What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

I'm in the process of re-readng the Patrick O'Brien Aubrey/Maturin series (Master and Commander) for about the 4th time. I've tried to get a few people into the series but I think they're one of those love 'em or hate 'em things.
    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
    Socrates.

Comment

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs

It's funny but not disrespectful and an easy read.

Comment

"The Accidental President of Brazil" by Fernando Henrique Cardoso

Brazil is one of the countries that interests me most.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

zzzzzzzzzzz...............
          "PC Audio Editing With Adobe Audition 2.0" by Roger Derry
          ...............zzzzzzzzzzz

(Finished the Tori Amos book long ago; haven't had any real reading time since starting a new job - evenings have been busy with all kinds of activities --- and some sorta trivia contest thingie.)

Comment

"Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey" by Chuck Palahniuk

Excellent but not for the faint of heart. Palahniuk is probably my favorite contemporary novelist.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland. Very readable actually.
              "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
              Socrates.

Comment

"The Barbary Wars," a history book that obviously started out as a thesis.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Blu's Hanging - Lois Yamanaka
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Just picked up the fourth book of the Temeraire series titled Empire of Ivory, written by Naomi Novik.

Sure hope that Peter Jackson would make a movie out of this, since he once expressed interest in it.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Maybe TMI. Maybe cause you to decide I don't belong at HT:

The Princess Bride, 30th Anniversary Edition, by William Goldman.
                      Bloggin my way to the big time

http://skeetsstuff.skeeterbess.com/

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterbess View Post
                        Maybe TMI. Maybe cause you to decide I don't belong at HT:

The Princess Bride, 30th Anniversary Edition, by William Goldman.
                        Hmm. I'll wait until they make a film out of it.

Oh, wait! There is!
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                          Blu's Hanging - Lois Yamanaka
                          And did you like it? I've read most of Yamanaka's stuff, seen several of her plays at Kumu Kahua. Darkly disturbing, very gritty, very much on target depicting local life/characters. I'll probably continue to read anything she produces, but she depresses me.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            Hmm. I'll wait until they make a film out of it.

Oh, wait! There is!
                            Hee! One of the few movies I've watched again and again, yet it never occurred to me to read the book until now. The two intros in this edition are worth the price of the book all on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterbess View Post
                              And did you like it? I've read most of Yamanaka's stuff, seen several of her plays at Kumu Kahua. Darkly disturbing, very gritty, very much on target depicting local life/characters. I'll probably continue to read anything she produces, but she depresses me.
                              Not pau reading Blu's Hanging yet. Reading it in little bits, in between reading a whole bunch of other stuff.

But I totally love it, but probably because it's so "real." Much of what she describes could have been written about my community, growing up. The same characters, the same sorts of events could have, sort of DID go on in my community.

It is painful to read, but I identify with it so much that I won't stop. Now I need to go get her other books.

I'd like to meet her one day and just talk story about small keed time. I bet i grew up "down the street" from her, in a sense.
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                                The same characters, the same sorts of events could have, sort of DID go on in my community... I bet i grew up "down the street" from her, in a sense.
                                That's why I enjoyed "The Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid," a memoir by one of my favorite authors, Bill Bryson. Though there is almost a decade between the era he writes about and the time I was a child, we grew up in the same part of Des Moines, Iowa, just a few blocks apart, and he's writing about the 'hood of my youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X