There's a word for that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a word for that

I was reading a British newspaper article talking about foreign languages that compress a lot of meaning into a few words, and found that they were using a number of Hawaiian phrases in their examples. Hey all you folks out there who are fluent in ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi, do these definitions make sense to you? Or is the guy who wrote this book, where the examples are taken from, missing the mark?

PANA PO'O
    To scratch your head in order to help you to remember something you've forgotten.

O KA LA NOKONOKO
    A day spent in nervous anticipation of a coughing spell.

AKA'AKA'A
    Skin peeling or falling off after either sunburn or heavy drinking.

KUALANAPUHI
    An officer who keeps the flies off the sleeping king by waving a feather brush.

LOMILOMI
    The chief's masseur, whose duty it was to take care of his spittle and excrement.

'A'AMA
    Someone who speaks rapidly, hiding their meaning from one person while communicating it to another.

Extracted from 'The Meaning of Tingo' by Adam Jacot de Boinod.

Re: There's a word for that

In the realm of personal communications, if it takes a lot of words to describe an event or situation then you are speaking with a "high context" vocabulary. If you speak with less words and get the same message across (accurately that is) then you are speaking with a "low context" vocabulary.

So who is the more intelligent? The one with a low context vocabulary.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

i've always thought that those who can communicate nonverbally are the most highly effective communicators...i realize this doesn't apply to the context of an internet message board, but getting a complex point, request or observation across without actually saying anything is an admirable economy of time and energy...i had many nonverbal conversations with my old trombone player, whether the subject was someone in the crowd or something that regarded a sound issue...

it, of course, helps when you have a nonverbal lexicon of gestures to work with, as do many in the labor trades...we all remember the "i need a hammer" joke, no?
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        In the realm of personal communications, if it takes a lot of words to describe an event or situation then you are speaking with a "high context" vocabulary. If you speak with less words and get the same message across (accurately that is) then you are speaking with a "low context" vocabulary.

So who is the more intelligent? The one with a low context vocabulary.
        That's interesting, coming from someone whose posts often resemble term papers.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
          i've always thought that those who can communicate nonverbally are the most highly effective communicators...
          That would be a really cool newscast, hey JDub? I'd imagine those transcripts would obediently fit on one page. Then you'd get it for not filling the page!
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

.........Word!

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
              That would be a really cool newscast, hey JDub? I'd imagine those transcripts would obediently fit on one page. Then you'd get it for not filling the page!
              reminds me of Robert Kekaula's greeting.
              Wish he would just say

eh. howzit.

rather than, each... and every nite:

Hope your all having uuuuuuhhhh pleasantevening.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

Hey I never said I was smart I just like to ramble on...you know...ramble ramble ramble...

Plus I got all the time in the world so I ramble on and on and on almost 24-hours a day...

One night I was rambling on and on and I never even realized Hawaiian Telecom went down as I was...you know rambling on and on and on... Before you know it I was offline but I was still rambling on and on and on...

At least I don't split lanes

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

At least I don't split lanes
                  I don't either ... much.

Heeee!

You're a ramblin' man, gotta ramble, ramble on, rambleramble ...

Comment

this is turning into a shamble...

Comment

ramble.......

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                        hahahaha! yeah that's just what we need...let's combine newscasters and mimes...the two most annoying professions out there...i'd rather eat curried lamb lung...
                        Don't be mean,
                        try to help.

Comment

HEY!!! Let's keep dem innocent Lambs out of this thread!

Since have you ever tried curried lamb lung? Might taste ono...Yoko

Comment

http://khon2.com/2015/08/27/new-word...-awesomesauce/

New words for 2015.

Comment

My take on many of those words is that they are mistranslated.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X