Coke or Pepsi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coke or Pepsi?

The other day I was at one of our town's popular pasta restaurants and decided to order a Pepsi. At the time I placed the order, I asked for Pepsi and there seemed to be no problem. When the soft drink arrived, turned out to be a Coke. Hmmm. Why didn't the waiter tell us this before the drink was served? Most restaurants will tell you that they don't have Pepsi and ask if you would settle for a Coke before you place the order. I think that should be common courtesy at all restaurants if you don't know what they are serving.

While this was not a monumental issue at the time (I settled for the Coke), it got me thinking, why don't restaurants and other eating places serve both Coke and Pepsi? It seems like each place is married to one soft drink vendor or the other, but not both. The same applies down the line of their other soft drinks... Sprite or 7-Up (lately Sierra Mist)... Barqs or Mug Root Beer... whatever... each drink is tied to the major Coke or Pepsi vendor.

Know of any restaurant where customers have a choice of either Pepsi or Coke within the same premises?

What is your preferred soft drink of choice?
    Coke
    40.00%
    Pepsi
    20.00%
    R.C. Cola
    6.67%
    Another brand of cola or soft drink
    20.00%
    None of the above
    13.33%

The poll is expired.

I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Coke or Pepsi?

It's no secert that my soda of choice is Mountain Dew but my second choice soda would be Caffeine Free Diet Coke after that it's plain Diet Coke.

I suspect places that might have both soda vendors might be cafeterias that have self serve soda fountains or sell them by the cans.

Comment

Why one or the other? For chains, especially, but I imagine for mom and pop operations as well, you sign contracts with either distributor. Or rather, I'm sure you could sign for both, but I'm pretty sure they're constructed so that the only way you can get a reasonable price is if you promise exclusivity.

The distributors do a lot to get that exclusivity, and the evidence can usually be found on the wall. Does that diner on S. King have a "Open/Closed" hours sign on the door that alsohappens to have a Coke logo? Does that bar have a big neon clock that just happens to feature the Pepsi logo prominently? If you sign with one or the other, you'll be at least minimally rewarded with trinkets and knicknacks.

The battle is most obvious in convenience stores, like at gas stations or mini marts. They have to carry both, but obviously keep them in separate refrigerators, and you better bet that for every Coke logo in the building - on the fridge, on the cash register, on the door, on the wall - there'll be a Pepsi logo to match it.

Of course, some mom and pop operations buy their soda in bulk from Sam's Club or Marukai, and in that case may easily pick up one or the other. Heck, at a downtown office, you can find Pepsi crammed into some of the slots of an old Coke machine. So, it's not do-or-die...

You probably know that you'll never see Coke sold at a Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, or KFC, though, since Pepsi owns 'em!

Oh, and my preference is Coke, but I go for what's cheap. If that's Safeway Select sometimes? So be it.

Comment

Dr. Pepper

Comment

Me, I love RC cola...
          Rarely get to drink it though as I'm not hardcore enough to buy when it's not on sale.

I also love Jolt...
          But I have to drive a ways to get it at the Mom and Pop store which is the only one I know that carries it.

Comment

Most people I know choose one--and they stick with it. I changed from one to the other. I liked Coke a lot, during high school and most of college. I would drink nothing but Coke, and shunned Pepsi for being too sweet. I just really liked the "bite" of Coke...and it had nothing to do with New Kids being the spokespeople, I swear!

Then for some reason...after I got my bachelor's and was in graduate school...I suddenly couldn't stand Coke and wanted the much sweeter Pepsi. Maybe it had to do with the Burger King that used to be at U.H. which I'd frequent, and they were a Pepsi chain back then, so I just got accustomed to it. I don't know what it was. But for some reason, from grad school until a few years ago, I'd drink nothing but Pepsi. I especially loved it when the Pepsi cubes went on sale at Longs for $4.99...I'd buy like 20 cubes, and keep them stored up.

Now? Just water, thank you. Can't have the sugary stuff, and never really cared for diet sodas. And deciding between Aquafina or Dasani just doesn't have the same ring to it

Comment

I dont really dig soda and drinks like that. My wife likes Pepsi and Pepsi Products.

My favorite drink is still crystal clear cool clean refreshing water.

Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

my soft drink of choice is ginger ale or sprite. I was never into coke or pepsi.

Comment

I stick with Coke. I'm a true Coca-cola dude.

Comment

"Coke is IT"! Can't remember who the spokesperson is for Coke now...or Pepsi.
                    Slickvic sure posts nice pictures, it takes me time just to remember my login stuffs! (senior moments).
                    Retired Senior Member

Comment

I gotta have my frapp or doubleshot almost daily....
                      am not a soda person unless it's with pizza.

Comment

Noticed that 7-11 took out Caffeine Free Diet Coke and put in Diet Coke with Lemon on the fountain. Well at least one location did so. Don't know about the other locations.

Comment

Soda is S-O-D-A
                          but I lyke da cracka

No preference but..... kinda lean moa towards da coke *sniff* (j/k)

As fo CRYTSAL PEPSI ....... ahhhhhh wuz fun while it lasted

Comment

Dr. Pepper, then well, Dr. Pepper.
                            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                            Sharing withother survivors...
                            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Coke, most definately

Comment

Working...
                              X