Thread: Spam tips, recipes, etc. (and spam musubi!)

Talking Spam tips, recipes, etc. (and spam musubi!)

I started another thread, since I didn't want to start going really OT on the other one with the guy wanting to know if he could keep spam musubi overnight...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailina
    Aw, junk. I didn't know about marinating the Spam. The musubi recipes I got from Local Kine Recipes and Ono Recipes didn't mention marinating!

What's the marinade? Shoyu?
    Shoyu/sugar is a good marinade. Plus, here in our household we use the "low-sodium" kine shoyu. Everything is already salty as it is, no need more salt! If you don't marinate, you can just fry spam, pour shoyu over while cooking, and then add sugar. With the heat you get a thick sauce over it pretty quick. But depending on the shoyu you use, you will have to do some taste-tests to see how much sugar to add. You can also use teriyaki marinades.

After seeing the Spamarama on the Food Network recently, I'd say you could use any number of sauces with your spam. I really want to try "spam on a stick"...I think they used a thick pancake batter. Ooooh!

Let me know how it goes when you make spam musubi again.

Default Re: Spam tips, recipes, etc. (and spam musubi!)

Hehe, I taped the spam cook-off challenge, and even that episode of Emeril Live with Sam Choy.

We don't usually marinate, just do the frying. We use Kikkoman for almost everything in this house. Never tried using Aloha for spam musubi or regular shoyu spam. And sometimes we use Ted's teriyaki sauce instead. I love that stuff, especially with May's teriyaki burger...

I wanna try the bacon flavored spam we have with the little BLT recipe on the can.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    I wanna try the bacon flavored spam we have with the little BLT recipe on the can.
    I tried the bacon spam once, and I didn't care for it that much. But maybe it's all in how you fix it up!

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    We use Kikkoman for almost everything in this house.
    Over the years, I've come to like different shoyu brands. I like Kikkoman for some stuff, Aloha low-sodium (since that's what mom buy), and there's a shoyu that Panda Express uses...ummm, can't think of the name. Not sure if it is Yamasa or not. For some reason, I LOVE it! I also like using that brand that Panda has for sushi.

Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoetulip
    Shoyu/sugar is a good marinade. Plus, here in our household we use the "low-sodium" kine shoyu. Everything is already salty as it is, no need more salt! If you don't marinate, you can just fry spam, pour shoyu over while cooking, and then add sugar. With the heat you get a thick sauce over it pretty quick. But depending on the shoyu you use, you will have to do some taste-tests to see how much sugar to add. You can also use teriyaki marinades.
    Mahalo, e tiptoetulip, for starting this thread!

We usually use Kikkoman. We can't get Aloha here. I could probably order it online, but Kikkoman is what my dad raised me on. The only other alternative in our neck of the woods is some weird brand...LaChoy, I think. Ick.

But yeah...I'll give the marinade a whirl. I was wondering why my musubi tasted like something was missing. And my breakfast Spam, too. I never could get it to taste like Dad's. And that's why.
    ~'Ailina

Ever try Tulip? It is pretty tasty I guess the bacon in it makes the difference

Quote Originally Posted by alohabear
    Gasp! Try anything other than Spam?! That smacks of heresy, young man! Of course, so does that gawd awful turkey Spam. Yuck.
    Miulang

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang
    Gasp! Try anything other than Spam?! That smacks of heresy, young man! Of course, so does that gawd awful turkey Spam. Yuck.
    Miulang
    I like smoky spam...ono

This link will lead you to 25 tried and true SPAM recipes. All of them placed well in the SPAM Cook-offs which are a yearly event on Guam. Personal favorites here include the SPAM Stuffed Shrooms and the SPAM Curry Nasi Goreng. GuamDiner.com SPAM recipes

mmmm spam!! now where would Hawaii be without spam in our culture??!!

Thanks for this marinade tip!! Gonna give it a try! No Aloha Shoyu here on the east coast either but I always have a bottle of Kikkoman low sodium in the fridge! mmmmmm!
    Lovena

Quote Originally Posted by alohabear
    Tiptoetulip has not tried Tulip yet. There were some radio ads awhile back with people raving about it. But I don't think I had cared for Bacon Spam...is it like that?

Quote Originally Posted by glossyp
    This link will lead you to 25 tried and true SPAM recipes. All of them placed well in the SPAM Cook-offs which are a yearly event on Guam. Personal favorites here include the SPAM Stuffed Shrooms and the SPAM Curry Nasi Goreng. GuamDiner.com SPAM recipes
    Thanks for the link. I think I'd like to try the Stuffed Shrooms and the Pika Pierogi! I still want to make up a recipe for spam on a stick (with a pancake type batter!). Yummmm.

I like Spam once in awhile, and tried the musubi at the grill in my neighborhood here in Fed Way, WA. It was terrible. Not their fault I'm sure, I just don't like it. And to press the point further.....I just don't get it. The Spam musubi thing.

Also, I have tried to find out why salmon is so beloved in the Islands. I don't get that either, since it is not an idigenous fish.

Please forgive my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by pinakboy
    mmmm spam!! now where would Hawaii be without spam in our culture??!!
    I know what you mean! Here in the islands spam is definitely a food group all by itself.

All this spam talk has made me think of Spam Katsu Musubi, from 7-11. There was a time when I just loved eating those, but then I got tired of the rice, because there was just too much of it. But my short lived affair gave me much satisfaction! I couldn't find a pic of the 7-11 kine, but I found this pic here, of Spam Katsu Curry, from Sumo Ramen & Curry. It has me salivating...and I just made curry last night (with lots of fukujinzuke)!

Tiptoetulip has not tried Tulip yet. There were some radio ads awhile back with people raving about it. But I don't think I had cared for Bacon Spam...is it like that?
    I could swear we had a Tulip v. Spam thread here. It at least came up in the "This or That" thread that Scrivener came up with. I actually like it. The traditionalist in me will always go for Spam, but if served Tulip, I won't complain.

I haven't tried all the flavors of Spam, so I don't know if "Bacon Spam" is close to Tulip, but I doubt it. I imagine "Bacon Spam" really tries to set apart the flavor of bacon. The flavor in Tulip is much more nuanced. Richer. I'd say if you were making a spam musubi with Tulip, you'd probably have to adjust your marinade to adjust for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalalinder
    I just don't get it. The Spam musubi thing.
    My wife's lived here over a decade, has come to love the island's people, culture, and language, and is a mother to three beautiful hapa kids. But she still will not eat a spam musubi.

Still, I doubt I'll be the last person to tell you, if your first and only spam musubi was from some place on the mainland, you haven't really had one. In fact, I bet they attempted to "gourmet" it up a bit (as if gourmet is a verb, but anyway) -- which is usually a bad idea for any local staple.

It wasn't gourmet at all, it was too bland if anything. I guess I should also say that I have tried sushi too and don't see what the big whoop is.

And the grill was just opened by an old guy who just arrived here from Hawaii. His family works the restaurant while he hangs around all day to talk with other islanders who come in, and believe me, there are a lot of them in Western Washington.

Their plate lunch is fine and the kalua pig is great there too. I think I'll have them cater a dinner at our church. But hold the musubi.

I usally eat the Low Sodium Spam. Sometimes the Turkey Spam. As far as spam musubi, in most cases if I am at 7-11 buying something to eat I would add a spam musubi to the list, sometimes I go for a BBQ chicken musubi. I never tried Tulip.

After seeing the Spamarama on the Food Network recently, I'd say you could use any number of sauces with your spam.
    Did you see the SPAM throwing contest? That would be a fun game to add to your next Keiki (or grown-up) birthday party!

SPAM TOSSING CONTEST
    Object: The team that can toss and catch SPAM the farthest without dropping it WINS.
    Directions:
    Partner teams in groups of two each.
    Give each team a whole piece of RAW SPAM (with slime and all).
    Line up each team 5 ft. apart from each other.
    When you say GO!, each team will begin the toss.
    As each team completes the toss, have them move farther apart (equally among each team)
    Continue the toss.
    Whichever team drops the SPAM on the ground is instantly DQ'd. Also, the SPAM cannot fall apart. It has to stay in a whole piece. If a player catches it and it breaks apart, that team will be DQ'd. Also, only BARE HANDS may be used to catch the SPAM.. NO shirts, gloves, etc.
    The team that can toss and catch SPAM the farthest in one piece without dropping it WINS.

Of course, you can bend the rules, depending on the amount of participation and player competence.

Before Fat Tuesday was banned here in Seattle, they had a Spam carving contest every year. It was fun to see how creative the sculpters were with their entries. Or should I say entrees......[insert rim shot here].....

Quote Originally Posted by Lalalinder
    Before Fat Tuesday was banned here in Seattle, they had a Spam carving contest every year. It was fun to see how creative the sculpters were with their entries. Or should I say entrees......[insert rim shot here].....
    The reason the Spam carving tradition died in seattle is because Ruby Montana, the businesswoman who used to sponsor the event, sold her business and moved to Palm Springs, where she now owns this really kitschy pink motel. Fat Tuesday hasn't been banned, there are just more police that evening to prevent rowdy crowds from killing each other in Pioneer Sq.

Miulang

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/riot01.shtml

Right, Ruby lost her lease and left town, and yes, Fat Tuesday was banned in Pioneer Square.