Best Fish ?? Seafood ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Fish ?? Seafood ?

What is the best fish and seafood you've had ?

I like the steamed Opakapaka w lime on top ...

Re: Best Fish ?? Seafood ?

Steam Kumu with ginger, garlic shoyu, seaseme oil green onion and parsely!

Seafood Stew Korean Style ~~~ Da bess!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

• Steamed Monchong topped with Lup Cheong and Chinese Ginger Pesto - my kitchen

• Sauteed Opakapaka with Garlic-Basil Butter Sauce - Nick's Fishmarket Waikiki

• Fresh Ahi Sashimi sliced thin over bed of cabbage and choke wasabi in da' shoyu - my kitchen

• Fish N' Chips (Ono) - Alexander's in Kihei, Maui

• Shrimp Tempura - Hanaki in Manoa Market Place

• New England Clam Chowdah' - Progresso Canned Soup variety (add Soda Crackers a must!)
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        [...]• Fresh Ahi Sashimi sliced thin over bed of cabbage and choke wasabi in da' shoyu - my kitchen[...]
        Oh...yummmmm!
        And I wouldn't turn down abalone sauted in garlic butter with a sqeeze of lemon.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

And I wouldn't turn down abalone sauted in garlic butter with a sqeeze of lemon.
          Abalone? Real abalone? I haven't had REAL abalone in decades! Do the supermarkets still sell their cans of real abalone and Alaskan King Crab from out of a secured area?

Comment

steamed clams from the Ark in Nahcotta

Copper River or Yukon salmon at Stanley's in Tacoma

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
              Abalone? Real abalone? I haven't had REAL abalone in decades! Do the supermarkets still sell their cans of real abalone and Alaskan King Crab from out of a secured area?
              I think the last time I had abalone was at Nick's Fishmarket, around 1978! I was raised on the fresh stuff straight from the ocean (SoCal). Family friends loved to skin dive and would always come up with a bag full of abs. I always got to keep one shell! The remaining shells went to another friend who owned a souvenir shop!

I remember my parents pounding the meat almost paper thin, giving them a light flour dusting then sauteing (sp?) in garlic butter. Whatta feast! And, free! Check out:
              http://www.abalonefarm.com/order.htm

I wasn't aware of what the supermarkets did/do!

Comment

[QUOTE=lurkah]
                There is a store ewa of the Oahu Market on Hotel Street that sells live abalone when available. It's the store that usually have live frogs near the door.

Comment

Check out: http://www.abalonefarm.com/order.htm

1 lb. Gift Pack for shipping within the continental U.S.

The 1 lb. Gift Pack includes 1 lb net weight of tenderized, vacuum packed abalone steaks, 4 cleaned abalone shells and recipes. $105.00 each includes overnight delivery.
                  Serves 2-4 people.
                  Egads. 1 lb. of abalone at $105.00/lb. (they can keep those inedible shells and recipes -- sprinkle some Kikkoman shoyu, nuff ), and that 1 lb. is supposed to serve 2-4 people? They must have Munchkins in mind. Looks like I'll be going without eating abalone for decades more to come. I used to buy dried abalone cheap in large, round chunks and then shave bite-sized pieces off using a pocket knife. How ancient I must sound.

Comment

Egads. 1 lb. of abalone at $105.00/lb. (they can keep those inedible shells and recipes -- sprinkle some Kikkoman shoyu, nuff ), and that 1 lb. is supposed to serve 2-4 people?
                    Amazing, huh? And as I mentioned earlier, all the abalone I ate as a kid was free, compliments of the ocean! I'd still love a shell, tho'...but not at those prices!

Comment

Jaws Loves Abalone Too

Egads. 1 lb. of abalone at $105.00/lb.]-----------[ I used to buy dried abalone cheap in large, round chunks and then shave bite-sized pieces off using a pocket knife. How ancient I must sound.
                      My father used to buy Dried Abalone when they traveled to Hong Kong, where it was cheaper than bubble gum. That stuff is tough to cut (shave)!

The cold waters off northern California are popular for Abalone Diving.. and also populated with Great White Sharks! In one well-publicized incident, a diver was decapitated by a Great White while diving for Abalone.

No wonder the locally caught stuff is so expensive!
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Jaws Loves Abalone Too

[...]The cold waters off northern California are popular for Abalone Diving.. and also populated with Great White Sharks! In one well-publicized incident, a diver was decapitated by a Great White while diving for Abalone.

No wonder the locally caught stuff is so expensive!
                        For us insomniacs here......the link referenced earlier is to an abalone farm so no shark danger. Rather, additional 'manufacturing' costs involved in growing those delicacies. And to think abalone used to be a staple in my diet! Ditto for freshly caught lobster...another comfort food.

Comment

Kona Loves Abalone Too

For us insomniacs here...
                          Tell me about it.

Look what I found!...
                          http://www.bigislandabalone.com
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Uhu stuffed with lupcheong and/or portuguese sausage, mayo, all the good stuff. Steamed or baked... no matter.

Or, a freshly speared or netted kala thrown directly on the hibachi. No need to clean... just don't bust the stomach sac when picking meat from it....yummy.

Comment

Re: Kona Loves Abalone Too

Tell me about it.

Look what I found!...
                              http://www.bigislandabalone.com
                              I meant to post that url too but, well, I fell asleep.
                              Finally...

Comment

Working...
                              X