Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spam tips, recipes, etc. (and spam musubi!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam tips, recipes, etc. (and spam musubi!)

I started another thread, since I didn't want to start going really OT on the other one with the guy wanting to know if he could keep spam musubi overnight...
    Originally posted by Ailina
    Aw, junk. I didn't know about marinating the Spam. The musubi recipes I got from Local Kine Recipes and Ono Recipes didn't mention marinating!

What's the marinade? Shoyu?
    Shoyu/sugar is a good marinade. Plus, here in our household we use the "low-sodium" kine shoyu. Everything is already salty as it is, no need more salt! If you don't marinate, you can just fry spam, pour shoyu over while cooking, and then add sugar. With the heat you get a thick sauce over it pretty quick. But depending on the shoyu you use, you will have to do some taste-tests to see how much sugar to add. You can also use teriyaki marinades.

After seeing the Spamarama on the Food Network recently, I'd say you could use any number of sauces with your spam. I really want to try "spam on a stick"...I think they used a thick pancake batter. Ooooh!

Let me know how it goes when you make spam musubi again.
    Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Re: Spam tips, recipes, etc. (and spam musubi!)

Hehe, I taped the spam cook-off challenge, and even that episode of Emeril Live with Sam Choy.

We don't usually marinate, just do the frying. We use Kikkoman for almost everything in this house. Never tried using Aloha for spam musubi or regular shoyu spam. And sometimes we use Ted's teriyaki sauce instead. I love that stuff, especially with May's teriyaki burger...

I wanna try the bacon flavored spam we have with the little BLT recipe on the can.
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog
      I wanna try the bacon flavored spam we have with the little BLT recipe on the can.
      I tried the bacon spam once, and I didn't care for it that much. But maybe it's all in how you fix it up!

Originally posted by kupomog
      We use Kikkoman for almost everything in this house.
      Over the years, I've come to like different shoyu brands. I like Kikkoman for some stuff, Aloha low-sodium (since that's what mom buy), and there's a shoyu that Panda Express uses...ummm, can't think of the name. Not sure if it is Yamasa or not. For some reason, I LOVE it! I also like using that brand that Panda has for sushi.

Mmmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
        Shoyu/sugar is a good marinade. Plus, here in our household we use the "low-sodium" kine shoyu. Everything is already salty as it is, no need more salt! If you don't marinate, you can just fry spam, pour shoyu over while cooking, and then add sugar. With the heat you get a thick sauce over it pretty quick. But depending on the shoyu you use, you will have to do some taste-tests to see how much sugar to add. You can also use teriyaki marinades.
        Mahalo, e tiptoetulip, for starting this thread!

We usually use Kikkoman. We can't get Aloha here. I could probably order it online, but Kikkoman is what my dad raised me on. The only other alternative in our neck of the woods is some weird brand...LaChoy, I think. Ick.

But yeah...I'll give the marinade a whirl. I was wondering why my musubi tasted like something was missing. And my breakfast Spam, too. I never could get it to taste like Dad's. And that's why.
        ~'Ailina

Comment

Ever try Tulip? It is pretty tasty I guess the bacon in it makes the difference
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
            Gasp! Try anything other than Spam?! That smacks of heresy, young man! Of course, so does that gawd awful turkey Spam. Yuck.
            Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Gasp! Try anything other than Spam?! That smacks of heresy, young man! Of course, so does that gawd awful turkey Spam. Yuck.
              Miulang
              I like smoky spam...ono
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

This link will lead you to 25 tried and true SPAM recipes. All of them placed well in the SPAM Cook-offs which are a yearly event on Guam. Personal favorites here include the SPAM Stuffed Shrooms and the SPAM Curry Nasi Goreng. GuamDiner.com SPAM recipes

Comment

mmmm spam!! now where would Hawaii be without spam in our culture??!!
                  Reggie aka pinakboy
                  Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                  Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                  Recipe Tube TV!
                  Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Thanks for this marinade tip!! Gonna give it a try! No Aloha Shoyu here on the east coast either but I always have a bottle of Kikkoman low sodium in the fridge! mmmmmm!
                    Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                      Tiptoetulip has not tried Tulip yet. There were some radio ads awhile back with people raving about it. But I don't think I had cared for Bacon Spam...is it like that?

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                        This link will lead you to 25 tried and true SPAM recipes. All of them placed well in the SPAM Cook-offs which are a yearly event on Guam. Personal favorites here include the SPAM Stuffed Shrooms and the SPAM Curry Nasi Goreng. GuamDiner.com SPAM recipes
                        Thanks for the link. I think I'd like to try the Stuffed Shrooms and the Pika Pierogi! I still want to make up a recipe for spam on a stick (with a pancake type batter!). Yummmm.

Comment

I like Spam once in awhile, and tried the musubi at the grill in my neighborhood here in Fed Way, WA. It was terrible. Not their fault I'm sure, I just don't like it. And to press the point further.....I just don't get it. The Spam musubi thing.

Also, I have tried to find out why salmon is so beloved in the Islands. I don't get that either, since it is not an idigenous fish.

Please forgive my ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by pinakboy
                            mmmm spam!! now where would Hawaii be without spam in our culture??!!
                            I know what you mean! Here in the islands spam is definitely a food group all by itself.

All this spam talk has made me think of Spam Katsu Musubi, from 7-11. There was a time when I just loved eating those, but then I got tired of the rice, because there was just too much of it. But my short lived affair gave me much satisfaction! I couldn't find a pic of the 7-11 kine, but I found this pic here, of Spam Katsu Curry, from Sumo Ramen & Curry. It has me salivating...and I just made curry last night (with lots of fukujinzuke)!

Comment

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
                              Tiptoetulip has not tried Tulip yet. There were some radio ads awhile back with people raving about it. But I don't think I had cared for Bacon Spam...is it like that?
                              I could swear we had a Tulip v. Spam thread here. It at least came up in the "This or That" thread that Scrivener came up with. I actually like it. The traditionalist in me will always go for Spam, but if served Tulip, I won't complain.

I haven't tried all the flavors of Spam, so I don't know if "Bacon Spam" is close to Tulip, but I doubt it. I imagine "Bacon Spam" really tries to set apart the flavor of bacon. The flavor in Tulip is much more nuanced. Richer. I'd say if you were making a spam musubi with Tulip, you'd probably have to adjust your marinade to adjust for it.
                              Originally posted by Lalalinder
                              I just don't get it. The Spam musubi thing.
                              My wife's lived here over a decade, has come to love the island's people, culture, and language, and is a mother to three beautiful hapa kids. But she still will not eat a spam musubi.

Still, I doubt I'll be the last person to tell you, if your first and only spam musubi was from some place on the mainland, you haven't really had one. In fact, I bet they attempted to "gourmet" it up a bit (as if gourmet is a verb, but anyway) -- which is usually a bad idea for any local staple.

Comment

Working...
                              X