What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

I finished reading Children of Men and am now reading The Sweet Potato Queens' 1st Big-Ass Novel (Stuff we didn't actually do, but could have, and may yet) by Jill Conner Browne. It's a funny, light read.

Comment

I was searching for How I Learned to Cook: Culinary Educations from the World's Greatest Chefs on the library website. They don't have it yet, but they did have How I Learned to Cook: And Other Writings on Complex Mother-Daughter Relationships. So I borrowed and am reading the second one. The Mother-Daughter Relationships one is a series of short stories that have all been well written so far but all about sad, dysfunctional families so I may not read all of them or at least not all of them at once.

Comment

I am reading, with no embarrassment whatsoever, "Cell" by Stephen King.

I have also read "Anna Karenina."

So there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake's Ohana View Post
          I'm currently reading, "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz. I tink I have reread the first 3 chapters a few times with all da keiki interruptions and busy stuff.

Though I have tried numerous times I just cannot get into novels by Dean Koontz. He loses me, every time. I simply don't CARE about his characters.

Comment

let's see..i've got "frangipani" by celestine vaite in my purse..for breaks at work, long wait in traffic,etc.. "molokai" publ. 1963 by the bed and "love & war" john jakes for long bubble baths!! i've got books out the ying yang..my neighbor & mom stop by often to rummage thru my "library"..nothing is better than a good book!!

Comment

This morning on NPR they talked about how students who are taught that their intelligence is continually developing had higher math scores than those who believed that it was fixed--i.e., had a "growth mindset" rather than a "fixed mindset". They interviewed Carol Dweck, the author of Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, who has written about this study and offers ways for parents and teachers to teach this type of mindset to children.

I've put the book on hold at my library. I hope to get it in a couple of months.
              * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

"Darker Than the Deepest Sea" by Trevor Dann - a biography of musician Nick Drake.

Comment

Mistral's Kiss by Laurell K. Hamilton. Not my favorite of the Merry Gentry series.

Comment

i am forced by my bus mgmt prof to suffer through the banal, overwrought absoeffing horror of a read that is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

*grumbles not so softly about how poor a writer is if s/he has to take 50 odd pages of the hero's "speech" to summarize a theory that his/her reader has already been bludgeoned to boredom with over the previous 900 odd pages*

i'd much rather be participating in the HT book circle.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Mango Days by Patty Smith. Smith was a Punahou senior when she got cancer. The book is a compilation of letters and poems she wrote and drawings she made until she died.

Comment

"In the Face of Disaster" - a compilation of articles from the Canadian news-magazine Maclean's, on disasters of the past century in Canada.

Comment

Just finished the biography of Bill Parcells. What a great coach.

Now moving on to one of the classics - Old Goriot by Honore de Balzac
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Currently enjoying the audiobook, Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama by Daniel Goleman. Very interesting stuff. I stumbled upon this book as I've developed an interest in neuroplasticity. I'm on a long waiting list at the library for the book, Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain by Sharon Begley.

Half way into Mary, Martha, and Me by Camille Fronk Olson. She gives the story from Luke 10 a fresh rendering, explaining that it wasn't wrong that Martha labored while Mary listened, as both were serving Christ; what was wrong was Martha judging Mary.

Just about finished The Peacegiver by James Ferrell. I recommend it to those struggling to forgive someone, unable to be at peace. Ferrell gives us a parable of a marriage in collapse, and wraps it up in the biblical, obscure story of Abigail, Nabal, and David found in first Samuel, and the story of Jonah and the city of Nineveh. The result is no enigma (sorry, couldn't resist) but rather an excellent use of scripture to provide clear answers for modern-day problems.
                            * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                            - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                              Just about finished The Peacegiver by James Ferrell. I recommend it to those struggling to forgive someone, unable to be at peace. Ferrell gives us a parable of a marriage in collapse, and wraps it up in the biblical, obscure story of Abigail, Nabal, and David found in first Samuel, and the story of Jonah and the city of Nineveh. The result is no enigma (sorry, couldn't resist) but rather an excellent use of scripture to provide clear answers for modern-day problems.
                              thank you for this!! That story is my most favorite in the bible; in just about every study/topical bible I peruse, I go looking at ISam25 to see what the footnotes say about it, and often that has been the deciding factor on whether or not to buy it (2nd fave is Luke 16: the parable of the manager). I can go on and on about what I get from studying that parable, but I will just say this: Abigail is the first woman in the bible specifically noted for being intelligent.

pax

Comment

Naked by David Sedaris. A memoir of Sedaris' family and childhood that is both funny and sad.

Comment

Working...
                                X