Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who thinks that God is telling the US something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who thinks that God is telling the US something?

With a 3rd hurricane expected to hit Florida, who thinks that these hurricanes (or [natural] disasters) is a sign from up above that we're doing something wrong?

And do you think those people that are in the effected area will heed the warnings?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Who thinks that God is telling the US something?

Sure, it's a sign that we're doing something wrong. We're burning too much fossil fuel, and we're draining too many wetlands and building too many houses in vulnerable coastal cities.

Comment

I know I'm going to sound apocalyptic, but you asked a question I've been considering since before Katrina, and I have an opinion on it, so here are my 2 cents.

"Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door...." Matt. 24:32,33
      I don't think God is trying to tell the US something. I don't think all the upheaval is a "message" for our country or anyone else's. I think all these things that are happening are the natural (and predicted) unfoldings of the Divine Course.

Sure, the US is getting the stuff kicked out of it in myriad ways right now, but so is the rest of the world. The human race as a whole is experiencing global "labor pangs" (Matt. 24:8), and I don't pay much mind to those things people say about the US "getting what we deserve" or our country "reaping what we've sown." We're all in the same boat, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't interpret the natural disasters and famines and wars as "warnings." It's my belief that we've had centuries of "warnings," and now we are entering the last chapter. The human race is lying in its buttered bread, and I truly believe our global condition will not improve. I believe the disasters and famines and wars are here to stay, and our only deliverance is death or rapture.
      ~'Ailina

Comment

If God is trying to tell us something, he (or she) should come out and say it. I don't think sending us cyptic messages in the guise of storms is the way of doing it.

And if some reason that's the way it ought to be then we should appeal the creation process since for some strange reason someone forgot to give us "knowledge and wisdom" in our makeup to see the cyptic messages in the guise of storms.

Of course if us humans did have "knowledge and wisdom" already built in a lot of us in the education field will be out of a job.
        Last edited by helen; October 19, 2005, 05:02 PM. Reason: more stuff to add

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
          With a 3rd hurricane expected to hit Florida, who thinks that these hurricanes (or [natural] disasters) is a sign from up above that we're doing something wrong?

And do you think those people that are in the effected area will heed the warnings?
          exatimo. As Glen alludes, it's the global warming effect, caused by our screwing mother nature, and the earth is trying to heal itself of this cancer which is mankind. "god" IS coming right out and telling us.
          Ask someone who was swept away and pulled under to drown within a few moments, or forced to starve in their own home or die slowly while flood waters rise above their chin while they are held prisoner in their own home. Do you think they are witness to a vague cryptic message from some anthropomorphic deity who rather should hand them an engraved neon 8.5 x 11 invitation to live life more religiously or sumpin?!

Nature is effectively eradicating the cause of the poison and destruction of this fragile planet. and anyone who thinks we need a more or obvious proverbial wake up call is permanently comatose.

and some of us have had this cryptic "knowledge and wisdom" for some time. Many great minds thru the ages. But who da hell cares what they say!?
          Last edited by kimo55; October 19, 2005, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Too bad all of this has been coming upon us gradually over the millenia. As with everything, eventually this earth will probably burn itself up. But not in our lifetime. It's as the Native Americans and the kanaka maoli say: what are we doing in this lifetime to ensure that seven generations into the future, there will be something left for our descendants?

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

IMO the only "sign" we're seeing is that our historical frame of reference is short indeed. Certainly we are contributing to the potential for erratic weather with our activities, but to a significant enough amount to be responsible for the severity of these storms is not at all clear.

To believe some being is punishing whole groups that include guilty and innocent alike to me is just mean-spirited. I should admit that I am an atheist.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

You know what I just realized? All of the hurricanes are happening before my family's birthdays. Katrina happened before my brother's birthday, Rita happened before mine, and now Wilma is happening before my Dad's birthday.

IDK if its coincidence, but that's spooky.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

coincidence is just a word...but it's there for a reason...

"Wilma" is a good name for a hurricane...
                  Don't be mean,
                  try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456

I like the macro-level outlook that this whole planet is a living organism and the sum of our behaviors can and are affecting it. If we balance a sober attitude concerning these behaviors with a hopeful one to build smarter/more efficient/weather resistant (and weather-affecting-resistant :-), that makes for good livin' in these pre-kari-yus times.

pax

Comment

"Those hurricanes are just a fraction of Alohabear's power. Bow down to my power now!"
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                        "Those hurricanes are just a fraction of Alohabear's power. Bow down to my power now!"
                        go easy, Pikachu...

pax

Comment

Wilma-chu! Storm Surge Flood Attack -- now!!

Comment

You know if you look at the world's tragedies and sort them by religion, I'd say God is punishing the Muslims more than the Christians. I mean look at Indonesia and now Pakistan. Their death tolls have made America's death toll so minor when it comes to natural disasters or even wars!

And the sad truth about the deaths from Katrina was that practically all of those fatalities could have been avoided. There was ample time to warn of impending doom, but the beauracuracies in place failed, in other words, human error caused all those deaths from Katrina not God.

But take a look at Pakistan...what is it now? About 79,000 deaths? Even the 9/11 attacks didn't come that close. And once again in 9/11 it was the human factor that killed all aboard the planes and buildings, not God.

Acts of God is what it's being called when it came to the tsunami's and earthquakes that hit the predominately Muslim countries that suffered tens of thousands of deaths.

So who is God punishing? If you ask me the numbers point to the Muslims and that's something the US isn't really much of.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear

Eh, no get into the fight. I've been doing this too long for somebody to calm walzing in slow. It's hard word to fight Hurricane in the Spirit World. I neva seen your okole before in dem woods so no ack!

Auntie Pupule
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X