Turkey-to-go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turkey-to-go

We did the to-go turkey dinner package from Molly's Smokehouse in Wahiawa. It's among my wife's favorite restaurants, and to get a thanksgiving dinner with a southern twist (collard greens!) was appealing.

As Saigonwarrior hinted above, though, they were quite slammed, and definitely had problems coordinating things. Folks were missing dishes, items were running out, Molly was presiding over a staff that got easily flustered, and the place was filling up with frustrated people waiting to go home.

I was told to come back in 45 minutes to get my mashed potatoes, but when I returned, I was told they'd given it to someone else and that I could wait as they started another batch. I got a refund instead.

The turkey was pre-prepared and refrigerated, by the way, but wrapped well and still quite delicious.

Comment

Re: Turkey-to-go

Here's my review of the
      HYATT REGENCY WAIKIKI Turkey-To-Go

• Whole Roasted Butterball Turkey, 10-12 lbs.
      -- Packed semi-roasted in baking bag and ready-to-heat foil pan. About 10 lbs. It took about 2 hours to fully cook. The finished turkey was tender and moist.. perfect. Not one complaint. The plastic baking bag really helped it retain all its moisture. No special seasonings that I could taste. Just a perfectly done turkey.

The following side dishes came packed in sealed STYROFOAM containers...
      • Chestnut & Sage Dressing (stuffing)
      --Nice zesty flavor, with pieces of innards mixed-in. Was a bit dry by itself, but with gravy over it.. excellent.
      • Home-made Mashed Potatoes
      --These were more plain than I had hoped. It was also a bit dry. I had to add my own butter and cream to liven it up.
      • Corn Chowder
      --Pretty good. A little too thick out of the container, so I thinned it with a little water. It had a bechemel sort of base (creamy). Overall good with the rest of the meal.
      • Giblet Gravy
      --Your basic gravy. Not bad, but not great. I poured the drippings from the finished turkey into the gravy pot and thickened it with some flour. That gave it a heck of alot more flavor.
      • Buttered Corn
      --Very sweet flavor.. lots of butter already in the mix. I prefer whole corn-on-the cob though.
      • Candied Yams
      --Sweet Potato.. candied yams... whatever it is.. it was excellent. I think they seasoned it with nutmeg and cinnamon.

• Rolls
      --Packed in a paper bag. 8 each. Nice sweet, buttery flavor. Very fresh. We warmed them a little in the toaster over. They also included single serving butter packets.. a nice touch.
      • Cranberry Relish
      -- Made from fresh Cranberries. Nice sweet and tang kick that complimented the turkey nicely.
      • Pumpkin Pie
      -- Whole, fresh-made, Ready to serve in its own plastic container. "Hotel Quality" texture and flavor. Great finish to the meal... I always add vanilla ice cream on mine!.

My main complaint is the packaging. Instead of packing all the side dishes that need reheating in STYROFOAM containers, they should pack EVERYTHING in ready-to-heat disposable foil containers. So you can simply unpack the box, throw everything in the oven at timed intervals, then forget about it.

Having to tranfer each side dish into individual pots makes it almost feel like you're still cooking the whole meal. The way it is now, you still have to "slave in the kitchen" to a degree, then wash pot after pot when you're finished eating. Hopefully someone will have a solution to this next year. The one that does will get my order.

Overall though, we had a fantastic feast which everyone enjoyed.

The turkey bones are already in the pot making stock for Jook.

Post edit: Forgot to mention.. the included instructions do mention that the meal may be microwaved. Yet its primary instructions focus on conventional oven and stove-top reheating method. IMO - if you're gonna' cook a T-T-G meal in a microwave, you may as well buy a frozen TV Dinner.
      Last edited by Pomai; November 25, 2005, 12:47 PM. Reason: The "Nukeelar" option
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
      X