Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the WEIRDEST thing you've ever eaten?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the WEIRDEST thing you've ever eaten?

...and by "weird," the definition is up to you. Compared to some of the answers I've gotten when asking this question, my tales of kangaroo medallions seem quite tame now.

Re: What's the WEIRDEST thing you've ever eaten?

Balut. By far the weirdest for me.

It looks absolutely disgusting. The black veins and poor little chick. My friend (from the Philippines) had me add some salt, then instructed to just "down it".

Funny enough, it was actually quite good! Tasted like Chicken Soup! You just have to get over the texture of soft bones and the chick's innocent eye looking at you. I'd suggest closing your eyes. It's easier.

I LOVE ESGARGOT. Farm-raised snails baked in an Escargot shell with a Garlic Butter sauce. This French delicacy is c'est si bon!

Don't even talk to me about insects though. Not for a million bucks.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

What about FRESH Poi with warm milk poured over it?

My grandmother used to make that for us. Sounds weird.. but it's so ono! Good for the digestive system too.

My mother likes canned salmon on hot rice with mayonaise and goma seed. That's kinda' weird too, but really good! Try it!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Menudo (as made by Mexicans). Tripe stew (local style) I like, but menudo is weird.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I wonder how the Puerto Rican boy band "Menudo" got their name?

Was their parents fond of Menudo stew, so they named their kid's band that?

Someone should start a local band called, "Laulau".

Local style tripe stew is da' bomb. But you gotta' whack 'em wit' Poi, or Poho da' flavah.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
            Local style tripe stew is da' bomb. But you gotta' whack 'em wit' Poi, or Poho da' flavah.
            When you say "whack 'em", you mean you eat it with poi on the side? Or you add poi to the stew?

Judging from my wife's reaction, I think the weirdest thing I eat is canned sardines on sourdough with plenty of mustard.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              When you say "whack 'em", you mean you eat it with poi on the side? Or you add poi to the stew?

Poi on da side for sure!

I heard in the old days, when nevah' have flour, they would use Poi to thicken stew. Does that really work? Never tried it. Plus, wouldn't the Poi change the flavor?

Another weird way to eat poi...

I like to scoop a spoonful, put some hot kalua pig on it and sprinkle little bit Hawaiian Salt. Then whack 'em. Ono!

One thing I could never stomach is Poi with sugar. Bleck!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Poi on da side for sure!

I heard in the old days, when nevah' have flour, they would use Poi to thicken stew. Does that really work? Never tried it. Plus, wouldn't the Poi change the flavor?
                "Flavor"? ROTFL

OK, jus' kidding, I like poi. But still ... flavor??

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

"Flavor"? ROTFL

OK, jus' kidding, I like poi. But still ... flavor??
                  Oh yes, flavor. As in fresh, 1-week-old, 2-weeks-old, 3-weeks-old, 1-month-old, etc.

I prefer 2- to 3-week-old poi myself, with just the right flavor, and bite.

Comment

One thing I could never stomach is Poi with sugar. Bleck!
                    In the Alpha Female's family, she and her mother like it with sugar or even honey; her dad likes it with shoyu. I'll take it straight, or with shoyu, or old enough to get some sourness - I agree with Pomai in that I just can't go in the sweet direction.

Many foods common to you folks in the Islands were (once upon a time) "weird" to me, but I've enjoyed so many new-to-me foods in the past decade that I can't say that so easily now. Poke, poi, tripe, oxtail, gobo - I could go on and on.

As I once noted elsewhere, there is a Japanese belief that every new food you try adds 72 days onto your life. My first trip to meet family in Hawai`i added on about four-and-a-half years, and I've done that much over again since. What a way to add time, eh? Through good food - I can see why it's central to so many Island lives; the mix of cultures brings the best of edibles from all over.

But it can still be classified as "weird" the first time...

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                      Oh yes, flavor. As in fresh, 1-week-old, 2-weeks-old, 3-weeks-old, 1-month-old, etc.

I prefer 2- to 3-week-old poi myself, with just the right flavor, and bite.
                      When I was a child, I ate fresh poi with milk and sugar. But when I became a man, I put away childish things. These days I let my poi sit until it turns pale and bubbly before I consider it ready to eat.

Comment

Fish & Poi. I'm a Big Boy, Lomi Salmon, Pipikaula, Don't forget the Lau Lau

Originally posted by MadAzza
                        I like poi. But still ... flavor??
                        Well it is considered a starch, so one might think its flavor is no more exciting then your average bowl of steamed white rice.

When I was a young boy, I only could eat FRESH Poi. The 2 day and later stuff was just too "tangy" for my younger palate. But now I prefer it sour. It does have more flavor (flavah').

For me, Poi is especially complimentary with very salty foods, such as Lomi Salmon or Pipikaula. It acts as a nice palate buffer. It's also my starch of choice with stews.

I'm sure when most first time visitors come to Hawaii and try Poi, their initial reaction is "this is weird stuff".

Anyone care for Natto (Japanese Fermented Soy Beans)? It has an odd mucous-like texture, but it's not bad with hot rice. High in anti-oxidants and protein.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                        X