What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

Just finished "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Kiedis. Mostly about addiction, not as much about the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. It wasn't a bad book...but I can't decide if I like the guy or not.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

A relatively thin biography of English classical composer Ralph Vaughan Williams - one of my favorites.

Comment

just started Obama's book, "Dreams from My Father". He's a good writer so far but he's also writing about Honolulu so it all sounds familiar right now - I'm only on page #72 so I'll have to wait and see what I think.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
          Just finished "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Kiedis. Mostly about addiction, not as much about the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. It wasn't a bad book...but I can't decide if I like the guy or not.
          Well, he IS cute....

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            just started Obama's book, "Dreams from My Father". He's a good writer so far but he's also writing about Honolulu so it all sounds familiar right now - I'm only on page #72 so I'll have to wait and see what I think.
            If you like reading the book, I highly recommend the audiobook. The author reads, and he does a fine job there.

Comment

i've tried audiobooks but find i much prefer the printed page instead. i like having an actual book where i can go back & re-read paragraphs or pages when i want to. i also find it hard to really absorb the book just by listening to it. it might be the fact that i'm older and just like the feel of a book in my hands.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

• Re: Leo...

From 8/18/08:
                Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                ... I may finally get to David McCullough's biography of John Adams.
                Finally began reading it today; got jury duty (again!) next week, so I wanted something thick to read while I'm there.

Comment

• Moku o Lo'e -

- A History Of Coconut Island.
                  A Bishop Museum Press release.

This is actually a pretty amazing read, with plenty of interesting and rare pix from way back to present.

My favorite part so far, just perusing still, is a tale of the old giant resident octopus and what happens when two locals go after it...

The Edwin Pauley Foundation helped put it together and thus has quite a bit of Ed/the Pauley family, and Ed's 'friends' in it.

...here on Gilligan's Island...
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

"The Wrong Stuff" by Stern, Kammer, Calbreah, and Condon, a biography of Randy "Duke" Cunningham, Vietnam War fighter ace turned corrupt congressman from suburban San Diego County--"the most corrupt congressman ever caught". Its a fairly compete history, it gives credit where due but pulls no punches on the man's character flaws, his dishonesty, his greed, his arrogance. The most important part of the book is that it shows how inherently corrupt our legislative process is, how corruptable the entire political process is. The people should definitely not tolerate conditions that allow people like Cunningham to prosper and corrupt everything they touch, the people should not be shallow enough to vote on mere party labels or on slogans or star power. To do so only empowers the crooks to steal from them. Democracy must reform itself, the people need to start doing some homework.

Comment

Just finished NP by Banana Yoshimoto (love that name!), translated from the Japanese by Ann Sherif. It’s not nearly as good as her first book, Kitchen, but I still found it interesting, almost hauntingly.

I’m now 60 pages into Pandora in the Congo by Albert Sánchez Piñol, translated from the Catalan by Mara Faye Lethem. I think this is the first novel I’ve ever read that was originally written in Catalan. So far, this book is a hoot! I think I'm going to like it very much.

Comment

I need to re-read Kitchen, I love that book. I agree, her subsequent books are all right but not as good as Kitchen.

Comment

"The Weather of the Pacific Northwest" by University of Washington meteorology professor (and local weather guru) Cliff Mass, a surprisingly popular book around here late last year, especially with the rare several-weeks-worth of snowstorms during the holiday season. The guy writes a fascinating blog, too.

Comment

I just started Amulet by Roberto Bolaño, translated from the Spanish by Chris Andrews. Bolaño has quickly become one of my favorite writers, perhaps my favorite of all time. The narrator of this book also appears in The Savage Detectives.

Comment

oh dear - i guess i'm in the "low brow" category again. i just started "Double Cross" by James Patterson. his books are always interesting plot-wise, and i like his character dr. alex cross.
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                                oh dear - i guess i'm in the "low brow" category again. i just started "Double Cross" by James Patterson. his books are always interesting plot-wise, and i like his character dr. alex cross.
                                Me too! I just finished "Love Kills" by Edna Buchanan. I LOVE her books!
                                Her primary character Britt Montero is genius! Those books always leave
                                me wanting more pages to get through! They are complete page turners
                                with twists and turns every step of the way!

Comment

Working...
                                X