What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you currently reading?

A great book called "The Collapse of the Common Good" by Phillip Howard. It's a book about how America's Lawsuits are robbing all Americans of their freedom. Great book.
    Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

I just finished rereading The Da Vinci Code (great book) and now I am reading a book on magic!!!
      backwoodlessons2

Comment

Originally posted by backwoodlessons2
        I just finished rereading The Da Vinci Code (great book) and now I am reading a book on magic!!!
        And listening to the CSNY album "Deja Vu" at the same time, perhaps?

Comment

"We Wish To Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families - Stories From Rwanda" by Philip Gourevitch.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to read more. I used to be a ravenous reader, burning through a thick paperback in about three days, or one if it's really good. Then I got busy, and only read on long flights (usually finishing an airport-bought book per leg). Then... well, I can't remember the last time I committed to a book, and at best, pick up something my wife leaves around the house out of idle curiosity.

Well, I'm hoping to make the time next year. But I have no idea where to begin. So, of course, I first turn to the web, and book-centric social networks, and specifically, to a site that a longtime e-aquaintence of mine is always talking about. To wit:
            Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
            I'm not reading, I'm cataloging! I found a nifty site called Library Thing which allows you to enter your books by author, title, or ISBN and it will automatically pull up the rest of the LC data and store it in a catalog online. You can find other folks with the same books, search other libraries, and basically spend a lot of time fiddling with books. What's cooler than that?
            So I've just started my account (I think I'll get a CueCat to speed cataloging), and set up a Hawaii-centric group. If you're a LibraryThing user, or think you might like to be one, let's link up!

Meanwhile, I again would also like to know, What are you currently reading?

Comment

"Kindred" by Octavia Butler
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

"Guru: My Days With Del Close" by Jeff Griggs. Close is widely regarded as the father of improv comedy. Griggs is my little sister's poker buddy and improv colleague in Chicago.
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

I'm doing my annual read-through of The Lord of the Rings trilogy; a tradition which began nearly 30 years ago. I always learn something new or gain a fresh insight. It is one of the best parts of my Christmas/New Year's season and I look forward to it with much anticipation.

Comment

I'm currently reading "Broken Trust"...OMG!!!!!!!!! Whop Jaws! If every Hawaiian read this book, whew...could be revolution time! The self serving outlined is so amazing in it's arrogance and scope...almost leaves me speechless.

On deck I have "The Pursuit of Happyness" by Chris Gardner and "Nature Girl" by Carl Hiassen.

Comment

"The Children of Men" by PD James is in my purse, and "Housekeeping" by Marilynne Robinson is in my den. Also, for Christmas I got "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving--I'm most excited to read that one.
                      * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

as a reader who doesn't make it a huge priority to make time to read, it'd be really helpful if folks post a little synopsis of the book they are reading to give folks an idea if the book is worth the time to read.

i'll be on a plane for a few hours next month and that is about the only chance i get to read - so a few ideas on what to pick up for the ride would be really helpful.

Comment

Rereading "Hotel Honolulu" by Paul Theroux.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Chomping through Anne Rice's Christ the Lord. So far it is a suprising and worthwhile read.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
                              as a reader who doesn't make it a huge priority to make time to read, it'd be really helpful if folks post a little synopsis of the book they are reading to give folks an idea if the book is worth the time to read.
                              Seconding this request, or at least suggesting folks post links. I'm interested both in what you're reading, as well as why, and how you liked it. I guess I could infer folks wouldn't post something they didn't want to read or recommend, but getting a personal take definitely helps me form an idea of what I might like or expect.

For 808shooter, here are the Amazon pages for the books most recently mentioned:

Meanwhile, I'm having a blast at LibraryThing. I've only punched in a couple dozen titles -- mostly sci-fi series -- that I know I've read and liked, and already I can hit the "Recommendations" link to see what other people who list the same titles and authors like. Ain't technology grand?

Comment

Heh heh. I finally convinced somebody to really look at Library Thing.

For serious reading I have four monstrously-large books which I posted about here with links to their Amazon pages. Once I'm done with those (sometime in February, no doubt!) I'll see how many of Mom's Christmas books she's done with.

For lighter fare I just found J.D. Robb's "in Death" series...police procedural crime novels set in 2050s New York. Robb is a no-longer-concealed pseudonym for Nora Roberts, probably the best-selling romance author in the English-speaking world; these books are pretty good cop stories. There's definitely romance (although maybe it's more sex than romance--I was a little surprised at the graphic scenes), but the books focus on the crime and detection aspects.
                                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                                X