What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you currently reading?

Airplane fodder later this week: "The Life & Times of The Thunderbolt Kid," Bill Bryson's memoir of growing up in 1950's Iowa (with his superhero persona.) Bryson is an excellent writer/humorist, whose books have included several travelogues (on the Appalachian Trail, bicycling around Australia, a cross-U.S. auto trip, life in England) as well as works on the history and usage of the English language.

Comment

Men, Ships, and the Sea - Published by Nat Geo Soc. Written mostly by Allen Villiers among others. Historical Narrative on man's discovery, conquest, and use of the sea, from earliest prehistoric times, to nuclear powered everything.

Excellent history book.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Rereading Felidae by Akif Pirincci. I don't know how to describe or recommend the book to an adult without cracking up. It's not the book, but the subject.

Comment

Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell, the founding pastor of Mars Hill. I'm only less than halfway through the book but so far, i enjoy it. By the cover and print style, it's mean for Gen X or Y readers who are contemplative about their relationship with God and what it means to be Christian.

One of the things I like is Bell's idea that faith is like a trampoline: you jump on it, it inspires you to jump higher, and you invite people to jump, too. Bell believes that a lot of people practice faith as if it were a brick wall, as in: if you don't believe that God literally created the universe in six days and rested on the seventh, then you don't really believe in God. That kind of faith is such that if one brick falters, then the whole faith crumbles. That kind of faith is exclusionary, and nothing like the trampoline.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Love the trampoline analogy. Just might have to get that book. Right now I'm 2 pages into Barack Obama's "Dreams from my Father". At the rate I have time to read I just might finish it by the 2008 elections!

Comment

Finally started "Children of Men" by PD James. I've read her books before - she is an excellent writer of very intelligent murder mysteries. This is a new (to me) genre for her & I'm looking forward to the entire book. I've decided to read the book first, then rent the movie when it comes out on DVD.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Eragon. I borrowed it from my neighbor in the 4th grade. I also borrowed Harry Potter (6th book) the other year from my neighbor in the 5th grade.

I just finished "next" by Michael Crichton. Interesting but seems incomplete. A lot of characters to keep track of.

Y-The Last Man TPB 8 by Brian Vaughn. It's good stuff. Preceeds the Children of Men movie ... I'm not sure about the book. Two more TPBs and the series will be finished. I can see becoming an HBO movie.
                just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

I am currently reading these books:
                  • 'Olelo 'Oiwi by Hokulani Cleeland
                  • The Polynesian Family System in Ka'u, Hawai'i by E.S. Craighill Handy and Mary Kawena Puku'i
                  Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Here's my list:
                    1. The River Between Us by Richard Peck
                    2. Twelve Angry Men (not sure of the author; anyone know?)
                    When I have time to look at it:
                    3. Learn Hawaiian at Home by Kahikahealani Wight
                    And I want to read more of:
                    4. A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 13: The End by Lemony Snicket
                    I love that series.
                    'Alika

Comment

• Re: What are you currently reading?

I hated Housekeeping by Marilyn Robinson; stopped reading that one early on--life's too short. Just finished Saving Faith by David Baldacci; fast read, nothing great though.

I'm starting The Peacegiver: How Christ Offers to Heal Hearts and Homes by James Ferrell. I haven't finished Replay, though today would have been a fitting day to complete it, being it's Groundhog Day and all. I've promised myself that right after I pick up a book that's been on hold and is waiting for me at the library, I'm not going to borrow anymore books until I get all of my current loaners read.
                      * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Red Sun: The Invasion of Hawaii After Pearl Harbor by Richard Ziegler and Patrick M. Patterson. It's an fictional, alternate history about what might have happened if the Japanese had taken Hawaii in the attack at Pearl Harbor.

Comment

I just got done reading a book called Moloka'i. Funny I found it in Orange County, CA in Target. It was the only one also. Its about the history of leporsy. About a girl that was sent to Moloka'i because she has leporsy. It was a very ineresting book. Ever since then I want to read another book that contains history of Samoa in story form, which is where my mom is from. We'll see. Barnes & Noble has a wide selection so I cant wait to get home to look! Im a book worm.

Comment

I am currently reading a book called "Teenage Roadhogs" by Michael Schein because I am learning how to drive. It is interesting.
                            Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by achow View Post
                              [*]The Polynesian Family System in Ka'u, Hawai'i by E.S. Craighill Handy and Mary Kawena Puku'i
                              That's the one I'm reading. (hefty price, too) Love history - especially when it's about an area I can visit.

Comment

I'm currently reading, "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz. I tink I have reread the first 3 chapters a few times with all da keiki interruptions and busy stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X