Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Telcom DSL

If your year contract is going to expire soon,you may not be notified. As they
    didn't have my e-mail address on file. I thought I was going to be rolled over.
    But I was not and I was placed back on month to month. I called up Hawaiian
    Telcom and renewed for another year at 29.95 {Month to month is 37.95}.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Dude,

You have to cut the company some slack. They are transitioning from Verizon and of course are experiencing many problems. Be patient, keep track of your accounts and everything will be straightened out. If you don't like it there is always the multiple straw, hacker friendly, Road Runner.

Comment

Originally posted by namikikam
      Dude,

You have to cut the company some slack. They are transitioning from Verizon and of course are experiencing many problems. Be patient, keep track of your accounts and everything will be straightened out. If you don't like it there is always the multiple straw, hacker friendly, Road Runner.
      I'm fully aware of the transition, you don't have to act like a dick about it.
      I'm happy with my Hawaiian Telcom DSL service. I just reupped for another
      year at 29.95. I would never go back to Road Runner. I posted what I posted for the benefit of other Hawaiian Telcom DSL customers.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
        I'm fully aware of the transition, you don't have to act like a dick about it.
        I'm happy with my Hawaiian Telcom DSL service. I just reupped for another
        year at 29.95. I would never go back to Road Runner. I posted what I posted for the benefit of other Hawaiian Telcom DSL customers.
        Thanks for the insult dude!

Comment

Why thank you for the insult too. I didn't appreciate it at all, as I was not complaining. I was just posting information that could help other people.
          But low and behold you come along and throw a monkey wrench into it.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

How can you check when your contract is up?
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
              How can you check when your contract is up?
              You have to call up Hawaiian Telcom and inquire. Mine was going to expire
              tomorrow. But I called them up about two weeks ago and renewed for
              another year.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

I recently got a call from the Advertiser asking my opinion about a letter that was written in criticizing Hawaiian Telcom's ad about DSL being dedicated verses RoadRunner being shared. The writer of the letter claimed that it's all shared and that the ad was hype and misleading. I told the Advertiser that from the DSL modem to the central office DSLAM (DSL aggregator) it is dedicated. Roadrunner is shared from your home in your neighborhood. The Advertiser decided to not run the letter and concluded that the letter's facts were unfounded.

What's your thoughts on DSL vs. cable modem and the straw wars?
                Check out Bytemarks the blog and Bytemarks the Yahoogroup

Comment

I hate to say it, but the Hawaiian Telcom DSL ads do reach into that
                  grey area. DSL and Cable modems are both sharing bandwith after
                  one point in the chain. Cable modems are sharing bandwith from your CPE,
                  DSL shares bandwith after your DSLAM line card in the central office.
                  So in one respect DSL avoids the neighbohood bottleneck until your
                  circuit reaches the DSLAM. After that your sharing bandwith with your
                  neighbors.

My real world experiences with both cable modem service and DSL. DSL
                  gets the upper hand with speed consistency. With Road Runner I never
                  noticed any speed consisentcy at all.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

As a computer tech....

HT DSL sucks, the service sucks. I lose money everytime I have to go to a customers house to troubleshoot whats wrong and have to end up waiting on the phone for 2 hours for them to tell me it is a dead router on thier end. Last time I helped them figure that out on the phone it was a defective router down the chain talking to the advanced tech. Isn't it obvious if you do a traceroute/ping and along the line there is a major packet loss there is something wrong? My also biggest gripe which I brought up with the head of the DSL dept is that I get no kick backs or brownie points for recommending thier service.

The only thing I find about RR is when you have a line problem it takes them too long to show up to fix it. and also the cable modems always burn out or overheat. AND they dont tell you they have upgraded the system and phasing out the old cable modems so the new equipment doesnt quite work with the old stuff. So everytime I get a call it is the first thing I ask: "What is the color of your cable modem box?" If you have a old CM box upgrade it to the new ones and the speeds will increase!!!

So I guess the best thing is subscribe to both and bridge them together, that way at least one of them will always be working?
                    Last edited by speedtek; December 25, 2005, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek
                      My also biggest gripe which I brought up with the head of the DSL dept is that I get no kick backs or brownie points for recommending thier service.
                      That's not a bad idea. Who's the head of the DSL dept? RR has started this Kupa`a Keyz program that gives kick backs for spending money at retail partner stores. Maybe HT needs to do something like that and give credits to people that recommend/refer customers to DSL service.

Comment

I don't think its fair to judge HT's service at this point. DSL tech support is
                        still being handled by Verizon Online for the time being along with e-mail and
                        newsgroups. Until HT is fully transitioned which won't be until next year
                        taking pot shots at them is unacceptable.

As customer of HT DSL, I couldn't be happier. Compare that to Road Runner
                        which I had for four years {Because there was no other broadband choice
                        where I lived}. Road Runner's customer service really sucked in comparision.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

I, too, expect things to be wonky in Hawaii Telcom land as the transition continues. I read somewhere that the back-office handoff had to be delayed to next year in part because HT wasn't ready, and in part because Verizon wasn't, either. And frankly, going from the local franchise of a huge, national company to just another locally operated (if not owned) business can't be easy.

I switched from Oceanic RoadRunner to DSL a few years ago, and don't have half the complaints I did with cable. I tend to say that it's harder to get set up with DSL than cable (since the latter is done for you), but once things are running, they stay running longer, at least in my experience, with DSL.

Comment

Orignally it was stipulated that it would be a 9 month transition period.
                            Which would've been around January-February 2006 approximately.
                            But as far as I understand they have 80 different information systems
                            they are trying to mold together to create a locally based backoffice
                            operation here. HT decided they need 2 months of additional testing
                            of these systems before the transition would be complete. That
                            two additional months of using Verizon's back office don't come cheap.
                            Verizon is raking in 4 million dollars.

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...8/daily52.html
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Wow, Aaron you are pretty up on the situation at HT. As I understand it, Bearing Point took on the task to complete the backoffice transition. It sounds like it is much more complex then originally thought. Thus the extension. HT really needs this transition to be complete. There won't be any new offerings until then since the current Verizon systems are frozen, ie no modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X