Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Speeds still rock for me. It looks like the new bandwidth has not been cutover yet.Hopefully early next week.

2006-07-15 21:55:59 Speed test @ lax.speedtest.dslextreme.com 2499/727 kbps
    2006-07-15 21:54:26 Speed test @ www.sonic.net
    2688/695 kbps
    2006-07-15 21:52:46 Speed test @ dslreports-west2.speakeasy.net 2601/694 kbps
    2006-07-15 21:51:38 Speed test @ dslreports.linkline.com
    2549/744 kbps
    2006-07-15 21:49:29 Speed test @ dslr-west1.megapath.net
    2567/694 kbps

http://farnsworth.uhnet.net:7123/

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3a
    click START to begin
    Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
    running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 729.48Kb/s
    running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 2.90Mb/s
    Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Bleah. From the UH site:

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3a
      click START to begin
      running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 388.36Kb/s
      running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 431.17kb/s
      Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

My speeds were normal 3 days ago, and today I'm back where I was 2 weeks ago. I called HawaiianTel today and the techie said the problem's on my end, then the phone mysteriously went dead

And what's this talk about switching from frame to ATM? sounds like a plan. is it free? can they do this for us kauai customers?
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
          My speeds were normal 3 days ago, and today I'm back where I was 2 weeks ago. I called HawaiianTel today and the techie said the problem's on my end, then the phone mysteriously went dead

And what's this talk about switching from frame to ATM? sounds like a plan. is it free? can they do this for us kauai customers?

Do you have a Fujitsu DSL modem or a Westell DSL modem ? Fujitsu's
          are provisioned over frame relay and capped at 1.5Mbps. Westell's
          go over ATM and allow faster speeds. Not to mention Fujitsu's are a bit
          long in the tooth. I've read people having a lots of problems with disconnects
          with Fujitsu's.

Yes an upgrade can be done on Kauai (and statewide). The only question
          is if you'll qualify for 1.5Mbps or 3Mbps (depends on the distance). I'd try to
          call up Hawaiian Telcom again. Request a upgrade from frame to ATM.
          Explain to them you are having speed problems.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Thanks again Konaguy...

I'm on a Westell 2100. Does it cost more to go to ATM?

Has anyone else been told by the techie to use ONLY the phone line that came with the modem? The techie I talked to said that they issued the highest-quality phone lines (round as opposed to the flat store-bought ones), and those are the only ones that should be used with their DSL modems...I've been on DSL for like 6 or 7 years, and God knows what happened to that original phone line.
            Last edited by Mike_Lowery; July 15, 2006, 08:32 PM.
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Has anyone else been told by the techie to use ONLY the phone line that came with the modem? The techie I talked to said that they issued the highest-quality phone lines (round as opposed to the flat store-bought ones), and those are the only ones that should be used with their DSL modems...I've been on DSL for like 6 or 7 years, and God knows what happened to that original phone line.
              That sounds like nonsense to me. And I'm pretty sure I never got any such thing as a "round" phone line. I got a modem, half-a-dozen filters, and maybe one or two other items in that box, but I sure don't remember a "round" phone line. I've never used anything but flat.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Thanks again Konaguy...

I'm on a Westell 2100. Does it cost more to go to ATM?

Since you have Westell 2100, you are already on ATM.

That is bull about wire thing
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                  Keith, just curious do you have a Westell or Fujitsu DSL modem ?
                  Westell 2100.
                  http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                    I haven't heard anything yet. I didn't actually get a trouble ticket number, either.
                    FWIW, the guy I talked to called me back about five minutes later and gave me mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                      That sounds like nonsense to me. And I'm pretty sure I never got any such thing as a "round" phone line. I got a modem, half-a-dozen filters, and maybe one or two other items in that box, but I sure don't remember a "round" phone line. I've never used anything but flat.
                      And for what it's worth, I actually do have a round line attached to my modem, and in turn it's attached to about two flat extension cords daisy-chained to my wall jack. And it's worked great...until three weeks ago, that is.

And since we're all here complaining about the same thing, I think it's safe to say it's not the cords.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith H.
                        Westell 2100.
                        Mahalo, very good you are provisioned over ATM. Fujitsu=Bad
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

2:08AM I tested my connection.

WEB100 Enabled Statistics:
                          running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 387.97Kb/s
                          running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 828.98kb/s

------ Client System Details ------
                          OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
                          Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.5.0_02

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
                          Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
                          Link set to Full Duplex mode
                          Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
                          Good network cable(s) found
                          Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 48.57 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
                          There were 71 packets retransmitted, 63 duplicate acks received, and 99 SACK blocks received
                          The connection stalled 2 times due to packet loss
                          The connection was idle 0.49 seconds (4.45%) of the time
                          This connection is network limited 99.69% of the time.
                          Contact your local network administrator to report a network problem
                          Excessive packet loss is impacting your performance, check the auto-negotiate function on your local PC and network switch

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
                          RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
                          RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
                          RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
                          RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
                          RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
                          Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
                          Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
                          Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
                          Server says [72.234.68.190] but Client says [192.168.1.45]

ehhh. No change. Hey Konaguy, didnt you say something about a bandwidth increase next week? Hopefully that will increase the bandwidth to make worth what I actually pay for.
                          I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Comment

Did some research about the CO distances in my area using the dslreports CO finder.
                            I checked up on my 674 number and got this.
                            Forum PKAPHIXA: Post!
                            Telco: VERIZON HAWAII INC. - HI
                            Address: 91595 FARRINGTON HWY

get a mapquest MAP
                            Serves:
                            808-674 808-692 808-693
                            On the CO map I find two CO's closer to my home:
                            Forum MKLOHICO: Post!
                            Address: 92815 NOHOHALE ST

get a mapquest MAP
                            Serves:
                            808-672
                            Which happens to be up the hill from us. And:
                            Forum BRPTHICO: Post!
                            Address: FARRINGTON HWY & BARBERS POINT

get a mapquest MAP
                            Serves:
                            808-673 808-682 808-690
                            Which is actually in my backyard. Kind of.

My question is, why would HawaiianTel connect the 674 numbers (Kapolei) to someplace farther than those two CO's (instead of Waipahu)? It seems that people living in Barbers Point[673] and Makakilo[672] would definitely have faster speeds than us people just a few blocks away in Kapolei with a 674 number. The Co's for Makakilo and Barbers point are in the same area, so why not connecting Kapolei to one of those two instead of Waipahu?

Can I request everyone check their CO Locations and post it here? Maybe its in a messed up area also. http://www.dslreports.com/coinfo
                            Last edited by PBatoon; July 16, 2006, 02:39 AM.
                            I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickBABOON
                              ehhh. No change. Hey Konaguy, didnt you say something about a bandwidth increase next week? Hopefully that will increase the bandwidth to make worth what I actually pay for.

Yes, as far as what was told me there was supposed to be new bandwidth
                              added late last week. But that obviously did not happen. They were going
                              to split the cutover of bandwidth (with part it being installed last week
                              and the other part this coming up week).

I have my doubts that the bandwidth is going to be helping your situation.
                              The speedtest results you are getting are via server at UH Manoa. Which
                              is only 6 hops away via local HiX peering. It is a local loop issue...Has
                              that person I referred you to contacted you ?
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickBABOON
                                Did some research about the CO distances in my area using the dslreports CO finder.
                                I checked up on my 674 number and got this.

On the CO map I find two CO's closer to my home:
                                Which happens to be up the hill from us. And:
                                Which is actually in my backyard. Kind of.

My question is, why would HawaiianTel connect the 674 numbers (Kapolei) to someplace farther than those two CO's (instead of Waipahu)? It seems that people living in Barbers Point[673] and Makakilo[672] would definitely have faster speeds than us people just a few blocks away in Kapolei with a 674 number. The Co's for Makakilo and Barbers point are in the same area, so why not connecting Kapolei to one of those two instead of Waipahu?

Can I request everyone check their CO Locations and post it here? Maybe its in a messed up area also. http://www.dslreports.com/coinfo

It could be possible that those closer Central Offices were built after the
                                one you were connected to ? or there wasn't enough space at those COs.
                                Also bear in mind the map you are looking at shows physical central office
                                building locations. It does not show the remote terminals which expand
                                the reach of these central offices.
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X