Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Anyone else wants Hitel to change their web mail system? If I remembered, a few customers complained about how its organized, and that its hard to report spam mesages. I didn't realized how bad it was when I started using it at the beginning of this month. (yes, I have outlook at home and on my laptop, but its a pain to secretly plug my laptop into the school's network to check my mail on outlook)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I finally got my Westell modem last week and today I was transferred to ATM. I can't believe how fast my HSI is
      Right now I'm downloading at 2567 mbps (920.0 Kbps) and uploading at 333 mbps (41.6 Kb)
      JasManiacs.com | Jasmine Mania For Maniacs

Comment

Anyone knows how to get a website going with them? With Verizon, they offered a personal website. But when I inquired to HiTel a few months before the transition, they said that they'll do the same like Verizon. But its been a few months, and all I see is a blogging service, but I can't login with either my HiTel info or my old Verizon info.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I had to "register" an account on Blogware or whatever through the window that popped up to get in, and in the end my username just ended up being "(HiTel parent username)hawaiiantelnet" and my regular password. Seemed a little pointless but I got in just the same. It's still just a blog, though.
          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Anyone noticed inconsistent speeds with their Hawaiian Tel DSL service ?
            Since 6-25-06, my speeds have dramatically dropped off. I've noticed other
            people in other forums mentioning trouble ? But I'm just trying to gage
            how widespread it is ?
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL Problems ?

This was the last time I got a decent speed test result :

2006-06-25 23:04:30 Speed test@ dslreports.linkline.com
              2572/744

This is what I got today and yesterday:

2006-07-01 01:59:33 Speed test @ www.sonic.net
              1440/713
              2006-07-01 01:54:07 Speed test @ lax.speedtest.dslextreme.com
              1738/701
              2006-07-01 01:52:43 Speed test @ dslreports-west2.speakeasy.net
              2011/701
              2006-07-01 01:51:18 Speed test @ dslreports.linkline.com
              1571/731
              2006-06-30 03:55:18 Speed test @ www.sonic.net
              1540/707
              2006-06-30 03:53:44 Speed test @ sjc.speedtest.dslextreme.com
              1079/699
              2006-06-30 03:08:31 Speed test @ lax.speedtest.dslextreme.com
              836/701
              2006-06-30 01:32:28 Speed test @ lax.speedtest.dslextreme.com
              1032/703
              2006-06-30 01:30:08 Speed test @ dslreports.linkline.com
              1304/742
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Aaron,

Have you tried the systemmetrics bandwidth test?

I know it's not as good as the ones on dslreports, but it'll at least help you pinpoint where the bottleneck is.

Since HiTel has a HIX connection now, you should get near linespeed using the SM tester.

Comment

Glad to see I'm not alone in wondering what happened!

This is what farnsworth.uhnet.net:7123 gave me (and note the time of this post):

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3a
                  click START to begin
                  Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
                  running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 388.36Kb/s
                  running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 622.72kb/s
                  Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem
                  Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link

Link set to Full Duplex mode
                  Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
                  Good network cable(s) found
                  Normal duplex operation found.
                  Web100 reports the Round trip time = 40.01 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and
                  There were 71 packets retransmitted, 60 duplicate acks received, and 101 SACK blocks received
                  The connection stalled 9 times due to packet loss
                  The connection was idle 2.23 seconds (18.58%) of the time
                  This connection is network limited 99.7% of the time.
                  Contact your local network administrator to report a network problem
                  Contact your local network admin and report excessive packet reordering
                  Excessive packet loss is impacting your performance, check the auto-negotiate function on your local PC and network switch
                  For reference, I have a 1.5/384 here in Kailua and normally get in the neighborhood of 1200-1300 kbps.
                  http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Originally posted by hinokei
                    Aaron,

Have you tried the systemmetrics bandwidth test?

I know it's not as good as the ones on dslreports, but it'll at least help you pinpoint where the bottleneck is.

Since HiTel has a HIX connection now, you should get near linespeed using the SM tester.
                    Can you send me a link to it, I would greatly appreciate it.

I've tried LavaNet's speedtest and didn't get really good results
                    (even when my connection was working)....Why that is important is...
                    I'm not sure how helpful the SM may be ?
                    Last edited by Konaguy; July 1, 2006, 04:13 PM.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

• Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Originally posted by Keith H.
                      Glad to see I'm not alone in wondering what happened!

This is what farnsworth.uhnet.net:7123 gave me (and note the time of this post):

For reference, I have a 1.5/384 here in Kailua and normally get in the neighborhood of 1200-1300 kbps.
                      Mahalo for the confirmation of poor speeds. I really do appreciate it.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

WEB100 Enabled Statistics:
                        Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
                        running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 387.74Kb/s
                        running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 958.02kb/s

------ Client System Details ------
                        OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
                        Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.4.2_05

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
                        Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
                        Link set to Full Duplex mode
                        Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
                        Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 47.31 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and
                        There were 85 packets retransmitted, 82 duplicate acks received, and 111 SACK blocks received
                        The connection stalled 4 times due to packet loss
                        The connection was idle 0.98 seconds (8.90%) of the time
                        This connection is network limited 99.68% of the time.
                        Contact your local network admin and report excessive packet reordering
                        Excessive packet loss is impacting your performance, check the auto-negotiate function on your local PC and network switch

My downstream rates have also decreased about 4 days ago. I have always been getting at least 1200kbps.

Comment

Aloha David,
                          Mahalo for the confirmation also.You can see my speed results here. They are admittedly very poor.

http://aaronstene.blogspot.com/2006/...-problems.html
                          http://aaronstene.blogspot.com/2006/...-problems.html

I did this morning using http://farnsworth.uhnet.net:7123/. I know it looks
                          normal, but look at the bold

Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
                          Link set to Half Duplex mode
                          No network congestion discovered.
                          Alarm: Duplex mismatch condition found: Host set to HD and Switch set to FD

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 44.84 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and
                          There were 57 packets retransmitted, 169 duplicate acks received, and 181 SACK blocks received
                          The connection stalled 1 times due to packet loss
                          The connection was idle 0.25 seconds (2.5%) of the time
                          This connection is network limited 99.64% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
                          RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
                          RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
                          RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
                          RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
                          RFC 1323 Window Scaling: OFF
                          Packet size is preserved End-to-End
                          Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
                          Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address Server says [72.234.155.178] but Client says [192.168.1.100]
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

I did these speedtests this morning.

2006-07-02 15:02:18 Speed test @ www.sonic.net
                            1837/705
                            2006-07-02 15:00:40 Speed test @ lax.speedtest.dslextreme.com 801/701 kbps
                            2006-07-02 14:58:29 Speed test @ dslr-west1.megapath.net
                            1721/693
                            2006-07-02 14:57:22 Speed test @ dslreports-west2.speakeasy.net 1812/700
                            2006-07-02 14:55:42 Speed test @ dslreports.linkline.com
                            1357/727
                            2006-07-02 05:28:11 Speed test @ lax.speedtest.dslextreme.com 1000/703 kbps
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Um - what does all that mean?

Are you testing the speed of HawnTelcom DSL?

Have you (like me) encountered a marked slowdown in recent weeks?

My Star-Bulletin-owned computer is on DSL ... well, lately I've been thinking it's on LSD ...

My personal Mac is on Roadrunner and the difference in performance is distinct.
                              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                                Um - what does all that mean?

Are you testing the speed of HawnTelcom DSL?

Have you (like me) encountered a marked slowdown in recent weeks?

My Star-Bulletin-owned computer is on DSL ... well, lately I've been thinking it's on LSD ...

My personal Mac is on Roadrunner and the difference in performance is distinct.
                                Yes I'm testing the speed of Hawaiian Tel DSL. Yes I've noticed a dramatic slowdown in speed. I haven't gotten decent speeds since 6-25-06. Evidently
                                I found out it is a congestion problem with Sprintlink and additional bandwidth
                                is on the way by Wednesday at the latest that will help alleviate the problem.
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X