Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with an injured Kolea?

Oh MAN!
    My outdoor cats got themselves a kolea, female. Had their fun with it and then I found it. It isn't bleeding, it looks like it might have a broken wing (or two). and it's 9:40 p.m.
    Any advice? Isn't there a bird friendly organization that can help with this? I put her in a brand new cat carrier (no cat smells!) and tucked her into a closet so she'd be safe from indoor cat as well. And I hope the darkness calms her down. Poor thing.
    Shoots. Kinda wish the cats had played with a rat instead. I would have just let them have their fun!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: What to do with an injured Kolea?

Aw, man. I think I'm going to cry...
    Honestly, I don't know. If it survives the night, take it to a vet in the morning?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      Aw, man. I think I'm going to cry...
      Honestly, I don't know. If it survives the night, take it to a vet in the morning?

I so agree with you. But ya know what? If she dies in the darkness of my closet, then at least she didn't get all shredded and I didn't find her feathers all over the yard (or house!). Sometimes my cats suck. This is one of those times.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
        Sometimes my cats suck. This is one of those times.
        Yeah, but they're just being cats. That kolea must have known that there were cats about. One way nature does its work, I guess, is when the birds who aren't aware of cats don't get to pass on their genes.

Still, sad.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          Yeah, but they're just being cats. That kolea must have known that there were cats about. One way nature does its work, I guess, is when the birds who aren't aware of cats don't get to pass on their genes.

Still, sad.

My husband said he'd take it to the Humane Society after work, when he gets home tonight. They indicated they could pass it to the Audobon Society. And I work at Oceanic Institute, and I just discovered that Sea Life Park takes in injured sea birds and kolea. So I may take it there in the morning and keep my man home.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I was just thinking this morning that the kolea in my neighborhood seem to be pretty lucky considering the high cat population. Bummer.

Comment

I'm sad to report the sweet thing didn't make it. I'm betting she dehydrated. I am so sad. There are all these fat doves around here and the cats could give a rip. So I just don't get it.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Even through the bird has passed on you may still want to give it to or at least contact the Sea Life Park people. It may have a band on it's leg, if so they or someone else can deal with the tracking information on the bird.

Comment

Working...
                X