Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Oahu - Help Please

Hello everyone!!

I'm moving from Richmond, Virginia and am preparing to move to Oahu. I was offered a job in Honolulu.

Can anyone give me any advice as to where to live? I'm basically looking for a 1 /1/1 (1 BR, 1 Bath, 1 Parking spot).

How long does it take to commute from the northern portion of Oahu to Honolulu? How about from the western and eastern portions of Oahu?
    What is the commute like in the morning and afternoon?

Anyone looking for a roomate?

e-mail me please! valaxone@comcast.net

Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by valaxone; October 27, 2005, 03:09 PM.

Re: Moving to Oahu - Help Please

Traffic is very bad here. How long it will take depends on where you will be working. If you could provide info on the vicinity of your job, we could provide a better estimate and also make better recommendations of areas to live. You might want to check out sharing with people who already have a place and are looking for room mates. Housing is tight but not impossible.

Comment

My work location is at the VA Medical Center
      459 Patterson Road
      Honolulu

I had heard traffic was bad.....

Comment

That's not a bad location as there are housing possibilites near by in Salt Lake, Moanalua, Aiea and Pearl City which would make a fairly quick commute. If you want to live near the beach in Kailua or on the North Shore, you can expect at least an hour each way.

Comment

Are there many apartments available towards Wailupe versus Ewa Beach? It would be more fun being along the coastline. What kinds of things do you like or don't like about the areas southeast of Honolulu versus west/northwest of Honolulu?

Comment

Originally posted by valaxone
            My work location is at the VA Medical Center
            459 Patterson Road
            Honolulu

I had heard traffic was bad.....

Ah! Tripler! First of all, no one calls it VA Med Ctr, just call it Tripler so everyone knows what you're talking about. There are plenty of apartments in the Salt Lake area that you might want to check out. I'd say do that, get a short lease and from there assess where you'd like to live as time goes on. If you get a Salt Lake place, you'd probably wouldn't even have to get on the freeway to get to work.
            Then you can meet people and learn about fun spots from the people you work with. Not all of the coasts here are welcoming sandy beaches. You might find that you'd rather live in Kailua or share a place with someone in Lanikai and take the H-3 to get to work, especially if you like going to the beach. The North Shore is mostly houses and this is prime time for renting out units because of the big waves and all of the surfers who come here for the winter. Might be out of your price range. Living in Central Oahu, from Mililani or Waipahu toward Salt Lake would be OK, but, I still would recommend a short-term lease so you can grab something you like.
            Good luck!
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
              That's not a bad location as there are housing possibilites near by in Salt Lake, Moanalua, Aiea and Pearl City which would make a fairly quick commute. If you want to live near the beach in Kailua or on the North Shore, you can expect at least an hour each way.
              I live in Kailua and commute to Honolulu every day. It only takes me 30 minutes. But then again, I start my commute at 6 A.M.
              backwoodlessons2

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                Ah! Tripler! First of all, no one calls it VA Med Ctr, just call it Tripler
                I believe the complete name is "Crippler Tripler".

Comment

How did it get the name Tripler?

Comment

Working...
                  X