Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Finally, I can compare between RR and Hitel, and let me tell you, its like night and day.

I tested RR on a friend's computer while I was downloading some spybot updates, and it took much too long to download an update that was 1.3mb big at 7:15pm. I felt like I was on dialup, when I saw the RR mousepad on her computer, and I just laughed. I just updated spybot on my computer about 15 minutes later, and the download happend in less than a minute (that's while having four other computers).

I don't care about the numbers or commercials, the only test for me is real life!
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Spybot is a poor choice for speed tests and comparisons. Their update servers appear to be overloaded. About 50% of the time I can't get updates - either by DSL or Cable.

Comment

Sigh.... (I'm on Oahu BTW)

Times like this is when Road Runner is better known as Roadkill Walker.... browsing the web has felt like watch the text scroll on a dialup BBS via a 300 baud acoustic coupler.

Really, the situation here in Hawaii is pretty useless given the lack of real competitive players. Now broadband in Japan rules. Places like Yahoo BB!, ODN, OCN, etc always advertise in fliers or at places like Yodobashi prices lower than the promos on their sites (or waive the misc sign up fees). Example: Current ODN ADSL promo http://www.odn.ne.jp/course/adsl/index.html which is essentially;

40Mbit 3,024 yen/month
        24Mbit 2,814 yen/month
        1Mbit 1,942 yen/month

FTTH build out is also growing. 100Mbit fiber optical averages around $58 USD per month after the initial signup fees. In store sign up specials or campaign fliers being handed out in Akihabara or outside train stations also brings that cost down closer to $35 USD per month. Moving HD mpeg2 transport streams from the DVR to/from friends was really fast. How I miss those days.

I think I'll move back there soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Sobel
          Spybot is a poor choice for speed tests and comparisons. Their update servers appear to be overloaded. About 50% of the time I can't get updates - either by DSL or Cable.
          Well, that was the only thing I had available on both computers. And I didn't want to bust out some program just to test speeds out of the blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravel Trail Crawler
            Really, the situation here in Hawaii is pretty useless given the lack of real competitive players.

Hawaii is just a microcosm of what is going on throughout the United States.
            Sure ILEC's are rolling out FTTH in selected parts of the mainland. But its not
            like whats going on in Japan or South Korea like you mentioned. One thing to
            bear in mind though is countries like Japan are much smaller than US thus
            its cheaper to run fiber-optics universally throughout the country.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Did anyone's DSL speed got faster?

I noticed that Hawaiian Telcom upgraded our speeds when I downloaded a big file in 3 minutes (usually it takes me 10 minutes). I did a speed test, and I was rated at 3mbps!

Now I will never complain about HiTel (unless the DSL will go down, but hopefully because they'll upgrade the lines)

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                Did anyone's DSL speed got faster?

I noticed that Hawaiian Telcom upgraded our speeds when I downloaded a big file in 3 minutes (usually it takes me 10 minutes). I did a speed test, and I was rated at 3mbps!

Now I will never complain about HiTel (unless the DSL will go down, but hopefully because they'll upgrade the lines)

Out of curiousity, did you have 1.5Mbps DSL before ?
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                  Out of curiousity, did you have 1.5Mbps DSL before ?
                  I think so.

If I remember correctly, that was the highest we had, then somehow it went down for a few months.

I'm just so happy that we have this speed all to ourselves!

Comment

Remember me? The guy who dropped Hawaiian Telcom DSL because in two years I never saw download speeds in excess of 700Kbps?

I just helped a friend install the same service 2 blocks away from my house.

3000Kbps.

(On second thought, maybe I should not post this "advertisement" for DSL. I spent ALOT of time with them and they never were able to help me.)

Any comments from Hawaiian Telcom would be quite welcome.

Comment

If that is the case, there was definately an impairment on your phone line
                      to the central office. Like I said its too late to see if that was the case
                      since you already dropped the service. As Westell DSL modems
                      show the line statistics and signal strength on your line.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Hawaiian Telcom DSL Is Numba 1!

I recieve fast service from the Innovative Team everytime!

...I've had no problems since installation. Everything runs smoothly and FAST!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Yeah, no problems for me, either. By June, I'll have had it for one year, and so far I haven't had any problems. I've heard lots and lots of horror stories, though.
                          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

From my view in regards to Cable vs DSL.

Cable :

Pros :
                            1. Much easier qualification process
                            2. No distance limitation
                            3. More overall bandwith to the customer

Cons :
                            1. Bandwith is shared with everyone on the node

DSL:
                            Pros:
                            1.You have a dedicated circuit between you and the CO.
                            2. More consistent throughput than cable

Cons:
                            1. Hit or miss qualification process. Many variables come into
                            play when provisioning a DSL circuit
                            2. 18,000 wire feet distance limitation
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

I have HT DSL in the office and at home. Once up and running it's been fine. The only problem I encountered was a bad wireless router. My office service was effective on Dec. 5 and it was late January before I had it working. I spent 3 phone calls at over one hour each trying to troubleshoot the problem. Finally a bad router was diagnosed. The new router was sent to a non-existant address. The broken router was sent to the right one. Go figure! Come to think of it...contacting the 800 number I've learned to put aside a full hour to get an answer to any question. They're forever connecting me to wrong extensions where I have to reiterate the problem in it's entirety before they tell me that I have the wrong dept.!!! Maybe that's just a transitional problem.

Comment

While on the topic of Hawaiian Telcom DSL, does anyone know how to get newsfeeds on HT DSL? I have a customer that was on Verizon DSL and all he does all day long is sit in the newsgroups. Once he got converted to HT DSL, he complaining that there is no more access to the newsgroups.

Does anyone know? Thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X