos such pain permeates the entire region.

"When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

what is really bothering me about that book is her ethnocentric perspective of which she seems both quite aware and unrepentant, and my own as well as I wrestle with being tolerant to the subject at hand and the author herself. The family themselves were quite pissed about her portrayal, and I am seeing why as I read the book. It hits close to home as I myself walk the line of being encultured in western perspective yet live with private priniciples and practices that go against that grain due to my Hawaiian culture.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
            what is really bothering me about that book is her ethnocentric perspective of which she seems both quite aware and unrepentant, and my own as well as I wrestle with being tolerant to the subject at hand and the author herself. The family themselves were quite pissed about her portrayal, and I am seeing why as I read the book. It hits close to home as I myself walk the line of being encultured in western perspective yet live with private priniciples and practices that go against that grain due to my Hawaiian culture.
            Interesting...I haven't read the Book Seller yet, so I can't address the issue of ethnocentricity. However, in One Hundred and One Days she does seem to take a bit of an Anti-American perspective due to the fact that one of her friend’s family members was killed when their house was bombed in the first 100 days of the invasion. Most people struggle with the conflict of cultures ~ the one they live in and the one they are born into. I struggle with the conflict being from a family of immigrants from the Azores Islands. Sorry for being off topic but I can imagine the struggle one must deal with when you compare Hawaiian Culture to the “western” perspective. They are SO different. The more I read and learn the more I realize just how different they really are. Personally I have always felt like a stranger in a strange land and I was born here in SF.
            "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

I really enjoyed reading the following books:

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Castle-M.../dp/0743247531

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

http://www.amazon.com/Water-Elephant.../dp/1565124995

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Gone-...e=UTF8&s=books

I'm still reading this one but I'm enjoying it so far:

Where Have All the Leaders Gone? by Lee Iacocca

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Have-All...e=UTF8&s=books

Comment

Brothers and Sisters - Bebe Moore Campbell
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I just finished 'Saving Erasmus' by Steven Cleaver.

I'm now reading 'Life's a Beach' by Claire Cook.

Comment

The Ash Garden by Dennis Bock.
                    From Publishers Weekly
                    No matter how far they travel from Hiroshima, the protagonists of Canadian author Bock's roomy, thoughtful novel are marked by the effects of the atomic bomb. For Emiko Amai, the imprint lingers on her face, in the form of burn scars from the heat of the bomb's detonation in 1945, when she was six. For Anton Böll, a refugee German scientist who helped build the bomb, the scars are emotional, though he tried to transform his feelings into images in a series of secret films shot among Hiroshima's ruined buildings. For Sophie, Anton's wife, herself a half-Jewish refugee from Austria, there is the pain of exile, a debilitating illness and the heavy shadow of her husband's guilt. Though Anton claims that the bomb was dropped "to save lives," he remains acutely aware of the human cost, both to its victims and himself: "I know the world requires a certain payment from us... for the freedoms we enjoy. We have all paid." When Emiko confronts Anton in 1995 at a lecture in New York, he surprises himself by agreeing to participate in a documentary she's filming. He invites Emiko to the quiet house he shares with Sophie in Ontario, and as Sophie declines toward death, Anton tells Emiko all the ways he has influenced her life since Hiroshima. In his attempt to obliquely represent the overwhelming horrors of Hiroshima's destruction, Bock has created a group of characters with closely guarded emotional lives. When they reveal themselves, it's in flashes as brilliant as the splitting of the atom.

Comment

Last week I read two books: Girl With A Pearl Earring... now I'm anxious to see the movie. Also Waiting, by Ha Jin.

I'm currently reading Memoirs of a Geisha.

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
                        I'm currently reading Memoirs of a Geisha.
                        I enjoyed that far more than I expected.

Comment

What You Owe Me - Bebe Moore Campbell
                          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Just started reading Blood Memory by Greg Iles. My first Greg Iles book.

Comment

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
                              http://www.amazon.com/Infidel-Ayaan-...ef=pd_bbs_sr_1

I'm enjoying it so far

Comment

I just finished On the Black Hill by Bruce Chatwin. It takes place in Wales at the turn of the last century.

I read it a long time ago it was a gift from my "Kane" when we were on a trip somewhere, but I can't rememebr where we were! It was somewhere special.

I enjoyed it just as much on the second read.

Now I am reading Roman Polanski's autobiography.

I am halfway through. I have had it in my library for many years and only just now decided I should read it. I am enjoying it very much.

Comment

Working...
                                X