Turkey-to-go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey-to-go

We're thinking of going the 'turkey-to-go' route this year instead of cooking our own bird. Has anyone tried any of the many hotels/restaurants, etc, which offer the 'turkeys-to-go'? Opinions on the good and bad if you've experienced any. Thanks in advance!

Re: Turkey-to-go

We've bought from Safeway for the past seven/eight years for both T-Day and Christmas. Easy, relatively cheap ($40 or so) and good. We augment with sweet potatos, peas, and jellied cranberry sauce (it comes with cranberry, but it's got fruit and whole berries, and too many of us are stuck on the kind we grew up with).
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by wifeofchrees
      We're thinking of going the 'turkey-to-go' route this year instead of cooking our own bird. Has anyone tried any of the many hotels/restaurants, etc, which offer the 'turkeys-to-go'? Opinions on the good and bad if you've experienced any. Thanks in advance!
      Yuppers. Last year.

PACIFIC BEACH HOTEL to be exact.

You basically call in your order by phone and pay by credit card. The meal we ordered costed $70 in advance, which feeds up to 6 people. It included a fully cooked turkey and all the fixinz in a gourmet style preparation.... like Li Hing Mui Cranberry Sauce. Yummy!

Everything is prepared the morning of Thanksgiving and stored in a refrigerated "Matson" container in the back access driveway of the hotel. You drive up, give them your name, and they give you a box full of the stuff.

You take it home and reheat everything as directed on the included insructions.

PBH did a FANTASTIC job. The turkey was moist and all the gourmet style fixinz tasted like it was home-made. Winnah!

If you don't feel like cooking (or cleaning up a messy kitchen), ready-to-eat TG dinners are the only way to go.

My friend tried Safeway's and also had good things to say.

Also heard good reviews about Zippy's Turkey Dinners-to-go.

Or, if it's only two of you, just buy Swanson's Turkey and Gravy TV Dinner for just about $4.00 each. Nothing wrong with that!
      Last edited by Pomai; November 5, 2005, 03:30 PM. Reason: Swanson
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I do the Sack 'n Save/Foodland full turkey dinner every year for Christmas...includes turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, dinner rolls and a pumpkin pie...for approx. $40. and it feeds 8-10. It truly is excellent. I add a salad and veggie.

Comment

Since Safeway got good reviews, that'll be our choice. There's a store about 1/2 mile down the road from us. Thanks all!

Comment

Paid $50 for our 25lb turkey last Thanksgiving from our local Shaws. It also came with gravy, potatoes, squash, macaroni salad and dinner rolls.
            Lovena

Comment

I tried Foodland one year and I didn't like it too much. Everything came in packages. I like a nice juicy roasted taste than some cold cut freezer section taste for thanksgiving turkey.

A place you may try is Molly's Smokehouse. Molly gets slammed with Turkey orders but your turkey will get to you roasted and warm, kinda like how a turkey comes out of the oven when you cook it .

Comment

Turkey-To-Go Heat & Serve Meals

HYATT REGENCY WAIKIKI
                Turkey-To-Go
                • Whole Roasted Butterball Turkey, 10-12 lbs.
                • Chestnut & Sage Dressing (stuffing),
                • Home-made Mashed Potatoes
                • Corn Chowder
                • Giblet Gravy
                • Buttered Corn
                • Rolls
                • Cranberry Relish
                • Candied Yams
                • Pumpkin Pie
                (808) 528-6066
                -----------------------------------
                TIMES SUPERMARKET/HILTON HAWAIIAN VILLAGE
                Turkey-To-Go
                • Whole Roasted Turkey, 12-14 lbs.
                • Dressing (stuffing)
                • Real Mashed Potatoes
                • Traditional Turkey Gravy
                • Cranberry Relish
                • Bouchon Dinner Rolls, 10 ea.
                • Times Homemade Pumpkin Pie
                Call nearest Times location
                ZIPPY'S
                Whole Turkey Package
                • Whole Roast Turkey, 8-10 lbs.
                • Stuffing, 4 lbs.
                • Real Mashed Potatoes, 4 lbs.
                • Poultry Gravy, 4 lbs.
                • Cranberry/Pineapple Relish, 1 lb.
                • Sweet Dinner Rolls, 1 dozen
                (808) 973-0880
                SAFEWAY
                Turkey Dinner
                • Full cooked Turkey, 10-12 lbs.
                • Homestyle Bread Stuffing, 2 lbs.
                • Creamy Mashed Potatoes, 3 lbs.
                • Homestyle Turkey Gravy, 24 oz.
                • Holiday Cranberry Sauce, 15 oz.
                • Dinner Rolls, 1 dozen
                • Pumkin Pie, 30 oz.
                CLUB PRICE
                Call nearest location
                Note: These were the only four T-T-G specials advertised in this Sunday's Honolulu papers. Pacific Beach Hotel - our choice from last year - was already sold out. So we placed our order with The Hyatt. A Catered Experience, an entity of Zippy's was offering basically the same thing for about $20 more, so it wasn't listed. Serving sizes vary based on weight of Turkey. Quantities are limited at most places, so hurry if you want yours reserved. There's quite a few restaurants advertising Dine-In Turkey dinners, which is another good option. Hope this helps.
                Last edited by Pomai; November 13, 2005, 11:46 AM. Reason: Added Times/HHV
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Slightly OT but still in the turkey day mode, has anyone seen whole turkey breast for sale? I'm looking around our neighborhood stores (admittedly Pearl City is not a nirvana of grocery choices, other than Japanese specialities) and no one has any. I will drive to buy if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by saigonwarrior
                    I tried Foodland one year and I didn't like it too much. Everything came in packages. I like a nice juicy roasted taste than some cold cut freezer section taste for thanksgiving turkey.
                    [...]
                    Sorry to hear you had a not-so-good experience. I assume, right or wrong , that the TTG dinners for all of the Foodlands and Sack 'n Saves come from the same place. Yes, everything does come in packages with a complete set of instructions for reheating. We did not experience the 'cold cut' taste at all and found the turkey wonderfully moist, juicy and tasty. One of my guests is a very, very finnicky eater...to the point that I don't invite them for dinner anymore! And, I'm not a bad cook, either! He loved the turkey and everything else . Ya coulda knocked me over with a feather!

At least there are lots of choices for those who don't want to go to all of the work...and several price options.

Comment

We found fresh whole turkey breasts at the Foodland on Beretania. They are also selling half turkeys and legs only for those looking for something smaller than a whole turkey. The cost for the turkey breast was just over $4/lb.

Comment

has anyone seen whole turkey breast for sale?
                        I'm headed for Safeway Waimalu in an hour or so; I'll look for whole Turkey bird breasts and come back to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                          I'm headed for Safeway Waimalu in an hour or so; I'll look for whole Turkey bird breasts and come back to you.
                          I have returned! Safeway has 'em in what appears to be 3-4 lb. size at $1.79/lb, although that may be the Safeway Club price. If so, I think it's $1.99/lb for non-members.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                            I have returned! Safeway has 'em in what appears to be 3-4 lb. size at $1.79/lb, although that may be the Safeway Club price. If so, I think it's $1.99/lb for non-members.
                            Thanks Linkmeister!Excellent news. I'm heading out now to the Waimalu store. BTW, the cost at Foodland Beretania was $2.59/lb not $4. Can't beat the Safeway price though and avoiding a trip to town - that's priceless!

Comment

Middle freezer aisle, bottom shelf.

Comment

Working...
                              X