Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Farrell's returning! Woo hoo!

Can't do these anymore, but, in the old days:

1) the "Pig Trough" (double banana split) was routine for me (let's give him a hand with a big "OINK!"); there was a sherbert version of it;

2) my roommate once consumed a "Mauna Kea" by himself;

3) he and I finished off a "Zoo" after being challenged (I ate 60% of it); what a gooey and totally sinful mess.

I wonder if they've kept the same names and treats, like STRAW-ANA, GIBSON GIRL, FUDG-ANA, KATHY'S PINK SURPRISE, HOT TIN ROOF, GOLD-DIGGER'S SUNDAE, etc.

And the prices: the "Zoo" initially was $9.95, rising to $19.50 by the time Farrell's left

Comment

You can read the menu on the site, too. I didn't see prices when I checked, however.
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

ah the gibson girl. that was my favorite part of their motif.

Comment

I loved the Clown Sundae when I was a kid. It's all I ever ordered, as far as the ice cream goes, even when I was an older kid. Keiki traditions can be hard to let go.

The Farrell's I went to was in Bellevue, Wash. It went away sometime in the mid-1970s, I think. I loved all the vintage photos and stuff all over the walls, and that whole miniature candy store right inside the entrance. Yum.

Comment

Mahalo for the SB update Erika.. I read (and savored) every Farrell-tastic word!

Windward Mall is probably a better location for business, but it would've been really nostalgically cool if they returned to their original home in Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center, where Times Coffee Shop now occupies.

Growing up in Alii Shores, I spent many-a-day after school in that Farrell's location playing Space Invaders, Pac Man and Galaxian in the back game room (dating myself here).

Before they built that Farrell's, it was Honey's Place (Don Ho's mom's club).

After Farrell's closed there in the 80's, it became Smitty's, then various other coffee shop tenants.

the new Farrell's party room's 25-person capacity (2 separate rooms available) in the Windard Mall location will certainly be discouraging for large parties. I doubt they'll let you rent the entire establishment.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I read the piece on the Star Bulletin this morning, I found it strange that at Windward Mall their location is close by to a Baskin & Robbins location.

Comment

wow, i think i posted about farrells in the disapearing thread. i remember the candy shop part the most. that and the drums and gong. was there a gong?

if i remember correctly, my first date was at farrells, when i was in intermediate.
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

For me its was the chocolate coke, mmmmmm... in da big glass you could take home

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
                    that and the drums and gong. was there a gong?
                    The Maui location had a large bass drum, a crank siren, and a bell (like a fire alarm bell).

Comment

great format. hope they keep the wild and crazy presentation like we all knew and loved.
                      (but i hope that lil girl didn't have a cold. otherwise i ain't eatin any of THAT ice cream.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeB2w9FOXTs

Kelly's birthday was actually three months ago. But what da hell. a lil white lie? free ice cream, she thought!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqd1vNgWGXw

Comment

Another important factor in Farrell's appeal is the SMELL of fun. The air conditioned combination of burgers and fries (which were pretty darn good), coffee and that thick, sugary aroma wafting from all the candy and ice cream in the in the joint.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Farrell's finally back for more fun
                          The Farrell's experience — a fond memory for legions of kama'aina — is no longer relegated to history. The popular family restaurant chain, which had been gone from Hawai'i for nearly 20 years, celebrates its reopening at Windward Mall today. A second location is slated to open early next year at Pearlridge Center, and more could follow.
                          Can't wait to check it out!

Saw a piece on KHON as well, but it was only sort of about Farrell's. It was by Linda Coble, who somehow decided to work Farrell's into a piece about low unemployment, job hunters, and looming labor strikes. I'm really starting to worry about her...

Gotta admit, though, the first thought that came to me when I saw the place on TV was, "That's far too sparse and well lit for a Farrell's!" You could somehow tell it used to be a McDonald's. The atmosphere was a big part of why folks loved Farrell's years ago, with the old-style booths and wood accents and Tiffany-style lamps and... sigh. Perhaps in a way, you never can go back again!

Though the Advertiser piece does mention some attention to decor, like a pseudo-trolley. Maybe they're still putting in the finishing touches.

Comment

After our annual NFL draft in Kaneohe, the Fantasy League of Eagle Alumni (FLEA) thought we'd grab dinner at the new Farrell's. It was just about 7:30, and not only was the Farrell's not open, the MALL wasn't open. Monday night at 7:30 and the mall is closed? I'm flabbergasted.

My friends and I went instead to Ruby Tuesday. NOT a fair trade.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I dunno... I saw it on the news tonight and it didn't remind me of the Farrell's of old at all. The workers looked the part but the nostalgic ambience just wasn't there. The wife and I will check it out some time this week.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                                Monday night at 7:30 and the mall is closed? I'm flabbergasted.
                                Maybe because it was a holiday? Missed opportunity for them, if so.

Comment

Working...
                                X