Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Sorry for not clarifying. I have 4 phone jacks total, each set up for different numbers. I have 1 phone jack in my living room, and 1 in each of my 3 bedrooms

I'll call up Hawaiian Telcom when I have the time (I get home from work at 5:30 almost every day). Anyways I appreciate your help guys. Mahalo!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Sobel
      I just found this (hawaiithreads) web site by accident, but I'd like to add my experience to the discussion.

I live in Princeville, Kauai. Verizon DSL got here before Cable so I wen't with DSL (about 2 years ago). Performance never exceeded 700Kbps (measured with Verizon's infospeed.verizon.net) Then I had two months-long bouts of inability to connect during evening hours. Mainland Verizon help INSISTED it was not load related - separate straws, etc. - Even though my neighbors generally had no such problems (and much faster DSL speeds too). A VERY helpful local Hawaiian Telcom rep FINALLY admitted it was load related and there was no quick easy fix, though they did eventually eliminate the disconnects and refund two months fees. Even with the newer 3Mbps DSL service, I never saw more than 700Kbps.

I switched to Cable two months ago. Speeds vary of course but are CONSISTENTLY over 3Mbps, often in the 4-4.5Mbps range and NEVER lower than 1.5Mbps. No outages or hiccups yet.

I have polled about 10 DSL/Cable subscribers on this island (all using the same verizon speed test). On Kauai at least, Cable is "mo better" by a speed factor of 2-6 TIMES.

So, I too feel the Hawaiian Telcom adds about separate straws are, at best, misleading.

ps - I went with Earthlink Cable rather than direct thru Oceanic Time Warner. Earthlink was $3.00 cheaper per month, had ZERO install fee (vs. if I recall, $50 or $75 from Oceanic). Oceanic reps admitted that the bandwidth will be tha same either way.

That's my story.
      what are your monthly fees for Earthlink cable?

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy
        what are your monthly fees for Earthlink cable?
        I believe its 41.95 a month if you order directly from Earthlink, 44.95 if you
        go through Oceanic Time Warner Cable.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Does anyone know whether it's feasible to use WinFax (in Win XP) for receiving faxes when you're on DSL? The help pages for WinFax say no, but I'm not sure I trust them.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

never mind Cable vs DSL, they both have their good points, and their bad points. Hey, my friend bitches up and down about DSL! His service was down for two weeks!

What we should do is start emailing our city council members and tell them the citizens of Honolulu want free Wireless access, like some of these other cities across America are doing. Of Course Verison, Time/Warner etc, etc.. would be screaming...but who cares about them? With the proper push we could get movement on this going sooner than later...maybe?

Comment

Forget WiFi.. fiber to the home is what I want
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                Forget WiFi.. fiber to the home is what I want
                Just wanted to say Hi! Aaron!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                  Just wanted to say Hi! Aaron!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

The Kona Blog

Comment

I have Hawaiian Telcom DSL.

Everything is working fine since the initial changeover.

My question?
                    How do I create a Blog?
                    Does Hawaiian Telcom have something set up through them?
                    Or do I go to a certain place online?

Thanks for any help and ideas that you can give me.

"Menehune Man's World" needs to be born.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man

My question?
                      How do I create a Blog?

If you log into Hawaiian Tel Portal , click on OhanaNet and you can setup a Blogware account
                      or you can use Blogger.You can do a Google search for other Blogging sites.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Mahalos Aaron!
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                          I have Hawaiian Telcom DSL.

Everything is working fine since the initial changeover.

My question?
                          How do I create a Blog?

Thanks for any help and ideas that you can give me.

"Menehune Man's World" needs to be born.
                          Menehune Man, All you had to do was ask Ryan or me. Ryan is my Webmasta when I first started Blogging at hawaiistories.com ~ our sister site. I can also set you up with your own Blog under AuntiePupule.com with your own title. You can do all what you see on mine at http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog

Auntie Lynn

BTW: It's FREE!!!
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Menehune Man, as Aunty Lynn notes, I'd be happy to set you up with a blog alongside other local storytellers at HawaiiStories. LavaNet is also hosting blogs for free. Blogger is a good option, too, and they're just about to unroll an entirely new system that's a significant improvement over the current one (which was built by another company and stagnated somewhat after Google bought it).

Sounds like a separate thread devoted to comparing various blogging services might be in order... I'd just posted a little about a new one called Vox.

Hawaiian Telcom isn't in the blogging business... and considering the way things are going now, that's perhaps a good thing.
                            Last edited by pzarquon; August 16, 2006, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              Menehune Man, as Aunty Lynn notes, I'd be happy to set you up with a blog alongside other local storytellers at HawaiiStories. LavaNet is also hosting blogs for free. Blogger is a good option, too, and they're just about to unroll an entirely new system that's a significant improvement over the current one (which was built by another company and stagnated somewhat after Google bought it).

Sounds like a separate thread devoted to comparing various blogging services might be in order... I'd just posted a little about a new one called Vox.

Hawaiian Telcom isn't in the blogging business... and considering the way things are going now, that's perhaps a good thing.

Yes HawTel is not in blogging business, but they do offer a value added blogging service through Blogware

As for Blogger Since Google owns Blogger now, they are adding new services to Blogger. But to take advantage of them you have re-build your account around your Google Gmail account. I just did this on Monday, as they are going to force everyone to do it in a few months.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

any gamers using hawaiian telcom? my rr has always been shabby and now i have someone else using the connection and i tell you, he must be downloading the world. since he moved in, my ping has shot thru the roof and im considering hawaiian tel.
                                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                                X