Burglars and Thieves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burglars and Thieves

So we've officially been burglarized. Last night, someone sliced our screen window in our bedroom, reached in and grabbed my wife's purse off our bed. (we live on the second floor, but there is a "mid" roof that makes the window easily accessible.) All the while, we're in the family room watching the tele - so I'm relieved that all they got was the purse and ran off. So can we call ourselves kama'aina now?
    Stephen
    Last edited by Stephen; October 14, 2005, 11:28 AM. Reason: cause i spelt real guud

Re: Am I Kama'aina now?

Dunno 'bout being called Kama'aina, but you can certainly call yourselves lucky.

Same can't be said for that LOST TV star actor who got robbed at gunpoint at his Hawaii Kai home.

Last edited by Pomai; October 14, 2005, 11:37 AM. Reason: spelled lucky "luckly"
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

That sucks, Stephen. I hope you didn't lose too much.

Comment

Last year, the 2 story building that we lived in was termite tented and when we returned, 2 ukuleles-(can I put an "s" here, Kimo?) and our stereo were stolen. Lucky for us that was "only" about 2 thousand dollars worth of stuff. The police made a report and nothing came of it. Oh well, life goes on, eh?
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

No, but that won't stop ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
            Dunno 'bout being called Kama'aina, but you can certainly call yourselves lucky.

Same can't be said for that LOST TV star actor who got robbed at gunpoint at his Hawaii Kai home.

Hmmm...I'm of the belief that the LOST star and his wife are very, very lucky. It could've been so much worse.

Ditto for you, Stephen. What an unpleasant experience, even if you were in another room. It's such a violation of personal space.

One of the news programs the other night was profiling a "Wanted" character mentioning he had burlarized a unit where I live. A bit unnerving, to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
              Hmmm...I'm of the belief that the LOST star and his wife are very, very lucky. It could've been so much worse. ------------------------ It's such a violation of personal space.
              Just meant that he's lucky he didn't have a confrontation with the intruder, let alone an intruder with a HANDGUN. But yeah, the LOST TV actor and wife are actually lucky to have not been harmed.

Been through this my share of times as well. Try owning a Honda. Great car, but a magnet for auto thieves. Loved that car, but not the perpetually broken door locks.

IMO - You don't become a Kama'aina by having bad things happen to you. Becoming Kama'aina takes TIME living here and understanding the true spirit of Aloha.

All the best to you folks that you can recoup from whatever was taken.
              Last edited by Pomai; October 14, 2005, 02:51 PM.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                Just meant that he's lucky he didn't have a confrontation with the intruder, let alone an intruder with a HANDGUN. But yeah, the LOST TV actor and wife are actually lucky to have not been harmed.

Been through this my share of times as well. Try owning a Honda. Great car, but a magnet for auto thieves. Loved that car, but not the perpetually broken door locks.

IMO - You don't become a Kama'aina by having bad things happen to you. Becoming Kama'aina takes TIME living here and understanding the true spirit of Aloha.

All the best to you folks that you can recoup from whatever was taken.
                It's common on the mainland as well as in Hawaii.

I've had a bike stolen (when I was a kid) and recovered within walking distance of home (the thief was also probably a kid), and a break-in burglary encouraged us to get a burglar alarm.

Comment

Thanks - we were very lucky. They just reached in and grabbed my wife's purse off the bed and left. We lost about 50 in cash and the purse/etc, but were able to cancel the debit card in time. We'll chalk that one up to experience.
                  Aloha!
                  Stephen

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about the burglary Stephen! But yes, thankfully the purse is the only thing they took. When I lived in Waipahu (small keed time) our place got broken into. I remember coming home from school devastated at it all but you wanna know what made me cry? Whoever broke in had knocked down the rice cake (bok tong go) my mother just bought for me earlier that morning and smushed it into the carpet.

Oh da horror!

The things that are a matter of life and death to a 5 year old can be amusing. But come to think of it, I probably would still cry if I saw a perfectly good slice of rice cake smushed into a carpet. Some things never change.
                    Last edited by Lei K; October 14, 2005, 04:18 PM.
                    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen
                      So we've officially been burglarized...
                      All the while, we're in the family room watching the tele - so I'm relieved that all they got was the purse and ran off. So can we call ourselves kama'aina now?
                      Thank goodness no one was hurt! People are becoming so bold these days. It's definitely unsettling to know the person did this while you were home. I'm glad you and your family are okay.

Your story reminded me of our own house burglary, but since it's a little long, and I have trouble being concise, etc., I'm going to post it in a new post.

Keep safe, Stephen!
                      Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Burglars and Thieves

Having someone break in to your house--your HOME--is unsettling. Even knowing your neighbor's house was burglarized can disrupt your life and put you on edge. I was reading Stephen's post (Am I Kama`aina now?) and was reminded of my own experiences.

Around 1990, our house got broken in to, while I was home. There had been a rash of burglaries in the recent months in our neighborhood as well as nearby areas.

My parents had gone off to work, and I was still sleeping. Woke up to go to the bathroom, found a few things "off" (drawer pulled open, etc.). Soon enough saw the living room screen pulled off, and a pile of things in the middle of the living room! My heart fell into my stomach, called 911, saw the guy creeping up the stairs with a bag of stuff! I thought that was it, the end for me. He runs down to his car, a stolen one at that, then RUNS BACK UP TO THE HOUSE! He tries to break through the master bedroom door, I figure to get back at me for calling the cops....but the guy just "forgot" some stock certificates on the bed. Meanwhile I'm screaming, and one of the neighbors hears me. He tries to swerve towards her while driving off.

After the cop finally arrives, does his report and is gone....get this, I find a knife (from our kitchen) propped up under the foot of my bed. How unnerving is that? I just stood there staring at it, in shock. That guy was in my room, looking at me sleeping, and what...thinking he'd come back to do something?...I shudder at the thought.

The guy was never caught, and now we have even more wrought(sp?) iron bars on the windows. Lovely.

After the whole incident, I was trying to remember if I had heard anything that morning (while sleeping). I seemed to remember hearing the doorbell a number of times. I guess that might've been his way of "checking" to see if someone was home or not.

There are always people who pretend they're looking for someone, that way I guess they're not so suspicious. Beware, people!

We've also had people come on to our property and clean out our fruit trees. One time it was one of our "small" mango trees in the front yard. We're not like Pearl City, with those trees laden with fruit...we had ONE cigar mango clinging on for life. My dad actually got in his truck and chased the guy down the street to retrieve it! The guy offered to pay, but hey, you don't steal and then try to make up for it!! Our two mango trees got chopped down soon enough.

Then, we had this HUGE avocado tree, also near our driveway, but not right on the sidewalk. You'd have to walk up a bit. One evening I'm outside, and notice, ever so curiously, that there are all these big avocados on the ground, around the tree! I'm staring at it, like, what the....? Then I notice a net and one pair slippahs! Da buggah was still in the tree! A little scared, I walked away, yelled to someone in the house. The guy jumps out, walks to his car ever so calmly. I yell at him, "They're not even ripe yet!!!!!" to which he actually replies, "Okay, okay, sorry!"

You gotta leave avocados on the tree long enough to get the best taste. But now that tree is also chopped down. So much for growing your own fruit in YOUR OWN YARD!

We noticed that with other occurrences of fruit being stolen, that it often takes place the early morning (while still dark) before swap meet days. Hmmm....

Thanks for letting me relive all this and get it off my chest! Grrrrrr...
                        Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Re: Burglars and Thieves

I don't call 911.
                          My Ruger Mini 14's and Beretta 92FS's are always clean and loaded and anyone somehow able to get past my alarms will get a +P jacketed hollowpoint double tap into his chest to put him down and then a +P jacketed hollowpoint double tap into his head to put him out.
                          He will then be buried under the flower bed to give it fertilizer.
                          No fuss no muss.No cops no lawyers.

Comment

Then don't watch "It takes a thief" on the discovery channel (channel 69 on regular OC, and channel 333 on digital OC). Its a show about 2 ex thieves, where one of them talks the family into letting them break into their home and steal stuff, while the other one does the actual crime (but he returns their stuff, and they do some security renovation, then they test that to make sure it doesn't happen again).

Ever since I watch that show, I'm worried about our security, and since we got elderly people, I dont' think they'll like it if their things are taken. But we do have a big gate, and someone is always home 24/7.
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

tiptoetulip, your story is absolutely incredible.

It would be safe to say there isn't a single member on this board (let alone this state) who hasn't had an experience (at varying extremes) similar to yours. Myself included.

They may as well rename The Hawaiian Islands "The Pacific Icelands".
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X