What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

Shark Dialogs...LOVE this author!!!!! Just finished Song of Exile can't wait to start House of Many Gods ~ by Kiana Davenport. She reminds me of the Latin American Authors – Isabel Allende or Garcia Marquez ~ kind of vacillates between reality and fantasy.
    "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

I just started The Audacity of Hope. It's a much more polished Obama than Dreams From My Father and has some interesting information on the inner workings of the Senate (even just in the first few pages of the book).

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        thank you for this!! That story is my most favorite in the bible; in just about every study/topical bible I peruse, I go looking at ISam25 to see what the footnotes say about it, and often that has been the deciding factor on whether or not to buy it (2nd fave is Luke 16: the parable of the manager). I can go on and on about what I get from studying that parable, but I will just say this: Abigail is the first woman in the bible specifically noted for being intelligent.
        If you get the chance to read this, let me know what you think. About a quarter way into the book, I put it down and didn't intend to finish it. I hated the whole mentoring thing that the grandfather does with the grandson (the latter being the one with the rocky marriage). But my friends urged me on, fortunately.

I'm in a book club through my church, consequently I'm reading a lot more spiritual stuff than usual. Our next book will be Believing Christ by Stephen Robinson. I also just bought through Ebay When People Are Big and God is Small by E. Welch. It's about overcoming peer pressure and the fear of man--hoping to get my teenage daughter to read it with me. I've also just returned to the book Replay by Ken Grimwood. I'm really enjoying it. And because reading one book is never enough, I'll be starting The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King tomorrow. My friend totally loved it, and it has great reviews on Amazon, so I'm hopeful about this one.
        * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
        - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I finished Replay by Grimwood and would highly recommend it to all the bibliophiles out there, no matter what genre you prefer (this one falls under sci-fi/fantasy, but it's just a very good story that is hard to put down). It's a bit like Groundhog's Day, only without the humor, and it's much more serious and deep. It's got some R-rated aspects to it, and so I wouldn't recommend it for teens.
          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

The Fire Next Time - James Baldwin
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

"Kind of Blue" - on the making of the classic Miles Davis album - by Ashley Kahn.

Comment

The Innocent Man by John Grisham and Skeleton Coast by Clive Cussler.

Comment

The Dante Club. Initially, to make things a bit more interesting, I was also reading the Divine Comedy trying to see the similarities to certain events as well as locate the references made in The Dante Club. But I found it difficult to juggle two books wherever I wanted to read.

Comment

Splintered Icon, Bill Napier. Next in line are 2 Clive Cussler books I found at The Book Rack, then The Scout, a sequel to Brules, a pretty graphic western by Harry Combs. Lots of blood and violence.

Comment

The Dancing Wu Li masters, Gary Zukav.
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

The Red Tent by Anita Diamont

http://www.amazon.ca/Red-Tent-Novel-...ews/1559277092

Comment

I'm currently reading the book "MOLOKA'I" Written by Alan Brennert... I'm purposely reading it slow because.. I'm SO ENGULFED by it... EXCELLENT book.

It's about Hawai'i more than a century ago and a little 7 year old girl by the name of Rachel Kalama. Her and her family live on O'ahu- She dreams about traveling and seeing other countries as her dad does. But then one day bad news hits... and Rachel has been diagnosed with Leprosy. She's taken away from her family and then sent to Kalaupapa, the quarantined Leprosy settlement on the island of Moloka'i.... Rachel feels this is the end.. .but it is only the beginning.

I hope hope hope some big time director reads it and decides to make a movie about it.. EXCELLENT EXCELLENT BOOK. **** FOUR STARS

http://www.amazon.com/Molokai-Alan-B...7971803&sr=8-1

Comment

Originally posted by XtCwVz707 View Post
                            I'm currently reading the book "MOLOKA'I" Written by Alan Brennert... I'm purposely reading it slow because.. I'm SO ENGULFED by it... EXCELLENT book.

It's about Hawai'i more than a century ago and a little 7 year old girl by the name of Rachel Kalama. Her and her family live on O'ahu- She dreams about traveling and seeing other countries as her dad does. But then one day bad news hits... and Rachel has been diagnosed with Leprosy. She's taken away from her family and then sent to Kalaupapa, the quarantined Leprosy settlement on the island of Moloka'i.... Rachel feels this is the end.. .but it is only the beginning.

I hope hope hope some big time director reads it and decides to make a movie about it.. EXCELLENT EXCELLENT BOOK. **** FOUR STARS

http://www.amazon.com/Molokai-Alan-B...7971803&sr=8-1
                            =

I just finished Moloka'i it was really good but still nothing tops Shark Dialogs. I love the relationship Rachel had with the other people on the Island. She really learned a lot about the human condition. It would make a great film.

Review of Shark Dialogs
                            From Library Journal
                            [/B]This expansive and engrossing multigenerational saga details the history of Hawaii through the experiences of one family. It begins in the 19th century with the dramatic meeting of a young Yankee sailor and a beautiful Tahitian princess. Their descendants, who live in contemporary Hawaii, are four cousins named Vanya, Ming, Rachel, and Jess who have been brought up by Pono, a kahuna, or seer, who has never talked about her mysterious past to her four granddaughters. Davenport deftly includes much information in the narrative--about politics, leprosy, and the racial melting pot that is Hawaiian society--with a minimum of didacticism. She incorporates folklore, history, and myth in a vivid, lush prose style that only occasionally becomes overwrought. This first novel is much better written than James Michener's Hawaii (1959) and brings Hawaiian history up to the present day. Entertaining and educational, it is an excellent purchase for public libraries of any size. Previewed in Prepub Alert, LJ 1/94.
                            - Nancy Pearl, Washington Ctr . for the Book, Seattle
                            Last edited by greentara; May 1, 2007, 05:09 PM.
                            "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
                              =

I just finished Moloka'i it was really good but still nothing tops Shark Dialogs. I love the relationship Rachel had with the other people on the Island. She really learned a lot about the human condition. It would make a great film.

Review of Shark Dialogs
                              From Library Journal[/b]This expansive and engrossing multigenerational saga details the history of Hawaii through the experiences of one family. It begins in the 19th century with the dramatic meeting of a young Yankee sailor and a beautiful Tahitian princess. Their descendants, who live in contemporary Hawaii, are four cousins named Vanya, Ming, Rachel, and Jess who have been brought up by Pono, a kahuna, or seer, who has never talked about her mysterious past to her four granddaughters. Davenport deftly includes much information in the narrative--about politics, leprosy, and the racial melting pot that is Hawaiian society--with a minimum of didacticism. She incorporates folklore, history, and myth in a vivid, lush prose style that only occasionally becomes overwrought. This first novel is much better written than James Michener's Hawaii (1959) and brings Hawaiian history up to the present day. Entertaining and educational, it is an excellent purchase for public libraries of any size. Previewed in Prepub Alert, LJ 1/94.
                              - Nancy Pearl, Washington Ctr . for the Book, Seattle
                              Ohh Shark Dialogs... I'm gonna have to check that one out!

Comment

leme know what you think when you do....

Comment

Working...
                                X