What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you currently reading?

"Talk To The Hand" by Lynne Truss, author of "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" - a fussy British writer's semi-humorous take on manners and (as she puts it) "the utter bloody rudeness" of the world today.

Comment

i just picked up "why do men sleep after sex?" by mark leyner and billy goldberg, MD. WDMSAS is the sequel to "why do men have nipples." among the topics explained are:

1. whether peeing in the shower cures ringworm (it helps, but doesn't cure)
      2. do dogs have belly buttons (yes)
      3. can riding your bike lead to ED (can)
      4. does that black stuff that atheletes smear under their eyes really reduce glare(yes)
      5. why do men sleep after sex (complicated answer).

i love this book bcs it's not only educational (as the cover says, the book covers "questions you'd only ask a doctor after your third whiskey sour") but it's written in a humourous, engaging style that makes it hard to put down and likely that you'll LOL.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Just finished "Prometheus Rising" by Robert Anton Wilson. It's basically a discussion of human consciousness and potential, starting from Tim Leary's "brain circuits" and going through all the popular psychologists, quantum and normal physics, qabbala, Aleister Crowley, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, and pretty much everything in between. Fun read

Comment

Just finished "Between a Rock & a Hard Place" by Aron Ralston. He got his arm stuck under a boulder, then cut it off to escape 6 days later.

The book was collection of careless and unsafe hiking and climbing practices by an overzealous egomaniac with a "fearless" complex. He got out of no less than 4 scrapes in his life (avalanche, blizzard, etc) prior to rolling a boulder onto his hand.

A must read for those who aspire to be better climbers. Knowing what NOT to do is nearly as important as knowing what is appropriate.

Currently reading "Culture Warrior" by the great Bill O'Reilly.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
            Heh heh. I finally convinced somebody to really look at Library Thing.
            You ain't kidding. My wife's gonna join, too (as she's working her way through several books her mother sent her). And scrivener jumped in with both feet! His library -- which is no doubt only just a couple of days' of entry -- is already making me feel pretty inadequate.

How could I have taken so long to sign up? Social networking plus books? It's brilliant!

Ah, Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Truss. I bought that a couple of years ago. I think it got sold at a garage sale before I even cracked it open once.

And the Why Do Men title by Goldberg that erincyn mentions? Saw that at Costco a little while ago, and very nearly picked it up! Sounds interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              Ah, Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Truss. I bought that a couple of years ago. I think it got sold at a garage sale before I even cracked it open once.
              Awww, Ryan --- Douglas Adams woulda laughed heartily if he had read it.

Comment

I just finished re-reading The Pigeon by Patrick Suskind, a short, Kafkaesque novel (reminds me of Melville’s Bartleby the Scrivener). Suskind is a German writer/screen writer, and is the acclaimed author of Perfume, which is now a movie (mixed reviews, currently showing on the mainland, but not in Honolulu). The Pigeon is not as well-known; in fact I believe it’s been out of print for a long time. I picked it up many years ago at a Friends of the Library book sale, after having tried in vain to find a copy (Amazon.com had yet to be born). I re-read the book specifically for a scene describing a simple meal. All in all, a delicious New Year’s day read.

Next, I’ll be starting on Stephen King’s Lisey’s Story. No need for introductions, here.

Comment

CROSS by James Patterson .The latest novel featuring Alex Cross(Along Came A Spider, Kiss the Girls). If you love the movies with Morgan Freeman, Patterson's books will blow you away.Fast moving and never dull.
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Hoping to start Sam Harris' "Letter to a Christian Nation" this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Hoping to start Sam Harris' "Letter to a Christian Nation" this week.
                      The former "Star Search" champion Sam Harris?

I'm hoping to start "The Woman Warrior" by Maxine Hong Kingston this weekend, if USPS delivers ontime. Damn them for being closed on Tuesday.
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I just finished "A Drinking Life," a poignant memoir by Peter Hamill. It started slow, and lingered a little too long in his childhood. But his prose got comfortable once he started writing about becoming an adult, and I think he did a fine job. It was a great read for me, as he grew up in the same era as my father. I feel like it helped me understand the world my father grew up in and the second generation Irish world my mother grew up in. Recommended.
                        Don't be mean,
                        try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                          The former "Star Search" champion Sam Harris?
                          HA! Not quite --- this Sam Harris, not that one.

Comment

I was in Jelly's looking for something else and picked up Blue Smoke by Nora Roberts on a whim and a favorable review I'd seen somewhere. I had a preconceived notion about Roberts and her romance novels, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

It's a darned good crime story about an arson cop and fires which are aimed directly at her friends and family. Sure, there's romance, but it advances the plot and is amusing in its own right. I was a little surprised that the romance wasn't at all the shy blushes and up-from-under-eyelashes looks; it was pretty damned steamy.
                            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Read a few books on a planeride this pastweekend.

Moneyball. Interesting look into modernday professional baseball. On a deeper level, the book makes you think about market inefficiencies that are waiting to be exploited. I enjoyed this book a heck of a lot more than expected.

Question Behind the Question. A book about personal responsibility. Nice light reading with some good overall personal development suggestions.

Comment

I'm a reading machine and I've been plowing through steadily since before Christmas...

Eragon -- Pretty good book, though it borrows quite heavily from basically every other sci-fi/fantasy book. Much, much better than the movie.

One, Illusions, Running From Fear, by Richard Bach -- These are all strange new-age-ish books about philosophy on life that my wife had laying around, and she keeps referencing them so I decided to read them. Pretty interesting ideas.

Howl's Moving Castle by Diane Wynne Jones --"Young adult fantasy" -- I watched the anime by Miyazaki and had to read the book it was based on. The book is quite different and, I hate to say it, makes a great deal more sense than the anime. Ghibli might ought to stick to doing original stories...

Dark Lord of Derkholm, also by D.W.J. -- This one I'm just gonna link because they have a good synopsis. It's a good read. DWJ is a little like J.K. Rowling in her style and subject matter, but she's a little heavier on the dry humor.

Comment

Working...
                                X