Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Food Network

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb The Food Network

This is the thread to talk anything and everything about The Food Network!

Talk about your favorite shows and chefs. Or complain about those that set your kitchen on fire.

The Food Network has become an icon of modern American television and an incredible source of learning the world of culinary arts.

Have fun!

http://www.foodtv.com
    Last edited by Pomai; November 16th, 2005 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added URL

Default Re: The Food Network

To start, a few of my favorites...

Molto Mario
    - Mario Batali's knowledge of the various cooking styles by region in Italy is captivating. His cooking is rustic and authentic. His delivery educational, yet witty. Excellent in every way.

Good Eats
    - Alton Brown's entertainment approach to food science is brilliant.

Unwrapped
    - It's like reliving elementary school excursions to the local food factory in every episode.

Paula's Home Cooking
    - Southern comfort food. Paula Deen's personality. Winner.
    Last edited by Pomai; November 16th, 2005 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Clarified list

I love the Food Network!

Emeril Live is my Favorite

I also love Racheal Ray and how she loves cooking food for her "Sweetie" with a lot of EVOO!

I miss David Rosengarten's Taste. He started out kinda stiff, but relaxed and became a really fun host. What happened to him, anyway?

I was just thinking about Rosengarten the other day. At the time, I wasn't crazy about him, but for some reason, I kind of miss him. He was so articulate and funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
    I miss David Rosengarten's Taste. He started out kinda stiff, but relaxed and became a really fun host. What happened to him, anyway?
    Me too. David Rosengarten had class. Cool set too, with the simple stainless steel counters and shelves. He was articulate about wine pairing, which was different than the other shows at the time.

His webpage tells alot about him here...
    http://www.davidrosengarten.com/cont...ype=site&id=12

Also, what happened to East Meet West with Ming Tsai? Poor ratings? He was good, except a little on the complex side.

Bobby Flay looked humiliated when Ming Tsai beat him on Iron Chef America. Good for him.

Bobby Flay.. arrgggghhhh.

Ming has his own show on PBS now. I like his PBS show much better because Ming has a way of explaining things that isn't well suited to a show with commercials. It's so easy to lose track of Ming's progress when there are commercials every five minutes. It's way easier to follow him now.

I don't mind Bobby. He's kind of cocky, but he's mellowed a lot. His apprearance on Iron Chef America when he went against Morimoto was so embarrassing. He was really obnoxious.

I don't know what happened to Rachael. She's so weird now. If you watch her shows from a few years ago, she's really normal-looking and much more collected and easygoing. She's so hyper and her movements are so over-exaggerated in the last couple years. I think she's working too hard.

Today on How to Boil Water, Tyler Florence teaches how to BRINE a turkey.

This is the secret to a flavorful, moist and tender roasted turkey.

Basically you need to dissolve salt and sugar in boiling water, let it cool, then place the turkey in the brine water and let it go overnight.

See the Food Network website for exact procedure.

For us, we're not worried. The Hyatt's got ours covered (pun intended).

We've been brining pork for quite awhile now and it really helps keep the meat juicy during cooking. We like to add other seasonings including cracked black pepper corns, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. A not so tasty experiment was the fish sauce based brine - I overdid the fish sauce.

I think I'll brine the turkey this year (no luck finding the whole turkey breast, bummer).

BTW, has anyone seen that new woman who cooks everything in a crock pot? Slightly disturbing but the food looks good. I have a fear of leaving small appliances plugged in for hours - probably an irrational fear.

Quote Originally Posted by glossyp
    [...] BTW, has anyone seen that new woman who cooks everything in a crock pot? Slightly disturbing but the food looks good. I have a fear of leaving small appliances plugged in for hours - probably an irrational fear.
    I go thru phases with crockpot cooking. I'm not one to leave the house for 8-10 hours with the crockpot on but as long as I'm home or at least in and out during the day, I'm not concerned. I have yet to burn down this concrete block structure!

Default Gingerbread Houses, Island Style

They're re-running a Gingerbread "House" competition.

My favorite is the one that was like a wedding cake, sliced 1/3 out with an "Elf's House" sticking out back. Cool concept!

This show had me thinking how cool it would be to do one on Hawaii. Gingerbread "houses" based on Hawaii landmarks. Such as, Aloha Tower, Iolani Palace and State Capitol. That kinda' stuff.

Every island has so many interesting landmarks to inspire Gingerbread "houses".

I think it was a couple of years ago... there was a show where most of the hosts were inside each creating a holiday dish and they had Bobby Flay grilling outside in the snow... they only cut to him just to laugh at him it seems.

Been enjoying Alton's special spinoff series, "Feasting on Asphalt." It's another side of Alton, a little less scripted, a little more real. Traveling coast to coast on two wheels (can't imagine he'll hop a plane to Hawaii, sadly) to sample road food, homestyle cooking, eschewing interstates for Route 66. Gotta say, his elevator pitch for the show sounds a bit like the "highways and byways" stuff from "Cars." The Mac nerd in me loves that he's using some familiar Apple templates in editing the show. Apparently, the next episode is the one where he takes a bit of a spill!

We're big fans of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations." Okay, it's not Food Network, but he started there (and hated it!). Grumpy, snarky, chain-smoking New Yorker wanders often obscure international locations in search of a place's soul through its food. And it turns out an upcoming episode will be pretty unusual -- he was in Lebanon the week fighting broke out.

RAINBOW DRIVE-IN on Kapahulu ave. was recently featured on THE SECRET LIFE OF... DRIVE-INS with Jim O'Connor. He toured the kitchen with owner Mr. Gusukuma, where he was explained the basics of a plate lunch, made note of their famous Rainbow Royal Burger then given a sample of their popular Loco Moco bowl.

After watching this on TV back home in the states, imagine the tourists coming in and asking, "May I have one of them Laka Maka's".

FEASTING ON ASPHALT is fun too. Funny how Alton's insistent on using props, like that pull-down US Map Chart. He seems to like playing do-it-yourself cameraman in this series.
    Last edited by Pomai; August 14th, 2006 at 08:58 AM. Reason: wrong show name

If you're reading this right now (Sat. 4:17pm), turn it quick to the Food Network!

There's a food challenge called FLYING KNIVES, a Teppenyaki challenge.

3 local boys are competing and 2 mainland guys...

- Kevin Matsuda - Mililani
    - Nick Norimatsu - Honolulu
    - Kalae Tanaka - Wailuku, Maui
    - Lam Ha Minneapolis, Minnesota
    - Cavin Ross - South Lake, California

It was filmed at hotel on the big island. They should re-air it again some time. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    If you're reading this right now (Sat. 4:17pm), turn it quick to the Food Network!

There's a food challenge called FLYING KNIVES, a Teppenyaki challenge.

3 local boys are competing and 2 mainland guys...

- Kevin Matsuda - Mililani
    - Nick Norimatsu - Honolulu
    - Kalae Tanaka - Wailuku, Maui
    - Lam Ha Minneapolis, Minnesota
    - Cavin Ross - South Lake, California

It was filmed at hotel on the big island. They should re-air it again some time. Pretty cool.
    That aired up here last week. Sure was windy! I'm surprised the chefs were able to catch any shrimps in their hats! Gotta try that egg cracking trick...

Miulang

Correction: His name is Nick Narimatsu (not Norimatsu). Omedeto Gozaimasu!

Also, it's Teppanyaki (not teppenyaki).

Food Network link (including broadcast times and photos): Flying Knives
    Last edited by Pomai; February 3rd, 2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Link it

The 1st Annual Food Network Awards was pretty good. I can see this eventually becoming as big as MTV's VMA.

The nominees in the "Playing with Food" category were amazing. The "Macaroni Monet" was my favorite.

What do you folks think of Simply Delicioso?

Ingrid Hoffman is cute. I really like her personality. I'd date her. Only thing I DON'T like is that the show is rather overproduced. Would be better if they made it more cut and dry (not her, the show). lol In a "backyards of Mexico" kind of way.

Her slight accent sooo reminds me of this Filipina I work with. Very sexy.

I'm so far behind on my thread reading/posting -- and on my Food Network viewing as well. And on my housecleaning as well ... but those are other stories.

Just thought, after reading through this thread, that I'd share a link to recipes from Hari's Kitchen (Hari Kojima), Hawaii's Kitchen, Sam Choy's cooking show and the Taste of Puna ... (I've not seen any pakalolo recipes therein, FYI).

http://www.suresave.com/

I'd heard about the Web site before, but never went there -- and actually stumbled on it recently in the course of doing research for a column. Now THAT'S what I call serendipity!

I believe Chef Sam's recipes are linked on the KHNL Web site and that the other TV stations' Web sites probably have recipe links too ... I just thought given the discussion of Hari, Sam, etc., this would be a good place for that link.

Also, Roy Yamaguchi DID have a series on PBS -- not just on KHET, either. I THINK it was called, "Hawaii Cooks, with Roy Yamaguchi," though I might not have it quite right. I could not find the show listed at pbs.org ... so it may no longer be running.

I believe Bev Gannon, an original member of the dozen of culinarians, etc., who made up Hawaii Regional Cuisine Inc. (along with Choy, Roy, Shep Gordon, etc.), appeared WITH JULIA CHILD on one of her shows on PBS. You can do a search and find it (I'd recommend using Gannon's name -- as searching for Julia Child's name would yield TONS of results). Maybe it was Amy Ferguson-Ota -- who I've also written about lately. Boy, it's hard to keep a cluttered brain straight.
    Last edited by Erika Engle; August 11th, 2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Typo, punctuation.
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    What do you folks think of Simply Delicioso?
    Yes, she's hot. Seriously hat. Mui picante, or something like that. And yes, the show is slightly overproduced in the way that Everyday Italian is -- someone told me they shoot one episode of Giada's show per day, where Rachael Ray does a whole week's worth in a day.

Hoffman's delivery is a lot more like Ray's, full of little idiosyncrasies, such as the tendency to refer to every ingredient as "these guys."

I would love to see her dial it down a few levels; maybe not quite as mellow as Ina Garten (whom I just love), but maybe just a little north of Giada.

Her recipes are very appealing; I've wanted to try and make just about everything I've seen her cook, including some cool drinks.

All in all, I don't think I especially like this show, but if it's on I'll watch it. Instead of listing the dishes she prepares in the program guide, though, maybe the station should describe what she's wearing.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    Instead of listing the dishes she prepares in the program guide, though, maybe the station should describe what she's wearing.
    Had there been coffee in my mouth when I read this, it'd be all over the screen right now.

Funny boy!
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Hmmmm why do melons come to mind when I see her picture Big juicy melons on a hot summer day...hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Hmmmm why do melons come to mind when I see her picture Big juicy melons on a hot summer day
    Nigella Lawson has her beat...by at least a casaba or two!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

Anthony Bourdain is back.

I don't know which demon he shook hands with, but his former show "A Cook's Tour" is going to run a marathon this Tuesday (Christmas Day, of all days) on the Food Network.

I'm kinda' iffy on that. It was actually kinda' cool hearing him dis the network on his "No Reservations" show. I suppose TFN realized a good thing only after they lost it, and swooned him back handsomely.

Also ironic is that Emeril's show has recently been canceled on TFN. Didn't Emeril and Tony have "issues" with each other?

Some weird stuff happening around there.

Good news is that the Travel Channel is now promoting 'No Reservations' new season, which includes the Hawaii episode we're all so anxious to see!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast